PDA

View Full Version : Games? Video card? Or?

seeker
08-29-07, 06:28 PM
I just installed a new EVGA 7800GS CO AGP card a couple of days ago, and it worked fine, and most of my games ran at about 60 FPS. But, last night Call OF Duty only ran at about 4-5 FPS for some reason. Thinking that the problem was just in the game itself, I ran a couple of others, and while Kyodai Mahjongg ran at about 300-400 FPS, instead of it's original ~900 FPS, Project Eden ran at it's usual 60 FPS. This leaves me confused if the problem is with the games, or with the card, driver, or ?

As far as I can remember, I hadn't changed any settings that might account for this. Can anyone suggest a direction to look for the problem?

Danothemano
08-29-07, 07:42 PM
Most likely overheating. Try putting some fans in your case.

seeker
08-29-07, 09:02 PM
I have plenty of fans, and monitors on each of them, so I don't believe that is the problem. With Rivatuner I also monitor the graphics card heat, and that stays at about 50-60C, so that isn't an issue either.

beardstroke
08-29-07, 10:08 PM
may want to try driver cleaner pro and reinstall the latest drivers.

seeker
08-29-07, 10:55 PM
I have 162.18 installed, and it is what is recommended by EVGA, and it was installed when the games were operating normally. However, I may reinstall it anyway, if there are no other suggestions, but I'm reluctant to use the driver cleaner pro, because when I tried that once a few months ago, it caused alot of problems on my system.

seeker
09-07-07, 07:14 AM
I'm still troubleshooting this issue and I want to verify something that EVGA support told me. My card is supposed to have a memory clock of 1300MHz, but when I checked it with Rivatuner 2.02 and it shows 648MHz. Support said that this was like system memory and the value had to be doubled to equal their specification. This sounds right, but I would like to hear it from someone else.

nekrosoft13
09-07-07, 07:18 AM
I'm still troubleshooting this issue and I want to verify something that EVGA support told me. My card is supposed to have a memory clock of 1300MHz, but when I checked it with Rivatuner it shows 648MHz. Support said that this was like system memory and the value had to be doubled to equal their specification. This sounds right, but I would like to hear it from someone else.

yes that is correct

ATOJAR
09-07-07, 07:59 AM
yes that is correct

Yip as he said 648MHz x 2 = 1296MHz or 1.296GHz

seeker
09-07-07, 08:24 AM
Thanks, but I'm more in the dark than ever. I just finished doing a clean reinstall of the Nvidia driver, according to EVGA's recommendation, and I got mixed results. While the frame rate of Kyodai returned to it's original value, CoD just got worse...now it is only getting an average of 3.5 frames per minute. This is after reinstalling the game also. One tech at EVGA said that the problem was either the Nvidia driver, or a memory problem on the GPU. Since I have ruled out the driver, that only leaves the graphics card. This leaves me wondering about the value of the memory monitor in Rivatuner? I recall the tech said that in older versions of Rivatuner, that it would have given the full 1300MHz value, but since the tech seemed a bit vague about this, it makes me wonder about his knowledge of the current version. At this point, I'm at a total loss, and the only recourse that I seem to have is to RMA the card, unless someone can give me some alternate suggestions?

CaptNKILL
09-07-07, 08:32 AM
Do you have Doom 3, Quake III, Quake 4, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault or any other OpenGL based games? CoD (the first one) is OpenGL... thats about the only thing I can think of that'd set it apart from the other games so much.

There still isn't any reason it should run so bad, but a driver bug related to OpenGL is the only thing I can think of.

seeker
09-07-07, 08:39 AM
I have none of the other games that you mentioned, so the OpenGL may be the problem, but CoD ran fine for a couple of days after installing the video card. That would lead me to think that if there was a driver bug, that CoD would not have run properly in the first place. But then, I'm only guessing. I know that my old GeForce 6200 ran the game without any problems even with 162.18...I guess that I need to stick it back in to see if it still will.