PDA

View Full Version : Any news on a AM2+ Nvidia Chipset?

dazzo82
08-30-07, 03:21 PM
I was wondering if Nvidia was planning a AM2+ chipset to support Phenom? Slap my dual 8800 gtx's in X4 Phenom platform:captnkill:

Monolyth
08-30-07, 03:29 PM
Not that I've heard/seen.

I'd wait dude, no word yet on Phenom performance (that's reliable). Just a suggestion dazz, don't be so locked into one manufacturer you might fail to see the great products released by their competitors.

dazzo82
08-30-07, 03:32 PM
Well I have a E4300 OC'ed to 3.3 GHZ and a 8800GTX and I love it but I have always been a amd fan and I guess I just hope they pull through on phenom series so we can keep this price war going.

Monolyth
08-30-07, 03:58 PM
I agree, but unfortunately as I and many other's here have observed it appears AMD will be in a downswing for a bit, that is until Intel; a. charges too much, b. slacks on quality/performance or c. any mix of a & b.

Anyways, we won't really know till we start seeing some respected/reliable reviews. Until then keep your fingers crossed dazz, and perhaps gimme a little more cowbell...

nightmare beta
08-30-07, 04:32 PM
I actually can't tell any speed difference between my e6300 (manufactured before 2007) and my parents AMD 3800+ X2. I personally think that a cpu upgrade isn't the best idea for this year, because you'll need a PCI-E PPU (when it comes out) to get max enjoyment out of UT3, even though they could just use the CPU for the physx, but they're not. Then the Xprelude looks good. I have yet to see them for sale though.

If crysis (or any other game) were to require a quad core CPU for max quality physics, then a quad core would be a good upgrade, IMO. I doubt that will happen, however.

dazzo82
08-30-07, 05:54 PM
I would not buy an PPU right now. I do not see the need for a dedicated physics processor, with quad and octo cores in the mix or soon coming, I think programmers will go that route. Upgrading your processor is the very smart thing to do if you have a high end video card, I had a pentium D with dual GTX's and my FPS increase when I switched to a core 2 @ 3.3 GHZ was amazing. I personally am looking forward for the new AMD Phenom, Having the memory controller on the CPU means I can use my DDR2 ballistix 1066 for some time and be able to skip the price gouging of DDR3 on the intel platforms.

Libertysyclone
08-30-07, 10:24 PM
I am sure that NVIDIA has a AM2+/AM3 board in the works, they always do ;)

as far as PPUs go, the 8 series has the quantum effects engine too, and yes with multicore CPUs programmers will have more freedom with threading.

nightmare beta
09-01-07, 07:22 PM
I would not buy an PPU right now. I do not see the need for a dedicated physics processor, with quad and octo cores in the mix or soon coming, I think programmers will go that route. Upgrading your processor is the very smart thing to do if you have a high end video card, I had a pentium D with dual GTX's and my FPS increase when I switched to a core 2 @ 3.3 GHZ was amazing. I personally am looking forward for the new AMD Phenom, Having the memory controller on the CPU means I can use my DDR2 ballistix 1066 for some time and be able to skip the price gouging of DDR3 on the intel platforms.

Software is definately the smartest way to go in the future, but even though that may be, it doesn't currently change the fact that a PhysX PPU will be required for best physics in a few games already out and at least 1 (UT3 in the future.)

I'm going to buy a PPU when a pci-e version comes out, b/c I'm the type that will buy a piece of hardware for just one game. I don't think PPU's have a bright future ahead of them, but games currently exist that require a PPU for max physics effects, even though they could just as easily do it with the GPU.