PDA

View Full Version : Another new pc Help me thread

Oddjob187
09-04-07, 08:08 PM
So I'm new to the pc building world, and tweaking. Just trying to squeeze it in and see what I can accomplish with the parts and pieces I have, but oddly enough I can't accomplish much. At least compared to the standards I see in peoples sigs on the forum.

Basically right now I am using said hardware:

Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB
Asus P5KC
OCZ Dual Channel 5-5-5-15 2GB (Bought a second set and put them in tonight, turns out their faulty, score)
OCZ 650W PSU
22" Widescreen Samsung 1680x1050 Resolution
Windows Vista 32bit

I've updated my bios, chipset, running 163.44 Forceware beta drivers for the card and after taking my faulty ram out of the case I've actually dropped 100 points according to 3dmark06 to 7700. I've even used Rivatuner to jack my core clock to 700 and memory clock to 900 just to see if I could squeeze anything out. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Well at least the GPU didn't explode.

Wether or not a game runs smooth is purely dependent on my use of voodoo magic and sacrifices it seems. Supreme Commander gives me 30fps solid while nuking my opponent into the stone age on my native res with high settings, half life 2 has never looked so good with AA/AF maxed, FEAR runs like a champ maxed to the balls settings. On the other hand World In Conflict chugs running at 1280x1024 res, no aa/af on medium settings and Bioshock needs a low res and medium settings to run smooth also.

I understand 320mb of card power might not be enough to process some of the more painful textures of newer games but at the very least should 3dMark06 not be taunting me so?

Any suggestions, or advice for little ol' me, other then sell the 320 on ebay and buy a GTX. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Oddjob

buffbiff21
09-04-07, 08:50 PM
For comparison, my dualcore E6600 setup with 8800GTS gets over 9k stock.

Did you adjust the resolution in 3dmk06? Most people run it with the lowest setting, and use that score.

Something is definitely wrong if you didn't. Run Memtest on the RAM to isolate that, if that's the problem.

avirox
09-04-07, 09:27 PM
Number one cause for this type of problem is usually driver-related. Check everything - chipset, sound, gfx, etc. Also make sure you have the latest stable (meaning not beta - had bad experiences with those in the past..) bios drivers too.

Failing that, Driver Cleaner Pro is your next best friend. Uninstall your current gfx drivers completely, boot into safe mode and then clean em with DCP.

And finally, failing that, blame windows vista ^^ (j/k :afro:)

At medium texture resolution the 8800GTS should run any game perfectly and you shouldn't need to be lowering it for bioshock either (max I've seen bioshock use with everything maxed was like 300mb texture memory). Wold in conflict.. well if you're looking at the benchmark, I think it runs crappy for just about everyone, but ingame runs fine here w/ all maxed. 3dm06 for me was about 8700 at stock with my e6600.

Oddjob187
09-04-07, 09:36 PM
For comparison, my dualcore E6600 setup with 8800GTS gets over 9k stock.

Did you adjust the resolution in 3dmk06? Most people run it with the lowest setting, and use that score.

Something is definitely wrong if you didn't. Run Memtest on the RAM to isolate that, if that's the problem.

I am using the freebie version of 3dMark06 so its set to 1280x1024. Memtest? Is that this Memtest86 program I see floating about?

Number one cause for this type of problem is usually driver-related. Check everything - chipset, sound, gfx, etc. Also make sure you have the latest stable (meaning not beta - had bad experiences with those in the past..) bios drivers too.

Failing that, Driver Cleaner Pro is your next best friend. Uninstall your current gfx drivers completely, boot into safe mode and then clean em with DCP.

And finally, failing that, blame windows vista ^^ (j/k :afro:)

At medium texture resolution the 8800GTS should run any game perfectly and you shouldn't need to be lowering it for bioshock either (max I've seen bioshock use with everything maxed was like 300mb texture memory). Wold in conflict.. well if you're looking at the benchmark, I think it runs crappy for just about everyone, but ingame runs fine here w/ all maxed. 3dm06 for me was about 8700 at stock with my e6600.

The bios driver I got was from the asus website. Chipset is off the intel site, sound is off the asus site, and gfx is off the nvidia website.

I'l try this Driver Cleaner Pro and see if it helps, but I will not hold my breath. This problem has been here since the beginning when I first installed the driver after I built the computer.

buffbiff21
09-04-07, 09:56 PM
I am using the freebie version of 3dMark06 so its set to 1280x1024. Memtest? Is that this Memtest86 program I see floating about?

Right. Memtest86+. I use the DOS version, but AFAIK there is also a Windows version.

I'l try this Driver Cleaner Pro and see if it helps, but I will not hold my breath. This problem has been here since the beginning when I first installed the driver after I built the computer.

Ahh I forgot about driver problems.. I assumed since you're using the most recent ones, that shouldn't be the problem. I'm on XP, btw... I've read all the stories, but I'm not sure how bad Vista's drivers are.

Oddjob187
09-04-07, 10:08 PM
I did the driver cleaner, no difference and still at 7700.

I'll have to try this memtest thing tommorow afternoon. I have no blank CD's and I just happened to not, uh put a disk drive into the pc. Figured since I can boot from the windows cd who needs it. Do'h.

avirox
09-04-07, 10:13 PM
i noticed you said that your sound drivers are off the asus site.. I assume this means you're using onboard sound? If so that may bog down your cpu performance a bit. Too bad DCP didn't help. Only other thing i can think of is make sure all partitions have enough space on em (should be atleast 10% or so free on each drive). Other than that listen to what others here have said and use memtests.

Oddjob187
09-04-07, 10:15 PM
i noticed you said that your sound drivers are off the asus site.. I assume this means you're using onboard sound? If so that may bog down your cpu performance a bit. Too bad DCP didn't help. Only other thing i can think of is make sure all partitions have enough space on em (should be atleast 10% or so free on each drive). Other than that listen to what others here have said and use memtests.

I don't have any partitions. Yet anyways. I heard some rumblings that vista doesn't like some partition programs so it has not been high on my list of things to get frustrated over. :rolleyes:

SlieTheSecond
09-04-07, 10:40 PM
You could also check to see that your pci-e slot is in fact running in 16x mode.

You can check via cpu-z

Oddjob187
09-05-07, 05:58 PM
You could also check to see that your pci-e slot is in fact running in 16x mode.

You can check via cpu-z

I've never used CPU-Z before but I think it is running at x16.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Oddjob187/Untitled-1.jpg

It seems I am running out of options again.

Oddjob187
09-06-07, 07:27 PM
So any suggestions left?

I was thinking maybe I had a bum video card, something physically wrong with it, but then why would a few games run like champs and others like trash.

qube
09-06-07, 08:29 PM
I've never used CPU-Z before but I think it is running at x16.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Oddjob187/Untitled-1.jpg

It seems I am running out of options again.

its in x4 mode

Oddjob187
09-06-07, 08:37 PM
its in x4 mode

Wha.. uh.. Can I switch it to x16 or...

I was going to try the other PCIE slot in the mobo but I got power cables going to the CPU in the way and there is no slack on the cables to move'em. Arg.

Oddjob187
09-07-07, 04:45 PM
Sorry for the double post.

I solved the problem with the help of all of you in trouble shooting the issue.

As qube pointed out the PCI-E slot was x4, which is idiotic to say the least (I did not put the Pc together, lesson #1). Simple solution was to plop the GPU into the x16 slot (The blue one on the P5KC boards) but that brought me to another problem. OCZ's power cables to the CPU were short. Damn short, allowing for dick all movement. To make matters worse there is a CPU1 and CPU2 cables and connectors, making the wires thick. To add to it, OCZ had the kindness to wrap the power wires in thick Nylon mesh, and add in a couple plastic zip ties to wrap it all together as tight as a sixteen year old mormon. I ended up using the nearest knife I had, a good ol 8" Tanto blade to slice the mesh all the way to the power unit, chop the three zip ties off after some fun with close calls, then run a single cpu power line(s) down around some copper looking delicate thing, around the side of the CPU fan and down onto the plug. The wires needed some tension on it just so I can get the plug down before i could let it slack. So now the wires are jammed under the end of the graphics card, wedged into that piece of plastic that lets you pop the card out of the slot. Not exactly pretty, but its a big lesson learned about trying to save money by buying a package box instead of building it myself piece by piece.

CPU-Z says I am running at x16 now, and 3DMark06 says I get 9308 points. Still low compared to some of the peoples scores here on the forum but I guess I need to tweak things now to squeeze more juice out of the card.

Thanks guys for you're help.