PDA

View Full Version : CPU/GPU Temperature and Monitoring question

Severian126
08-25-07, 10:35 PM
I'm currently using Core Temp to monitor the temperature of my CPU. However, for something that is watercooled it runs pretty damn hot, and I'm a little concerned. Under load I've seen it go as high sa 85c, and idles around 70c after that. Without running anything, it idles at 60-65c.

Is there any cause for concern with these temperatures for an overclocked cpu? Also, I tried Everest and it shows my mobo temp reading at 27c.

how accurate is core temp, and are there other programs that could be more accurate?

Severian126
08-25-07, 10:47 PM
Quick update.

I tried out Speedfan and the temp readings is MUCH MUCH DIFFERENT from Core Temp. I'm getting readings of 50c idle temp. Ummm, ok I'm confused. Which program is right???

And my GPU temp idles around 70c in Rivatuner. Is this reliable as well?

Madpistol
08-26-07, 01:41 AM
Something sounds screwed up. Your processor shouldn't idle that high on STOCK cooling, much less watercooling.

Also, either your case has really bad airflow, or the reading is borked. On rivatuner, my 8800 GTX usually idles around 54~56C. At the worst, I've seen it idle @ 62C, but that's the absolute worse. Either your video card isn't able to breathe, or one (or both) of those readings is borked.

beardstroke
08-26-07, 03:25 AM
Quick update.

I tried out Speedfan and the temp readings is MUCH MUCH DIFFERENT from Core Temp. I'm getting readings of 50c idle temp. Ummm, ok I'm confused. Which program is right???

And my GPU temp idles around 70c in Rivatuner. Is this reliable as well?

my 8800 GTS will idle around 70c but if I use rivatuner to 100% the fan, it will idle just below 60c.

As for your cpu temps, check your BIOS monitoring/temperature/voltages/fan menu for reliable info. I use Speedfan and I trust it, so my bet is your CPU is okay.

Ara23
08-26-07, 10:17 AM
My GTS idles at 52 C, fan is at 85% and I have 3 fans blowing directly on that and the north bridge...biggest load I've seen on it is 60 C (and it's now overclocked to 631/920)

SlieTheSecond
08-26-07, 11:29 AM
Is the block mounted properly?

According to intels site, 65c is the max it should ever go.

Severian126
08-26-07, 11:52 AM
Everything looks find and I called Alienware. I know default it should be that low, but Alienware overclock theirs to 3.3 ghz. upon startup it idles at 40c-45c, but under load I've seen it go as high as 70c, but per core it's around 55-65c per core in Speedfan. core Temp is a little nuts since it's all over the place.

Now for my GPU, it's weird. Right after startup, where my cpu is still 25c, it's already at 65c......is that right? Do GPUs really get that hot THAT fast, or is my sensors bonkers? And I know the cards will run a little hotter because there's 2 of them together, but I didn't think it would be that much hotter.

Also from what I see, airflow is good. CPU is liquid cooled, there's a fairly large fan in the front of the case sucking coool aire, and another blowing onto the cards from the sides, and air is exiting fine out of the back.

not sure how I can improve this since Alienware did all this already. Any other ideas? i already turned the fan speed to 100% and that shaved off 7c from my cards.

Maybe I'm being a lil paranoid? My old PC was running a single 6800 ultra for 3 years and that thing was under loads of 100c constantly with no problems.

Severian126
08-26-07, 10:35 PM
Ok I downloaded everest, and apparently only one of my 8800's fan speed is set to 100%. Not surprisingly, this is the GPU that is running 10c lower. I tried playing around with RivaTuner, but it won't let me set the fan speed for the specific one I want. Any ideas?