PDA

View Full Version : 2D/3D Clockspeeds

skank
09-04-07, 09:50 PM
I have the latest Bioshock drivers and I noticed that my clocks are staying at 3D speeds even at desktop, does anyone have a fix for this? It's pumping so much heat into my case at idle I want to stop it!

kam03
09-05-07, 08:40 AM
I have the latest Bioshock drivers and I noticed that my clocks are staying at 3D speeds even at desktop, does anyone have a fix for this? It's pumping so much heat into my case at idle I want to stop it!

What program are you using to overclock?

if your using riva tuner then only change performance 3d clocks when your overclocking. Leave 2d and low 3d clocks at default.

evilghost
09-05-07, 09:05 AM
Umm, if you're using Vista + Aero this would be the reason as Aero is the 3D accelerated desktop, thus, your card is in 3D mode, not 2D.

skank
09-05-07, 09:49 AM
I'm not overclocking yet, I want to get this sorted first, I am using vista and aero, I thought that it could be that, then I thought that the drivers should be smart enough to tell the difference between aero and a proper 3d app. If it really is aero then that is LAME.

Update: I turned off Aero and closed the sidebar, there was no change in clockspeed, I think this is a driver bug, can anyone confirm or refute 2D/3D clock changes under Vista Aero?

evilghost
09-05-07, 09:56 AM
I thought that the drivers should be smart enough to tell the difference between aero and a proper 3d app. If it really is aero then that is LAME.

Aero is a valid 3D accelerated application requiring 3D hardware acceleration to function properly. Did you set the Appearance theme to 'Windows Vista Basic'?

skank
09-05-07, 10:52 AM
I know it's a valid 3D application, however it does not require the power of an 8800GTX at 3D clock speeds, it should run like a windowed 3D app does in win xp, ie at 2D clock speed. Yes I tried Vista Basic, should I have tried another?

DJB
09-05-07, 07:42 PM
Seriously, a windowed 3D app runs at 2D clockspeed under XP on your rig?
That is seriously wrong. It doesnt do that on my rig. Any time I open any app that requires 3D capability of the card, it jumps the clockspeeds up.

Why would you even want that?

DJB

skank
09-06-07, 06:54 AM
Well I decided to see what happens when I overclock and discovered that there is 2D/3D switching going on but at stock speeds the card has the same clocks for both, ie 575Mhz, when I overclocked to 620Mhz the card goes back down to 575Mhz when I quit the 3D app. So I guess my new question is how can I set the 2D clock to a lower speed, say 400Mhz?

TheSmJ
09-06-07, 07:41 AM
Skank is right in how Areo in Windows Vista is treated as "2D Mode". I am able to confirm it myself using RivaTuner.

qube
09-06-07, 07:59 AM
Well I decided to see what happens when I overclock and discovered that there is 2D/3D switching going on but at stock speeds the card has the same clocks for both, ie 575Mhz, when I overclocked to MHz the card goes back down to MHz when I quit the 3D app. So I guess my new question is how can I set the 2D clock to a lower speed, say MHz?
yes you can
iam using 163.44 and my clock speed drops after i quit a 3d apps

SLippe
09-06-07, 08:07 AM
I believe the Memory Clocks have to be the same, however, you can change the Core Clocks to different speeds at 2D and 3D.

DJB
09-06-07, 05:02 PM
correct, the memory will need to stay the same, but the cores can be different.

You can do it with RivaTuner and similar apps, or do it in a flashed BIOS.

DJB

jeffmd
09-06-07, 05:13 PM
Just earlier I was playing with rivas 2d/3d setting in rivatuner cause I got no where when trying to find out why its no longer in the nvidia cp. I also noticed I can't alter the memory speed unless I alter it for both. It does seem to have worked, windows 2d mode settings are in effect, Ive lost like 5c. I just hope that its properly clocking up when a game is ran.

Some questions I still have are a) what is an adiquet core speed for 2d? I'm using 400mhz right now, how low can I go? and b) Ive got every conceivable power/temp savings enabled for my cpu in the bios, but it dosnt seem like its fully working, atleast I dont think speed step is slowing anything down yet. Is there anything key in vista I need to adjust?

DJB
09-06-07, 06:10 PM
Use the hardware monitoring in Rivatuner, start a game, play and exit. Look at the graph. It should show the clockspeed rising, and then falling back.

DJB