PDA

View Full Version : Looking to go into Dual Core...939 ><

K007
09-01-07, 11:25 PM
Well my motherboard is still 939, and has a single core cpu atm, i want to switch into the dual cores, i am wondering, atm what would be the best x2 to go for with my current spec. Looking through all the dual core chips..they seem to be alot cheaper than when i first wanted to get them along time ago..and seeing that most of the recent games take good advantage of dual core..i think my gx2 can still give some good fps with a dual core to back it up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

EDIT: Seems like i cant find any X2 939 anymore....O.o..its all AM2...which i dont think i can support unless i switch out the motherboard -.-.

mojoman0
09-01-07, 11:38 PM
haha i started a thread like this a couple days ago. I just bought an x2 4200 from newegg for about 80 bucks. they should still have them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103053

|MaguS|
09-01-07, 11:43 PM
Save your money and go Core 2...

K007
09-02-07, 02:04 AM
Be a bit hard to get from USA site -.-. I am from Australia.

Yea i was looking at the C2D stuff as well, but that means ill have to replace RAM / Motherboard...don't really see the point -.-.

Redeemed
09-02-07, 02:34 AM
Don't forget about the dual-core optys for s939. ;)

K007
09-02-07, 02:47 AM
Whats the difference between the Dual Core Opts and the X2 ones? (They are also seem to be pretty expensive...).. Never really expected them to vanish -.-. Seems like AM2 is where its at atm...they are pretty cheap, but if i am force to buy a new motherboard/ram, i would be going C2D..and atm i dont see the need for going that far into an upgrade as of yet...current rig is doing pretty alright in 1280x960 ress for me atm, and i think a Dual Core would add a bit more extra with games like Bioshock which seems to be making good use of Dual Cores ><.

Ill email my regular shop guy see what they have ><

On the other hand i might as well wait for the Next Nvidia GPU -.-..its not too far off either, and see how Crysis handles it -.-.

crainger
09-02-07, 03:07 AM
In AU eBay seems to be your only shot, maybe the FS threads over at Atomic, but you have to be fast. The 939s are snapped up very quickly.

Importing from the US mightn't be too bad if the site supports International shipping. A CPU is pretty small, and boxed ones travel fine. Shouldn't be too expensive as the Aussie dollar is pretty strong right now.

nekrosoft13
09-06-07, 07:42 AM
Yea i was looking at the C2D stuff as well, but that means ill have to replace RAM / Motherboard...don't really see the point -.-.

if you go AM2 is the same story

C2D or AM2 you will have to get CPU, board and ram, just with C2D you get better performance

nekrosoft13
09-06-07, 07:44 AM
Whats the difference between the Dual Core Opts and the X2 ones?

nothing really, Optys are generally better quality(meant for servers), and OC more.

K007
09-06-07, 08:44 AM
if you go AM2 is the same story

C2D or AM2 you will have to get CPU, board and ram, just with C2D you get better performance

Aye hence why i dont want to do a upgrade to AM2 either..which is why i rather go upgrade to C2D anyway.I simply want to have the "Dual Core' for games that take advantage of it...but those CPU's are very hard to get hold of atm...I might just get a Opt...depending on cost..