PDA

View Full Version : Did the Wii live up to your expectations?

Tygerwoody
09-03-07, 08:47 PM
Poll

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 09:05 PM
I had no expectations for the Wii. It's a system; you play GAMES on the system. Of course the library is lacking right now, as is the PS3's and to a lesser extent the 360's. (subjective I know, but still... you have to draw the line somewhere. The 360 does nothing for me. PC > 360)

I don't know what games you have, but obviously you don't have Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. All I wanted when I bought my Wii (last Tuesday, to be exact) was Metroid, and that game exceeded my already skyhigh expectations. System seller to me. I look forward to Mario and some other Nintendo titles, but that's all I'm expecting. I don't expect Final Fantasy, Castlevania, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Dragon Quest, or any other J-RPGs (and countless other games I just can't think of off the top of my head) to stream onto the Wii all of a sudden. No fighters either.

There is a bright side to having a Wii, though. You can sell it for the same price you bought it for. :) Demand is high and supply is low, so value doesn't depreciate.

NarcissistZero
09-03-07, 09:07 PM
I don't really know how to answer that... I bought it for the 5 or 6 core Nintendo games that will be must-haves, and those are out and will be coming, so it meets my expectations on that.

I never really expected it to be a revolution in control, nor certainly in graphics or sound. It could end up being amazing in the control department, I haven't got Metroid yet, but I don't expect it to be, so there's nothing it needs to live up to.

Had I gone into it with the hype and excitement most people seem to have though I know for a fact I would feel pretty let down. Whether the controls are amazing or not 99% of the software is crap. I expected going in it would be another Gamecube, so unless it has less than 5 awesome games it's beating my expectations.

Namrok
09-03-07, 09:47 PM
Well, I played the **** out of it when I first got it. Then the game drought hit. Then I just flat out ended up playing my 360 more. But now that Metroid Prime 3 is out I've been playing the hell out of it again. I might finally get around to play Resident Evil 4 too, since I never did.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 09:52 PM
When it originally released I played it till I completed Zelda, then played abit of Raving Rabbids but since then I haven't really touched it.

I own four games for the system, Zelda, RE4, Paper Mario and Rayman...

Q
09-03-07, 09:53 PM
It met my expectations, but they were rather low. Wii Sports is really what is selling the console at this point, and I would guess that there are quite a few systems out there where the people only play WS.

I'm enjoying Z:TW quite a bit right now.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 10:00 PM
Yeah Zelda:TW is a great game... favorite game on the console so far.

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 10:02 PM
Am I the only one that didn't buy a Wii for Zelda? For Christ's sake that is a Gamecube game and it should be played only on Gamecube. Wiimote waggle FTL.

NoA are such bastards... making me wait an extra month for the game to come out on GC.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 10:03 PM
Am I the only one that didn't buy a Wii for Zelda? For Christ's sake that is a Gamecube game and it should be played only on Gamecube. Wiimote waggle FTL.

I own it on both systems, the Wii version is the better version when it comes down to playing it in HD since it supports widescreen and the gamecube version doesn't.

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 10:04 PM
I own it on both systems, the Wii version is the better version when it comes down to playing it in HD since it supports widescreen and the gamecube version doesn't.

I'd rather play it in SD than use the Wiimote.

DarkJedi664
09-03-07, 10:17 PM
The Pii only supports 480p, not 720 or 1080...

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 10:40 PM
The Pii only supports 480p, not 720 or 1080...

Yeah I know... its not HD but its more HD then 480i... Did you come here just to post that?

buffbiff21
09-03-07, 11:13 PM
I think he came in here just to show off his 14 line signature.

|MaguS|
09-03-07, 11:15 PM
I think he came in here just to show off his 14 line signature.

He's almost as cool as I am with my 6 Hard Drives... I should list them aswell.

NarcissistZero
09-03-07, 11:18 PM
Yeah I know... its not HD but its more HD then 480i... Did you come here just to post that?

More importantly only the Wii version is 16:9. Actually, I think both versions are 480p, it's just the Wii has widescreen support.

Zelda is actually the only game I own for the Wii, unless you count Wii Sports. I've rented some other things and they were kind of fun, but nothing I would ever play again. Most Wii games seem like Live Arcade titles to me, only they're $50 instead of $5 or $10. Maybe that's just because for the most part I love long and epic games.

I actually bought Super Paper Mario and the endless story segments and fetch quests made me quickly despise it and I sold it on ebay.

Anyway... not trying to be a negative nancy. I look forward to Metroid Prime 3 and eventually Mario Galaxy. Those are the games I bought the system for.

Ninjaman09
09-04-07, 07:53 AM
First off, really good poll options - I think they all applied to me at some point, but right now I'm at #2. This is because Metroid Prime 3 exceeded my expectations and has become one of my favorite games. it really showcases the system's potential. The Virtual Console is starting to be worth a damn now, which is nice too. Overall the system looks to be like the Gamecube as far as titles go (which is a good thing in my eyes), only with competent marketing.

Lyme
09-04-07, 11:14 AM
He's almost as cool as I am with my 6 Hard Drives... I should list them aswell.

I have four machines, one laptop, one dual monitor desktop, and two headless desktops.. I should make a sig listing all the crap in them! (no, I'm not going there).

The wii was pretty cool when it came out, bought Zelda, elibits, mario party 8, some thing else for the wii.. and VC:supermario 64.
Unfortunatly the Wii doesn't get much use, I'm either playing WoW or something on the 360. My wife plays hexic and bejeweled on the 360. My son plays lego starwars, or if he wants to use the Wii he plays Robots but that was for the GC.

The Wii is a nice console (and I have the composite hookup), but there isn't a lot more than mini-game remixes and a few niche products. While I liked Twightlight princess, I preferred windwaker.

zoomy942
09-04-07, 06:12 PM
passed my expectations. i got it on launch day and my wife and i still play it alot. mario party, paper mario and wii sports.

and now that Wii Fit is on the way, my wife is about to explode with excitement.

Tygerwoody
09-04-07, 08:11 PM
Wii Fit is on the way, my wife is about to explode with excitement.
you can't be serious... its a freaking stepper. Stack two books on top of each other and you'll get more of a workout than that piece of junk. :wtf:

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly uneducated the United States is on health and fitness.

buffbiff21
09-04-07, 08:59 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how utterly uneducated the United States is on health and fitness.

:lol:

Truth.