PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Samsung 204B + MSI 8400GS -or- EVGA 7900 GS KO

cyb3rj
08-30-07, 06:56 AM
Funny title, I know. Here's what's happening.

I built a new system (specs below). After running it under Kubuntu 7.04 and WinXP for about 12 days I started noticing two problems:
(1) something that looks like "static" on the screen when I have a dark background (either wallpaper or web page background); this problem is also present in some games (Knights of the Old Republic, for example)
(2) the screen started to flicker (as in blank-out or black-out); sometimes this got so bad that it was blinking many times per second (3-5, I guess).

I assumed this was my card, so I RMA'd it through EVGA (this would be the 7900 GS KO).

This was a big system upgrade for me, so I had no backup PCIE card; I ordered an MSI 8400GS to do the job.

With the MSI I do not get the screen to flicker (yet?), but the "static" is still present. Another difference to note between these cards is that the EVGA requires the PCIE power from the PSU whereas the MSI does not (don't know if that detail is important).

Neither card seems to go over 60C. I've run some stress testing tools through nTune, and the integrity check says all is well regardless of which card is installed (it clearly cannot see my monitor...).

I'm at a complete loss as to what the problem is. I'd appreciate any wisdom in this area. I'm guessing that the problem might not be the card, but I see other issues here with making adjustments for a SyncMaster 204B. I'm starting to be concerned the problem may be the MOBO or PSU given that both cards demonstrate at least one common problem.

Specs:
ASUS P5W-DH, C2D E6750, Crucial Ballistix (2x1GB) DDR2 1066, Seasonic M12 SS500HM. 2 90mm case fans on front; 1 90mm case fan out back. I started with an EVGA 7900GS KO; I presently have an MSI 8400GS while I wait for my replacement 7900GS KO.

cyb3rj
08-30-07, 07:04 AM
I just found this post; this always happens to me. I've spend several hours searching on this issue...

Link (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82982&highlight=%28samsung+syncmaster%29+204b)

Now I'm hoping I haven't returned a perfectly good card...

cyb3rj
08-30-07, 11:05 AM
I'll continue talking to myself...

Almost 3 hours of tests using nTune and 4 hours of continuous running, I am seeing ZERO "static". I'll need to test Linux, but this appears to have fixed the problem under Windows XP. In another 4 hours I'll be able to check to see if the screen is blacking out. If that isn't happening, I'm sure I can get this to work under Linux.

BTW, if anyone has any other, better, video benchmarking tools (for Windows or Linux -- and freeware) to suggest, I'd like to try them.

John Lance
02-17-08, 09:42 PM
I am pleased to report that setting up two custom resolutions in the nVidia control panel with the "CVT reduced blank" option under the "Advanced" tab has worked fine with my two Samsung 204B monitors running via DVI.

That control applet of nVidia's can be a bit weird. It took me two times to get the settings saved, after reboots. The settings did not come up after a reboot the first time. Now it comes back consistently.

I am using an xfxForce 8600 GT with 512 megs of memory with a slight OC going on which was set up through the Riva Tuner.

I am wondering what to do about this really, because I believe that Samsung should recall these things and/or issue real fixes. This is an otherwise really nice monitor that doesn't meet full DVI specs, even though Samsung says it does.

This works, and so far as I see it nVidia is the only one supporting it. If they stopped supporting this I would have about $700 worth of junk. 3 year warranty on the monitors. What about a class action? Anyone? Do we have some lawyers around?

Before finding this one thread, I was experiencing the same stuff about everyone else here has had with snow, monitors cutting off, monitors trying to reset and resync, monitors syncing up to the wrong x by y setting like 2048 by something else I can't remember. It was a most irritating mess and it hasn't come without additional cost to the tune of swapping graphics cards and power supply.

Still, maybe Samsung products are not to be in my future.