PDA

View Full Version : Advice on BREAKING a HDD so I can return it.

XDanger
08-31-07, 10:16 PM
I need to break one of my 36gb raptors so I can get a replacement, It doesnt work striped but still works so I dont think they'll take it.

I need to keel it.

SH64
08-31-07, 11:39 PM
:bleh:

nekrosoft13
09-01-07, 01:12 AM
take a battery and shock the circuit board

Starscream
09-01-07, 02:06 AM
Just smack it around a bit while it's on, it will develop bad clusters in no time and you'll be able to rma it. Actually a drive doesn't actually have to have anything wrong with it to rma it, you just tell them it's broken and do an advance rma and that's that.

XDanger
09-01-07, 07:26 AM
Its 2nd hand shop fodder, They test everything.
http://shutter15.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/10/00A/5C/B5/EB/21/QrXKT8e4SAgfkRnoJlZ7FPc4y8NfUFX401DC.jpg

The reallocated sector count is very high ,Its nearly deaded i think.

nekrosoft13
09-01-07, 02:01 PM
actually high is good

when number goes down, to less then 140 is possible problems

SOAD
09-01-07, 06:05 PM
put it in the microwave or on top of your subwoofer.

Alternatively keep pulling the power and data out

Rakeesh
09-02-07, 12:22 AM
Subwoofer, or any other magnet for that matter, won't kill it. All that does is f*ck up the data contained on it, but a format will fix that.

What you want to do is something that will damage the inside without leaving marks on the outside that will void the warranty. Microwave will leave many marks.

Shake the crap out of it while it is reading/writing data, maybe even bang it against the table while it is doing that, but not too much that there is physical damage visible on the outside. That will cause the heads to either come into contact with the platters (very bad) or cause them to jam, damaging the motor that moves them (also very bad.)

$n][pErMan
09-02-07, 01:37 AM
So why the hell are you not just RMA'ing it again? They will take the drive no questions asked and send you a new one if you do advanced RMA.

PaiN
09-02-07, 08:14 AM
[pErMan']So why the hell are you not just RMA'ing it again? They will take the drive no questions asked and send you a new one if you do advanced RMA.
really XDanger, wanting to break the drive is kind of numb...it dosn't work stripped(as you said) so it dosn't work....ding! send it back

lightman
09-02-07, 08:18 AM
To the ones suggesting to smack it... You do realize that some drives have accelerometers in them and they register the highest acceleration the drive had (that is, shock sensor), do you ? And some manufacturers will refuse to exchange the drive if they find out that it went over some threshold (that is, if it's been smacked)... Not the smartest thing to do.

Besides, if the drive is fine in single drive operation, and HDTune doesn't report any SMART error, and an error scan doesn't report any error either, then the drive probabily isn't the culprit here.

I would suggest trying a full scan with HD Tune in order to be sure that the drive is effectively damaged (which, by your posts and the Speedfan screenshot, I'm quite sure is not, by the way)... If it's not, the problem probabily lies in you raid controller...

XDanger
10-03-07, 02:35 PM
Would a bad raid controller make the drive CLUNK?

J-Mag
10-03-07, 03:16 PM
To the ones suggesting to smack it... You do realize that some drives have accelerometers in them and they register the highest acceleration the drive had (that is, shock sensor), do you ? And some manufacturers will refuse to exchange the drive if they find out that it went over some threshold (that is, if it's been smacked)... Not the smartest thing to do.

Where have you seen this? I know Lenovo (IBM) puts accelerometers in their Laptops, but I have never heard of desktop drives using them...

khellandros66
10-03-07, 03:59 PM
:rolleyes:

take a 9v battery and a paperclip, you can figure out the rest.... best way to destroy a drive's circuits, such as a mem chip or the control chip on it. I dod this with drives that have un-recerable sectors. This way even somone with malicious intent tries to recover sensitive data, they can't and the 9v batt trick rarely leave a scorch or mark.

~Bobby

lightman
10-04-07, 05:42 AM
Where have you seen this? I know Lenovo (IBM) puts accelerometers in their Laptops, but I have never heard of desktop drives using them...

I friend of mine worked for Maxtor, and he once told me that they checked for the maximum shock the drive endured before swapping it for a new one.

That said, I can't seem to find any reference on the web, so it could have been bull****.

Oh, by the way, Lenovo are not the only ones with an accelerometer, the Powerbooks had it, and I think the new MacBooks have it, too :)

Edit: I just found an interesting patent that leads me to believe my friend wasn't lying : http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5923487.html

Edit (2) : Seems like the Raptor X has one, too : http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/wd-raptor-x_2.html , though I don't know if it's used to record hte maximum acceleration, too...

lightman
10-04-07, 05:48 AM
This way even somone with malicious intent tries to recover sensitive data, they can't

Unless they simply find another drive that is exactly the same and exchange the control boards, that is...

I did it once to recover some data on a Maxtor that died because of a faulty ide controller. Worked like a charm.

verboten
10-04-07, 02:26 PM
XDanger,

I don't know if your still looking for a way to break your raptor but I had accidentally broke mine and RMA'd it. Break the piece around the sata cable connector so the cable won't say on.

Absolution
10-04-07, 02:39 PM
why are you worrying about breaking it? have you seen the WD RMA Page?

There is maybe space for 20 characters max. I could hardly type "IO Errors" for a description.

XDanger
10-06-07, 09:37 AM
XDanger,

I don't know if your still looking for a way to break your raptor but I had accidentally broke mine and RMA'd it. Break the piece around the sata cable connector so the cable won't say on.
Funny you should say that but the other one is already broken, stupid right angle plug.

Riptide
10-06-07, 10:37 AM
Microwave? Aren't you supposed to keep metal objects out of those things?

Capt. Picard
10-06-07, 11:12 AM
Microwave? Aren't you supposed to keep metal objects out of those things?

Don't you watch Mythbusters?

Riptide
10-06-07, 11:17 AM
Don't you watch Mythbusters?
Apparently I missed that one.

giverz
10-06-07, 06:24 PM
place it on the top of ur head head, then have someone take an axe and smash into it.