PDA

View Full Version : The sniffles

ralinn
09-01-07, 04:38 PM
I was wondering... be honest now. Has any game ever made you cry? Has there ever been a dramatic/sad scene where you've shed a tear?

I can honestly say yes. I admire games that can do that to me, only two so far though:

FF7 (the obvious scene)
The Darkness (too new to give away any spoilers) This is a song from the soundtrack that chokes me up now... and may be concidered a spoiler http://youtube.com/watch?v=guvohujDdEQ&mode=related&search=

Anyone else? Come on, be honest. You'll only gain respect from me :)

nightmare beta
09-01-07, 06:01 PM
Yes, every hardcore gamer has shed tears over games' stories if they've shed tears over the story of a movie.

It's nothing to be embarassed about.

In fact, it's something to be proud of.

Castlevania Lament of Innocence was pretty damn sad. Not only did Leon Belmont fail to save his "betrothed," he actually had to kill her, and he forgot to tell Sara that he would love her forever. Then, the second half of Lament of Innocence's sad-assness was the fact that Leon chose to terminate his best friendship with Mathias, and Leon made sure all of his "kinsmen" would fight Mathias, who would later change his name to Count Vlad Tepes Dracula III. I thought Leon was at fault, because it was really Walter that was responsible for Sara's death and he shouldn't have taken it out on Mathias like that.

OK, SotN shed me some tears as well. The conversation between Alucard and Dracula was very dramatic after Alucard defeated his father.

Countless other games have made me cry as well.

Games are often happier than movies, b/c movies can only end one way, and games usually give the chance of a good ending or successful rescue attempt.

crainger
09-01-07, 07:03 PM
Unreal 2 ended kinda sad. Oh and Homeworld's closing music made me a little emotional. As did Jade Empire's.

Bman212121
09-01-07, 07:04 PM
Unreal 2 ended kinda sad. Oh and Homeworld's closing music made me a little emotional. As did Jade Empire's.

*Waits for beagle to come in and make fun of Gib-McBearCrainger*

NarcissistZero
09-01-07, 10:48 PM
I don't think any game has ever made me literally cry, but neither has any movie barring one exception (Schindler's List) and only one TV show (Six Feet Under).

Many games have given me an emotional reaction though, be it intense sadness or what-have-you... The Darkness and Final Fantasy VII are good choices I agree with, another being Final Fantasy VI.

I think it's mostly a recent thing that games are so cinematic and advanced they can really hit your heart strings. Final Fantasy VI is really special for being a sprite-based SNES game and having that kind of power.

Other games have given me other emotions, like a great feeling of accomplishment and heroism from beating Halo, or the intense feeling of being watched and hunted from Half Life 2. BioShock's big twist literally had me agasp in awe of its ability to mess with my head and explain everything I was questioning earlier.

Games are getting pretty awesome.

crainger
09-02-07, 02:07 AM

As far as I know she steers clear of the gaming section. Maybe if there was a Sims 2 thread. :D

Capt. Picard
09-02-07, 02:12 AM
I once cried when I lost my System Shock 2 saved game files.

crainger
09-02-07, 02:17 AM
I once cried when I lost my System Shock 2 saved game files.

I know that feels. I lost mine too, Took me years to get around to playing it again and finally finishing it.

beagle
09-02-07, 06:26 AM

Actually I was gonna agree with Crainger about Jade Empire, beautiful music. I was waiting for him to mention Hitman as well though.

As far as I know she steers clear of the gaming section. Maybe if there was a Sims 2 thread.

Yeah Sims 2... always gets me emotional... ;)

Zeta
09-02-07, 07:16 AM
Are you all kidding that you have actually cried??

I can honestly say I have never even came close to crying from a game I have played. Not even close.

I don't know what that says about me. I guess I am that heartless...

Mr. Hunt
09-02-07, 07:36 AM
Oh Zeta you're as cold as ice.

WILLING TO SACRIFICE OUR LOVE!

I seen it before, happens all the time...

Wait what?

crainger
09-02-07, 07:38 AM
Actually I was gonna agree with Crainger about Jade Empire, beautiful music. I was waiting for him to mention Hitman as well though.

Yeah Sims 2... always gets me emotional... ;)

Yeah Blood Money was a little sad at the end. Until I worked out how to get 47 up and go to town on everyone.

He also killed his little birdy. That made me sad too :(

No Zeta, I didn't cry. Well maybe a little on the inside... :cry: