PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bios options, need a bit of help.

[EOCF] Tim
08-29-07, 02:10 PM
There are 3 things that I don't fully understand, and I hope someone can help me with it.

EPP, now I understand what it stands for, I don't really fully understands what it does, it's basically advanced SPD right? But the only options in the bios are the automatic overclocking, like CPUOC X% and CPUOC MAX. Now, from what I gather that basically overclocks the Memory? Does it alter the timings for you?

Let's say I would like to overclock to this and that for the memory, would EPP automatically give the best timings? Not just the main timings, but also the advanced ones? Would it raise voltage? It's all a bit vague, haven't set my rig up yet will do that tomorrow, just trying to understand it all.

Second thing.

The bios option is called HPET Function, which I gather is better then APIC, but only works on Vista? Should I enable it? Almost nothing comes up on Google, kind of frustrating.

Third and last.

What advantage is there to adjusting the HT Multiplier both ways between the MCP and SPP? I'm assuming it could be tricky, and should be left alone?

Thanks. :)

[EOCF] Tim
08-30-07, 05:10 AM
No one? :(

andy_nv
08-30-07, 07:26 AM
Shouldn't there be a separate option in the bios to enable EPP ? And after, depending on the speed (fsb) the memory is set to run at calculate the command rate (CAS...) and voltages automatically ?

At least that's my take on it, I don't know how different motherboard makers implemented it, if it's tied to the auto overclock options or just a separate setting in advanced chipset/memory settings.

[EOCF] Tim
08-30-07, 10:09 AM
Shouldn't there be a separate option in the bios to enable EPP ? And after, depending on the speed (fsb) the memory is set to run at calculate the command rate (CAS...) and voltages automatically ?

At least that's my take on it, I don't know how different motherboard makers implemented it, if it's tied to the auto overclock options or just a separate setting in advanced chipset/memory settings.

That's sadly the only option, the auto OC setting, that's what confuses me.