PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a PS3...

Pages : [1] 2

pkirby11
09-02-07, 07:51 PM
And had a couple of questions for PS3 owners. First, just curious as to what good games I should look at. I know there aren't a huge bundle of games but there are a few I've heard of. I like Shooters, RPG, Adventure and simulation to name a few. Not really into racing or sports so those are out of the picture. Any thoughts would be great, I plan to use it mainly for a BluRay Player at the moment but I know there are some games coming I want for it also.

Second how tall is it sitting horizontally? I know its an odd question but I have a space about 4 IN. tall to sit it in and I wanted to know if it would fit. :D

Last but not least, I plan to hook it up to my Dell 2707 and wanted to get some opinions. It has no HDMI and the DVI is being used for the computer. Should I just go with Component and do 1080i or should I get a switch box and get a DVI switcher? I've seen some but I don't know how good they are. Any thoughts welcome but please keep them constructive, I know the PS3 lacks may really great games ATM but I know there will be some I want and I want a BD player. I already have X360 with HD-DVD but not all movies come on HD-DVD. :D Thanks!

|MaguS|
09-02-07, 08:07 PM
For games I would recommend Resistance, Motorstorm, F1 Championship, Virtua Fighter (if you have an X360 wait for its version), WarHawk, The Darkness, Tekken 5 DR Online and Super Stardust HD. Don't forget about the huge back catalog of the PS2... it houses some of the most must play games in recent history.

As for sticking it in a 4" Space, while I don't think the system would overheat... it's not smart. The system gets really hot... hotter then the X360 and it ejects the air very well. The back of my entertainment unit is hot due to it.

To hook it up to your monitor, use an HDMI to DVI connector or component. I wouldn't trust a switch box to keep the quality good.

Bman212121
09-02-07, 08:47 PM
The PS3 is exactly 4" tall, so it would be a tight squeeze. Like Magus said though, it isn't a good idea at all because of heat problems. The PS3 has vents on several sides in order to give proper airflow.

I don't see a problem with using a DVI switcher, just get a passive one and you don't have to worry about it supporting HDCP or anything since it doesn't interfere. I've hooked my PS3 up to my 2407 using the DVI @ 1080p and it looks pretty sweet. I would probably try it using an HDMI to DVI cable and see if you like it, and maybe even just run the pc via the analog instead.

buffbiff21
09-02-07, 10:16 PM
Armored Core 4 is the only game that interests me at the moment.

Played it at Target and it was quite awesome. System seller, though? No.

Saintster
09-02-07, 11:19 PM
RFOM,Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Madden 08

DarkJedi664
09-02-07, 11:26 PM
I have an HDMI switch box right now, my PC and my 360 are connected, and there's no loss in quality at all. Simply great if you ask me. HDMI on the 360 is nothing short of amazing!

crainger
09-02-07, 11:50 PM
I have an HDMI switch box right now, my PC and my 360 are connected, and there's no loss in quality at all. Simply great if you ask me. HDMI on the 360 is nothing short of amazing!

Same here. It's digital so there should be no loss in quality at all.

pkirby11
09-03-07, 12:25 AM
Got any brand name suggestions on the one's you guys use crainger of DarkJedi664? I have my X360 hooked up through VGA at this time so the VGA port is filled on my monitor, it's a switch box or component.

As for the space, the air flow shouldn't be a problem if it vents it out the side and back, my X360 sits in the same space. It's very open on the sides and back, the air gets out fine it's just that I'm not sure it will fit. So I wanted to know the size. :D

Thanks for the thoughts, I will definetly look into Resistance and Warhawk. I had a PS2 so I've plaed most of the games I wanted play except Final Fantasy 12 which I heard was good. Anyone tried it on the PS3?

crainger
09-03-07, 12:38 AM
Right now I'm using the little HDMI switch EB gave me when I got the PS3. It's Joytech I think. It's cheap, basic. 3 inputs, can be USB or mains powered if needed. Has a little remote. works well on my Harmony too.

Doesn't like my HDTV PVR though. Luckily my TV has two HDMI ports. So HDTV in one. and PS3 and PC share the second via the switch.

My 360 is hooked up via component. Got mine before the HDMI versions. Nothing wrong with component, just make sure you get decent cables.

pkirby11
09-03-07, 12:46 AM
Right now I'm using the little HDMI switch EB gave me when I got the PS3. It's Joytech I think. It's cheap, basic. 3 inputs, can be USB or mains powered if needed. Has a little remote. works well on my Harmony too.

Doesn't like my HDTV PVR though. Luckily my TV has two HDMI ports. So HDTV in one. and PS3 and PC share the second via the switch.

My 360 is hooked up via component. Got mine before the HDMI versions. Nothing wrong with component, just make sure you get decent cables.

I think I might just give component a shot, how ever I got to decide were to put it. :( My desk is rather small and I had a great place lined up but I think it's going to be a bit too tall. My X360 fits so nicely I was hoping the PS3 would fit nice on the oposite side. :D

Ohh, well thanks for the help. I will figure it out and make it work hopefully.

P.S.

Stupid question but I've never liked rulers. :) 3.86 IN. would be what measurement on a ruler? Just curious cause that's about excactly the height of a PS3. Thanks for the info guys!

PeterJensen
09-03-07, 12:56 AM
WARHAWK!

pkirby11
09-03-07, 01:01 AM
WARHAWK!

Well if I can get the PS3 to fit on my desk, I plan to pick this one up. So I guess I will see you online if you have it! :D

crainger
09-03-07, 01:13 AM
Ima gonna have to get Warhawk too. Then go through the PSN ID thread to added everyone and send them all the required fap intro message.

PeterJensen
09-03-07, 03:56 AM
Warhawk is the best and most fun online game i have played this year. They just need ALLOT MORE SERVERS!

muaddib
09-03-07, 09:12 AM
Don't forget about the huge back catalog of the PS2... it houses some of the most must play games in recent history.

And those games are? I would like to expand my collection. Thanks.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 09:26 AM
And those games are? I would like to expand my collection. Thanks.

Culdcept, Disgea 1/2, Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, God of War 1/2, Shadow of Colossus, Odin Sphere, ICO, Rogue Galaxy, Radiata Stories, Silent Hill Series, Rachet and Clank Series, Jak Series, Metal Gear Series, Ace Combat Series, Okami, Onimusha Series, Echo Night, Persona 3, Digital Devil Saga 1/2, Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts, Grandia III, Drakan and the Shadow Hearts Series.

Yeah some didn't score high scores with reviewers but in my opinion they are great games that need to be played. Games like Drakan and Echo Night are an acquired taste though with Echo Night being a Horror Adventure game in space and Drakan being an action adventure.

I also got those from my collection, im sure there are some that I don't even own...

Marvel_us
09-03-07, 09:35 AM
Culdcept, Disgea 1/2, Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, God of War 1/2, Shadow of Colossus, Odin Sphere, ICO, Rogue Galaxy, Radiata Stories, Silent Hill Series, Rachet and Clank Series, Jak Series, Metal Gear Series, Ace Combat Series, Okami, Onimusha Series, Echo Night, Persona 3, Digital Devil Saga 1/2, Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts, Grandia III, Drakan and the Shadow Hearts Series.

Yeah some didn't score high scores with reviewers but in my opinion they are great games that need to be played. Games like Drakan and Echo Night are an acquired taste though with Echo Night being a Horror Adventure game in space and Drakan being an action adventure.

I also got those from my collection, im sure there are some that I don't even own...

Devil May Cry Series! DMC2 wasn't as good as 1 and 3 but I still had fun with the game. The story line was all wacked out in party 2 but the game is still fun.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 09:37 AM
Devil May Cry Series! DMC2 wasn't as good as 1 and 3 but I still had fun with the game. The story line was all wacked out in party 2 but the game is still fun.

While I own the series, I really never liked it much. Maybe I should go back and play them...

ralinn
09-03-07, 12:16 PM
While I own the series, I really never liked it much. Maybe I should go back and play them...
Yikes! DEFINITELY give DMC3 another go. Pretty much my fav PS2 game :)

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 12:24 PM
Yikes! DEFINITELY give DMC3 another go. Pretty much my fav PS2 game :)

Likewise. Top 5 of all time for me.

Amuro
09-04-07, 02:35 AM
Do not use component if you're going to hook it up to a LCD monitor like the 2707. Get a DVI switcher from www.gefen.com and set your PS3 RGB Range to Full.

Lyme
09-04-07, 03:12 PM
Kind of amazing, the only photo's that I can find that compare the 360 and PS3 for height have them wrong.

nVJoe
09-04-07, 03:17 PM
My PS3 is the best paper weight I have ever bought.

J/K I really like this console, more than I thought I would. It does need more games tho.

pkirby11
09-04-07, 10:43 PM
Do not use component if you're going to hook it up to a LCD monitor like the 2707. Get a DVI switcher from www.gefen.com and set your PS3 RGB Range to Full.

Just out of curiosty, because those switches look nice but cost a lot, why wouldn't you use Component? I'm just curious, it's not that I doubt you. I was thinking of going the same way but the other is cheaper. Are there issues with the component hook up on the 2707? Any help would be great, thanks!

DarkJedi664
09-04-07, 10:57 PM
I don't know about the 2707, but the 2407 component just looks like ASS! HDMI is just SO nice for the 360 XD