PDA

View Full Version : Metroid is amazing

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zelda_fan
09-03-07, 09:21 AM
Metroid Prime 3 is like, the greatest first person shooter I've ever played in my life.

Yes, the controls are incredibly crisp, blah blah blah, and the Wii-mote is the perfect FPS controller, but this is some of the most engaging game play I've ever seen in ANY game much less a FPS.

I really don't even know how to describe why I like it so much. It's one of those games where everything comes together perfectly and it's just *damn fun*. The music, the art design, the boss battles, the level design, EVERYTHING. You are really doing yourself a disservice if you do not play this game. To be honest this is worth buying a Wii for this title alone.

I can't understand why IGN gave it a 9.6. I think it should have been rated around a 9.9.

Badboy_12345
09-03-07, 11:06 AM
it just sucks that nintendo ****s europe once again and it isnt released here until 2007-10-26 :mad:

same with paper mario it STILL isnt released here

god dammit nintendo :thumbdwn:

how can it take more than 2 months to release a game in europe?

ralinn
09-03-07, 12:14 PM
Well localisation does kinda hold things back... It's not like they do it on purpose :)

Can't wait for this game btw, I've been looking forward to it A-FREAKING-LOT.

NarcissistZero
09-03-07, 12:17 PM
I'm fearful of the Wiimote controls, but hopefully this game will show me the light and finally prove them to be awesome. I didn't like them for Zelda, the only Wii game I own currently.

I also wish the graphics could be better, HD, etc., but if the game plays extremely well like everyone says I'll get over that quickly.

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 12:22 PM
It's got everything except the music. It's almost non present for me. I loved the Chozo Ruins theme from MP1, but that's really the only song I can remember.

Boss battles... ehh.. at the current point I'm at, they have turned from "awesome" into "side dash" around and hit monster from the back while evading stupid monster's shock wave jump attack. Been that way for the past 5 bosses. Hoping things pick up again.

Art is AWESOME.

Controls are perfect.

nightmare beta
09-03-07, 12:33 PM
It's got everything except the music. It's almost non present for me. I loved the Chozo Ruins theme from MP1, but that's really the only song I can remember.

Boss battles... ehh.. at the current point I'm at, they have turned from "awesome" into "side dash" around and hit monster from the back while evading stupid monster's shock wave jump attack. Been that way for the past 5 bosses. Hoping things pick up again.

Art is AWESOME.

Controls are perfect.

The music fell in MP2 and so I'm not surprised they didn't keep the music up to Metroid standards. Another reason to not be surprised is that game music has fallen in general. On the other hand, many others may not feel that way, b/c I'm listening to MM7's remixed super-synth music from vgmusic.com in WMP as I type this. Games just don't have music like that anymore.

Just about every track in MP1 and Super Metroid is excellent and out of the ordinary.

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 12:45 PM
I've got VG Music bookmarked. :) It's one of my favs. Megaman games have (had) some of the best game music of all time. To be perfectly honest I prefer old school 8-bit and 16-bit sound over MIDI and actual score compositions. I don't know. I'm crazy.

For the music in MP3, it should be said that it does fit the surroundings. I think that's all they were really going for... I don't really notice or pay attention to it because I'm so floored by the atmosphere.

Mangler
09-03-07, 12:51 PM
Well localisation does kinda hold things back... It's not like they do it on purpose :)

Can't wait for this game btw, I've been looking forward to it A-FREAKING-LOT.

I'm just glad that nintendo more or less is the only company not capable of releasing their blockbuster titles during the same month/week worldwide.

It would not be fun if we had to wait 2-6 months(the nintendo golden standard for localisation) for all titles.

MaUiLoCaL
09-03-07, 02:00 PM
This has easily become one of my favorite games of all time.:D Retro Studios FTW!

Namrok
09-03-07, 03:17 PM
At first I was disappointed. On the one hand, this game has a much stronger narrative than other Metroid titles. In fact the narrative style is very close to Fusion. And in the beginning with all the people around, and having it take place on a battleship, I just donno. It felt like that whole sequence belonged in a different game. The thing I loved about Metroid was that it was you alone exploring alien ruins, having other people in the picture sort of ruined that atmosphere. But thankfully you struck out on your own again before long. Then its back to classic Metroid gameplay that we all know and love. I love what they've done with utilizing the ship. It really helps go a step beyond just upgrading your suit constantly. But I am disappointed they still felt compelled to have a fetch quest with those stupid power cells. Oh well, what can ya do?

I just got the grapple upgrade for my ship, and there are so many places I'm itching to use it :D

Badboy_12345
09-03-07, 03:29 PM

why does no other game from any other company take this long then? always just nintendo games :thumbdwn:

nightmare beta
09-03-07, 03:34 PM
At first I was disappointed. On the one hand, this game has a much stronger narrative than other Metroid titles. In fact the narrative style is very close to Fusion. And in the beginning with all the people around, and having it take place on a battleship, I just donno. It felt like that whole sequence belonged in a different game. The thing I loved about Metroid was that it was you alone exploring alien ruins, having other people in the picture sort of ruined that atmosphere. But thankfully you struck out on your own again before long. Then its back to classic Metroid gameplay that we all know and love. I love what they've done with utilizing the ship. It really helps go a step beyond just upgrading your suit constantly. But I am disappointed they still felt compelled to have a fetch quest with those stupid power cells. Oh well, what can ya do?

I just got the grapple upgrade for my ship, and there are so many places I'm itching to use it :D

Are they 3's equivalent to 2's ing cache (or whatever they were called, I don't really remember) and 1's chozo artifacts?

I definitely prefered Super Metroid's way where you just have to defeat the bosses.

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 03:37 PM
Hmm. I'm betting Super Metroid is going for a grip on ebay. BRB

ehh nvm. only 20 bucks

Zelda_fan
09-03-07, 03:57 PM
I'm fearful of the Wiimote controls, but hopefully this game will show me the light and finally prove them to be awesome. I didn't like them for Zelda, the only Wii game I own currently.

I also wish the graphics could be better, HD, etc., but if the game plays extremely well like everyone says I'll get over that quickly.

The Wii-mote is better suited for Metroid than it was for Zelda TP. And you know that if *I* say that you can take it to the bank.

Zelda_fan
09-03-07, 03:58 PM

I would say that other than that first sequence, 90% of the game is exploring alien ruins.

KrAzYeTy
09-03-07, 04:02 PM
Just bought the game yesterday and I have to say I never in my life expected the Wii to have graphics and gameplay(FPS) like this.
This is the first 3D Metroid I have tried, and man am I glad I did.

This and Bioshock for PC are taking up all my spare time.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 04:41 PM
Is this better then MP1? I hated MP1...

I might pick it up if so, I need something to play on the Wii...

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 04:44 PM
Is this better then MP1? I hated MP1...

I might pick it up if so, I need something to play on the Wii...

You hated Metroid Prime? http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/Smileys/DRGsmiles/icon_twitch-phpbb.gif

That game was 100% unbridaled brilliance. If you didn't like it, there's nothing for you in #3.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 04:47 PM
You hated Metroid Prime? http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/Smileys/DRGsmiles/icon_twitch-phpbb.gif

That game was 100% unbridaled brilliance. If you didn't like it, there's nothing for you in #3.

Is it that similar? I mainly hated prime for its control... it was horrid. But then again that could have been due to the Gamecubes controller.

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 04:51 PM
Is it that similar? I mainly hated prime for its control... it was horrid. But then again that could have been due to the Gamecubes controller.

If that's the case, this game entirely revolutionizes the series's controls. Aiming is the most notable revamp. It's all done with the Wiimote.

Metroid Prime's controls were awesome. I really liked the GC paddle... really comfy. Coming from someone who hates FPS games, and loves the old school Metroid games, it seriously kicked ass. You owe it to yourself to play through it and its sequel before you begin this.

nightmare beta
09-03-07, 04:53 PM
I've got VG Music bookmarked. :) It's one of my favs. Megaman games have (had) some of the best game music of all time. To be perfectly honest I prefer old school 8-bit and 16-bit sound over MIDI and actual score compositions. I don't know. I'm crazy.

For the music in MP3, it should be said that it does fit the surroundings. I think that's all they were really going for... I don't really notice or pay attention to it because I'm so floored by the atmosphere.

You're not crazy.

I know a lot of people who like the music of games from the 16 bit days better than the games of today.

I just wish all cards had the x-fi's hw synth a.

The MS reference sw synth in XP doesn't sound too great.

Actual score compositions can really pale in comparison to synth. One of the biggest examples I can think of is Duke Nukem 64 vs. the Sega Saturn version of Duke 3D. Duke Nukem's theme sounds like **** with real instruments on the Saturn.

I like the Saturn better than the N64 by a good margin though.

NarcissistZero
09-03-07, 05:10 PM

I liked Metroid Prime, but nowhere near as much as you I would say. It was a solid game.

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 05:14 PM
You're not crazy.

I know a lot of people who like the music of games from the 16 bit days better than the games of today.

It's really amazing what they could do with such "archaic" audio emulation.

#NOTE: you have to copy paste these links into your browser manually. Definitely worth it though.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/finalfant2.mid

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Ff6Boss.mid

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/ff3Airship.mid

I think Mega Man X (SNES) contains my all time favorite music selection. Just check out some of the songs. Seriously awesome.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/MMXMain.mid

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/ZeroTheme1.mid

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/MaverickSelect.mid

Brings back memories.. :wonder:

I liked Metroid Prime, but nowhere near as much as you I would say. It was a solid game.

Heh. The series is one of my top 3 I'd say.

Namrok
09-04-07, 08:34 AM
Well, I'm coming up on the end of Sky Town, about to go after the seed/leviathan/whatever. I'm loving this game, but still, its just not as good as Metroid Prime 2 was. On the one hand its been interesting getting the screw attack so early in the game when its usually about the last upgrade you get. On the other hand, there seems to be remarkably fewer upgrades in this one, and the ones that are left seem like they have little room in the game for them. I donno, maybe its just me, but it felt like in Prime 1 & 2 there were hidden items in nearly every room, often more than one, and you slowly discovered new things that could get to them. Super missiles, super bombs, the spider rail, all ended up being used just about everywhere, constantly, to get at secret items that you'd seen even in the very first area. I've seen very little of that in this one. Most room are just that. Rooms. An intermediate between A and B, with very little to make it stand out. Skytown seems to suffer from this the worst with all those identical elevator rooms off the centers of the hubs. Oh well, maybe the game will pick up more. But even if it does, Metroid Prime 2 was such a strong experience all the way through, I doubt it can top it.

Still an amazing game, don't get me wrong, but compared to what came before, I'm a tad let down.

CaptNKILL
09-04-07, 09:36 AM
Sorta OT, but I've been playing Metroid Prime: Hunters on my DS and its awesome. I still can't believe they can get that kind of game to work so well on a handheld.

Only problem so far is that my hands are too big and I get cramps after only a few minutes of running and gunning. The stylus controls are absolute genius though.