PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 8800 GTS 320mb - Random monitor flashes black

tobywong
08-27-07, 11:48 AM
Just upgraded recently and for some reason my monitor occasionally goes black then instantly comes back a second later. It's almost like it's resyncing or something? It seems to be completely random - I can't find any pattern to it. I've triple checked the connections, nothing is loose.

XFX 8800 GTS 320mb
e6750 core duo
Asus P5K mobo
2 gigs mushkin DDR2 800mhz
Thermaltake 650 Watt PSU
viewsonic VP201b 20" LCD
Completely fresh XP SP2 install
Latest certified drivers from nvidia.com

It's very bizarre, I did a 5 hour gaming marathon and it didn't happen once yet another time I was doing a little screenshot touchup in mspaint and it happened 4 times in 2 minutes.

john19055
08-27-07, 01:34 PM
Did it do it with all drivers ,or just the most recent ones.

tobywong
08-27-07, 02:39 PM
Did it do it with all drivers ,or just the most recent ones.

I've only tried the most recent ones. This is on a fresh XP install. You think it could be driver related? Wouldn't it be pretty common since this is their official driver release and the XFX board is reference?

Redeemed
08-27-07, 03:01 PM
I've only tried the most recent ones. This is on a fresh XP install. You think it could be driver related? Wouldn't it be pretty common since this is their official driver release and the XFX board is reference?

Not necessarily. Try some older drivers and see if that helps.

tobywong
08-27-07, 03:05 PM
Ok thanks guys, I'll try a different driver ver and report back. :)

tobywong
09-06-07, 03:19 PM
Well I tried running 163.44 drivers and I'm still getting the same issue. It's so intermittent it's very hard to see any sort of pattern. The one thing I have noticed is that it has never happened while I am playing a game, only while it's at the windows desktop.

Any other ideas?

Jon
09-06-07, 03:38 PM
Have you tried the other dvi port?

tobywong
09-06-07, 04:15 PM
Have you tried the other dvi port?

No I haven't tried that. Does it matter which one you use if you are only going to be using 1?

ATOJAR
09-06-07, 04:20 PM
Use the DVI port closest to the motheboard!

tobywong
09-06-07, 06:06 PM
Use the DVI port closest to the motheboard!

That's the port I have been using all along.

tobywong
09-16-07, 12:45 PM
This is still happening and driving me crazy.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I've never had it happen to me in a game. It only seems to happen at the windows desktop.

Mercilesssyrus
09-16-07, 03:14 PM
REFRESH RATE IN NVIDIA PANEL MIGHT BE SET TO HIGH, CHECK TO MAKE SURE. POST BACK LET ME KNOW IF IT HELPS

tobywong
09-16-07, 11:30 PM
REFRESH RATE IN NVIDIA PANEL MIGHT BE SET TO HIGH, CHECK TO MAKE SURE. POST BACK LET ME KNOW IF IT HELPS

It's set to 60 Hertz (it's a viewsonic vp201 flat panel so this is right). It definitely "feels" like some sort of refresh type issue though the way it flashes black and then immediately comes back. Not sure what could be causing it. =(

balex99
09-17-07, 12:31 AM
I have two friends that have the same problem but they are using 8800 640's and Samsung 204B's. They have fixed it temporarily by using the VGA connection(using the DVI/VGA adapter). There is a post in the Linux forums that talk about this issue and some have solve it buy using Powerstrip and lowering the refresh rate to 59.92 hz I believe. My friends have not tried that yet so not sure it will work with all issues.

Hope this helps.

ncr7002
09-19-07, 06:59 PM
I was hoping to buy an 8800 GTS 320mb to replace my Radeon card due to a very annoying issue with dual LCD displays connected through DVI, where either screen will flicker at random for a millisecond every 20 minutes or so.

From what I've read nVidia cards are not suffering from this issue, but the screen going black seems terrible. I would appreciate any advice on this issue. Given my system specs (signature), do you think if I buy an 8800 GTS I could have this problem ?

The options in my country are somewhat limited, but I was thinking of Gigabyte card, any thoughts on this ?

I would really appreciate any ideas, thoughts or comments. Thanks.

SH0DAN
09-21-07, 11:38 AM
Just upgraded recently and for some reason my monitor occasionally goes black then instantly comes back a second later. It's almost like it's resyncing or something? It seems to be completely random - I can't find any pattern to it. I've triple checked the connections, nothing is loose.

XFX 8800 GTS 320mb
e6750 core duo
Asus P5K mobo
2 gigs mushkin DDR2 800mhz
Thermaltake 650 Watt PSU
viewsonic VP201b 20" LCD
Completely fresh XP SP2 install
Latest certified drivers from nvidia.com

It's very bizarre, I did a 5 hour gaming marathon and it didn't happen once yet another time I was doing a little screenshot touchup in mspaint and it happened 4 times in 2 minutes.

I have had this happen with every LCD I have over the last 10 months since I got my GTS 640.Thats 5 lcd's,from 4 different makers...

Two 17",one 24",one 20",one 19"

Edit,unlike the above poster it does not happen all the time,and for long periods,we are talking a second or two,once or twice a day.

FastRedPonyCar
09-21-07, 12:40 PM
if you have memtest, run it to check system memory. don't ask why, just do it.

tobywong
09-24-07, 04:21 PM
I have had this happen with every LCD I have over the last 10 months since I got my GTS 640.Thats 5 lcd's,from 4 different makers...

Two 17",one 24",one 20",one 19"

Edit,unlike the above poster it does not happen all the time,and for long periods,we are talking a second or two,once or twice a day.

The really weird thing is it's so inconsistent. I might be imagining it but it also seems to be more likely to happen when the machine is cold rather than after it's been on for a while. It's also never happened in a game - not even once. Very bizarre. I submitted a ticket to XFX and I'm now at the stage where they want me to send in my card. Estimated turnaround time is 2 weeks(ugh!) so I'm not sure what to do. I just have this bad feeling if I send it in it will come back 2 weeks later and they will say they never saw the problem once.

tobywong
09-24-07, 04:22 PM
if you have memtest, run it to check system memory. don't ask why, just do it.

Ok I'll give it a try. I'm at the point now where I will try damn near anything.

Redeemed
09-24-07, 04:49 PM
Hey, list us the EXACT PSU you have... I want the model number to be specific...

tobywong
09-24-07, 05:04 PM
Hey, list us the EXACT PSU you have... I want the model number to be specific...

It's a brand new Thermaltake Toughpower W0104RU 650W PSU.

Here are the specs for it:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011014&cid=PS.808