PDA

View Full Version : LOUD!! Fans on XFX 680i LT SLI, what the heck?

[EOCF] Tim
08-31-07, 06:44 AM
Just installed the mobo, hooked everything up, but the racket these fans make is unbelievable, the only option in the bios is taking it from 100% to 50%, and then still it's just too way too much. Why can't I use Smartfan for those fans as well?

The MCP (Southbridge) sound is worse I think because the videocard (8800GTS) is blocking it, if I put it to 50% it makes this weird resonating sound.

I had a DFI SLI-D (Nforce4) and that one was bearable cause you could adjust everything you want, fans speedup etc.

But this is horrible, sometimes I get horrendous cap noise aswell.

Is this just me being picky, or do others have this problem too, and more importantly, what can I do about it?

It's driving me mad. :headexplode:

PaiN
08-31-07, 07:40 AM
That fan noise drove me out of my mind, also.....and heat was uncontrollable without it....Its the sole reason I gave up on nV chipset boards.

imo...you're not being "picky" the fans used on 680/650 grind at the most annoying levels I've ever heard, a design flaw that needs to be corrected before I ever consider another nV based board

[EOCF] Tim
08-31-07, 07:50 AM
Ugh, I suppose nobody does aftermarket 680i style passive heatpipe cooling? (NB and SB)

How about something like a Vantec Iceberq? I'm really curious what people do about it? It must annoy the majority.

Eliminator
08-31-07, 08:38 AM
/loves passive cooling on asus p5b deluxe :)

[EOCF] Tim
08-31-07, 09:23 AM
/loves passive cooling on asus p5b deluxe :)

That doesn't really help me. :)

Darth Rancid
08-31-07, 11:34 AM
Fan noise does drive you mad, it's what it does. Not sure how one could possibly quietly cool a G80 SLI setup.. but I suppose a massive water cooling system is your only hope for quietness...

PaiN
08-31-07, 11:47 AM
Tim']Ugh, I suppose nobody does aftermarket 680i style passive heatpipe cooling? (NB and SB)

How about something like a Vantec Iceberq? I'm really curious what people do about it? It must annoy the majority.
That's the trouble, there is nothing(at least when I was looking) that would have been effective....I wouldn't trust those old style NB coolers like the Iceburg. I tried "angling-in" with zip-ties a 70mmx15mm fan ...but it wasn't much more quiet and without direct flow on the NB, temps soared

jeffmd
08-31-07, 12:01 PM
That fan noise drove me out of my mind, also.....and heat was uncontrollable without it....Its the sole reason I gave up on nV chipset boards.

imo...you're not being "picky" the fans used on 680/650 grind at the most annoying levels I've ever heard, a design flaw that needs to be corrected before I ever consider another nV based board

Your right, my evga said "assisted (by the cpu fan)" chipset cooling was enough on my 680iSLI, but when I did my initial temp checks after building it, the chipset temp kept going up and up. Now admitedly, the airflow on the thermal right I stuck in there is probably not effecting it (fan and fins are high up), but a more active solution was required. Thankfully my mobo did come with the fan attachment for the chipset heatsink, and while max speed was quite noisy compared to all the other slow 120mm fans, slowing it to 50% is barely audible and should be enough for non overclocked operation.

jcrox
08-31-07, 12:13 PM
They are a bit noisy but not too bad once you drop the speed to 50% in the bios and yeah, really sucks that with an 8800 the one fan is covered up, So you can't even replace it with an after market product.

J-Mag
08-31-07, 01:55 PM
Why don't you replace the southbridge HSF with a Thermalright HR-05 or HR-05 SLI?

[EOCF] Tim
08-31-07, 04:04 PM
Why don't you replace the southbridge HSF with a Thermalright HR-05 or HR-05 SLI?

SLI would fit, but I'm thinking less drastic. I mean the Vantec Iceberq would be miles better then that little chipset fan, and dead silent aswell, and I think
it would fit, just checked.

Didn't Jakup have one on his SB? :)

buffbiff21
08-31-07, 04:37 PM
Solution: ditch 680i.

Nvidia chipsets have always run far hotter than the "competition." The Striker is the only board that I can conceive eliminating the NB turbine fan.

[EOCF] Tim
08-31-07, 05:31 PM
Solution: ditch 680i.

Nvidia chipsets have always run far hotter than the "competition." The Striker is the only board that I can conceive eliminating the NB turbine fan.

How is that a solution? I just bought this board, not going to replace it, anyway I like it so far, just the noise is a bit too much. :o

J-Mag
08-31-07, 05:41 PM
Tim']SLI would fit, but I'm thinking less drastic. I mean the Vantec Iceberq would be miles better then that little chipset fan, and dead silent aswell, and I think
it would fit, just checked.

I've never used an Iceberq, but most fans of that size are annoying IMO.

[EOCF] Tim
08-31-07, 06:04 PM
I've never used an Iceberq, but most fans of that size are annoying IMO.

Reviews say it's quiet. :)

J-Mag
08-31-07, 06:17 PM
Tim']Reviews say it's quiet. :)

Yeah I thought my DFI sink was quiet too, until I put in two 8800gtxs...

It may be that your environment is radically different from whatever review.

SOAD
09-01-07, 07:30 AM
hmm.. I was wondering. My 680i chipset fan is extremely noisy when my PC is overclocked. I was wondering is there any other way to cool it effectively while giving me some semblance of peace.

cheers