PDA

View Full Version : What is this 4gb X-fi bug?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
09-01-07, 03:11 PM
Soon I will be moving to 4Gb ram. What is this 4gb x-fi bug that some people been complaining about?

jAkUp
09-01-07, 03:23 PM
Only happens in Windows xp64 i think, basically you cant turn on EAX effects.

radekhulan
09-01-07, 03:53 PM
X-Fi + 4GB (now 8GB) + Vista x64 work great for me

Jon
09-01-07, 03:59 PM

And me!

Shocky
09-01-07, 04:16 PM
X-Fi + 2GB + Vista x64 work great for me. :captnkill:

Slammin
09-01-07, 05:14 PM
Works fine here too but I some point in the past, I was getting the snap/crackle/pop on reboots, that required you to disable/re-enable the X-Fi. The latest driver from Creative o few months ago seems to have cured it.

Pyr0
09-01-07, 08:20 PM
i use modded drivers for my X-Fi (they work in XP and Vista) and have no problems enabling EAX when I have 4x1GB of mem installed
http://www.youp-pax.org/viewthread.php?tid=362&extra=page%3D1

edit: XP x64 is my main OS with Vista Ult. x64 second

$n][pErMan
09-02-07, 02:40 AM
4GB ram + X-Fi + Vista(32-Bit) works great for me...

JaxMacFL
09-02-07, 10:01 AM
I had/have that problem (along with a slew of other people) with god-awful loud static when I went from 2 to 4 gigs of ram with my vista business 64 bit. It seems to have popped up with one of MS's recent updates/hot fixes and creatives latest vista 64 bit drivers of late. Both creative and auzentech (prelude) are addressing it. Something about both ms and creative are trying to occupy the same memory space. The work-a-round way I found was to disable memory remapping in the bios. That comes with a trade off of 768MBs of system ram. On boot up I see 3328 vice 4096, but I have use of my xfi card. I'm getting the auzentech prelude as soon as it is readily available around here, assuming the problem has been addressed.

Geo
09-04-07, 12:43 PM
Hey, thanks for this thread, as it inspired me to give my Xfi a try again. It quit working (gadawful hissing) when I went to 4GB (from 2GB) in July (on Vista Ultimate x64), even with the Creative 5/30 driver set.

But I never took the card out of my box, nor uninstalled the 5/30 drivers. I just disabled the device in device manager, enabled the onboard sound, and switched the speaker jack.

So after seeing this thread, I reenabled the device, switched the jack back. . .and it's HEALED. I then rebooted, stopping off to disable the onboard sound in the mainboard BIOS, and stuff still works. :)

Yippee, etc.

p.s. This thread is actually the #1 google result for "creative X-Fi 4GB bug"

nekrosoft13
09-04-07, 12:53 PM
i will let you know my results, since i will be going 4gb this week.

XDanger
09-06-07, 07:39 PM
8gb and still using Readyboost , U Krazy Ukranian

gabamanic
09-06-07, 08:23 PM
I am using Vista 64 along with 4gigs of ram and have had zero problems out of my Creative XFI extremegamer card. No popping, cracking or any thing at all. Everything works perfect.

You just have to make sure that you use the special install CD for Vista That creative tries to rip people off for an additional cost:rolleyes: I downloaded my copy from rapidshire.com for free and burned it to a DVD.LOL.

nekrosoft13
09-06-07, 08:55 PM
i been running with 4gb for 6 hours, no issues so far.

This x-fi 4gb bug seems like another myth made up to scare the children

gabamanic
09-06-07, 08:58 PM

No its not a myth, just go over to the Creative forums and see the post with all the problems. LOL. Mad people over there.

nekrosoft13
09-06-07, 09:02 PM
i seen creative forums, just a bunch of idiots posting the same **** over and over again.

biggest bunch of retards there.

breathemetal
09-06-07, 09:02 PM

Why do you need 8 gbs?

gabamanic
09-06-07, 09:06 PM
Why do you need 8 gbs?

I always hated it when people used to ask me why I needed 4gbs :rolleyes: Because I just wanted it damnit! thats why.

4gbs and 8gbs are both over kill atm but if it makes you happy to have it and you can afford it then why not?

gabamanic
09-06-07, 09:07 PM
i seen creative forums, just a bunch of idiots posting the same **** over and over again.

biggest bunch of retards there.

I agree, its hilarious to read those forums. I posted there once to tell everyone how happy I was with my extremegamer card and Vista 64 and they all jumped on me all at once calling me a Liar etc..... LOL.

Greasy
09-06-07, 09:09 PM

That's great news because my 4GB of G.Skill arrives tomorrow. :)

nekrosoft13
09-06-07, 09:09 PM
radek posted few times that he runs 2-3 virtual machines at the same time so he needs more memory.

vista main OS, XP, and two other Linux machines in virtual machine.

gabamanic
09-06-07, 09:12 PM
That's great news because my 4GB of G.Skill arrives tomorrow. :)

Did you get the DDR2 800 4 4 3 5 ram? Thats what I have 4gbs of. It will clock up to 950mhz at 4 4 4 5 pretty easily ;)

Right now I have it at 850mhz 4 4 3 5 for daily use. You cant beat this ram for the $$$

Greasy
09-06-07, 09:37 PM
Did you get the DDR2 800 4 4 3 5 ram? Thats what I have 4gbs of. It will clock up to 950mhz at 4 4 4 5 pretty easily ;)

Right now I have it at 850mhz 4 4 3 5 for daily use. You cant beat this ram for the $$$

That's the stuff I got. Glad to hear you're happy with it.

gabamanic
09-06-07, 09:54 PM
That's the stuff I got. Glad to hear you're happy with it.

Well up until now all I ever owned was crucial because I didnt trust any other brand. However Gskill has proven to be just as solid.

Only thing you should know however is that the heatspreaders for this ram is pretty weak so the ram can get pretty warm if you overclock it. I have a cooler on mine and it really made a huge difference as the ram went from warm to the touch to being very cool to the touch.

JaxMacFL
09-07-07, 09:41 AM
Well up until now all I ever owned was crucial because I didnt trust any other brand. However Gskill has proven to be just as solid.

Only thing you should know however is that the heatspreaders for this ram is pretty weak so the ram can get pretty warm if you overclock it. I have a cooler on mine and it really made a huge difference as the ram went from warm to the touch to being very cool to the touch.

When I went to 4GB of memory I noticed my mb temp went up to around 52c. I found this item, coolit system ram fan, while checking out ram coolers and got it. To my surprise it knocked my mb temp back to around 42c. Well worth the price.

Link: http://www.epowerhousepc.com/coolit-systems-p-787.html