PDA

View Full Version : Windows boots up then monitor turns off

TRON21Net
04-06-03, 10:34 PM
First off here are my machine specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (200Mhz FSB), 2.75volt
Board: Abit NF7 v1.1 (all hardware enabled: USB, audio, etc..)
Power: 520 watt TTGI TT-520SS
RAM: 512MB PC2700 333MHz, 2.5volt
Video: PNY GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB, 4X mode
Misc.: 2 PCI cards(firewire, ethernet), 3 HDDs(6GB, 20GB, 40GB), Bus Link DVD-ROM Drive.
OS: Windows 2000 Without any service packs(fresh install)

Alright, second I just did a fresh install and went ahead and installed the nForce motherboard drivers so Windows would stop freaking out. Then I installed the graphics drivers. Good thing is that this time during any of the two drivers installation processes the machine didn't just reboot it's self or crash(like it normally does). I guess it is because I had the DDR speed clocked at 266MHz and now I have it clocked at 200MHz which is a whole lot stabler.

Now back to my point. Now ever since I installed the graphics drivers right after Windows 2000 boots up to the point where it should show the loading dialog right before the login prompt, but instead the screen turns off and no activity as I can tell from the hardware. So then I have to hit reset to get anything working.

So, what do I do now? Note that there is not a thing I can do to fix it via BIOS settings since I've already tried every single thing. Is it just me or the newer the drivers the worse the nvidia experience gets?

I also must point out that the video card works perfectly fine on Intel chipset boards and no I will NOT switch to Intel, I prefer AMD machines(a friend tested it out on his PC and it was Intel). :p

dpanter
04-08-03, 05:18 PM
I got the black screen problem a few days ago in WinXP, I just hit reset and it was OK after that. Haven't gotten it since...

It sure sounds like the drivers mess up your system. Boot into safe mode and rid yourself of them.

TRON21Net
04-08-03, 05:20 PM
Then I'll be stuck at 16 colors and the lowest resolution ever. :(

Now what do I do now? :(

saturnotaku
04-08-03, 10:44 PM
Set your processor back to its default speed and see if you experience the same problem.

TRON21Net
04-09-03, 12:20 AM
It is at default speed! As I've said before I've already tried all the BIOS tweaks and such. It is clearly a software problem or that the nForce2 chipset blows ass completely.

darkmiasma
04-09-03, 09:24 AM
the drivers you installed are causing your monitor to run at a refresh rate it can't support, thats why you have no picture ... you can try going the "Last Known Good Configuration" option and then reinstall a different set of drivers ...

or, you can just format and do it over with a different set of drivers, which is probably better anyway.

- mike

dpanter
04-09-03, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by TRON21Net
what do I do now?
Install another driver set and see if that helps. I'm having some reservations against 43.45, lots of strange things are happening since I installed them...

poursoul
04-10-03, 02:33 AM
this guy seems to be really tense and and in a hurry for someone who i asking for help. Anyway, miasma's right. To an extent. It is the refresh rate, the refresh rate doesn't apply it'self 'till the login screen. All you have to do is go into safe mode and change it back to 60Hz. If it is something else about the drivers is messing you up, you can still just go into safe mode and un-install them. That's all, i think.

sebazve
04-10-03, 05:01 PM
i have the same problems with 43.45 and a tnt2 so installed 40.72 that came with the cd and now is ok..is there a way to fix this thing with using an older driver

Haut^Karl
04-23-03, 03:34 PM
Use Safe mode or VGA mode(WinXP).

Immediately after the BIOS screen, press F8 till you get the multi choice list. Choose safe mode. When you get loaded, go to Display properties and choose a resolution and refresh rate that worked before. Now reboot and you will have the new res and refresh. :afro2: