PDA

View Full Version : Buy 8600 GTS for $137 AR now and save $170 on 9800 in November?

TheSmJ
09-04-07, 11:03 PM
Right now @ Newegg you can buy an EVGA 8600 GTS card for $136 after a $15 MIR and a $25 credit code. The cost of the card before savings is ~$170. Assuming the EVGA 9800 comes out in November, I should be able to buy it with a savings of ~$170 through the step up program.

Correct?

Question is, how much is Newegg store going to sell the 9800 card for on its release day? With that in mind, how much did EVGA's store sell it for?

From what I recall, the 8800 GTX sold from the Egg for its MSRP of around $600 (please correct me if I'm wrong) and raised the price as stocks of the card flew off the shelves. The official EVGA store sold the card (and still does) for $600, never wavering from it's MSRP before or after the buying rush.

If what I remember is correct, it is reasonable to believe I could buy the 8600 GTS now for $170 - $40 in savings, wait for the 9800's release and buy it through the step up program for $600 - $170 = $430, while Newegg and similar stores are still selling it for $600-$700. Right?

I guess to make an accurate estimate of the net savings I would need to know the original price of the 8800 GTX on its release day on both Newegg and EVGA's store. Could someone here please help me confirm these prices?

Zapablast05
09-05-07, 12:59 AM
Not exactly. If the cards price value drops from after the day you bought it, that's how much the card is going to be worth. My 8600GT was 139.99 but now it's 136.99 and that's how much the value said when I RMA'd it.

I'm not sure how it will work with the Step-Up program, but it does seem like a good idea. I might sell my current card and invest in the 8600GTS so I can get a 9800GTX.

TheSmJ
09-05-07, 01:47 AM
I recall reading many months ago that the amount refunded by EVGA in the step up program is the actual cost the card to you was at the time you purchased it, regardless of the depreciated value it undoubtedly takes over time on the market.

EDIT: This seems to be true, as quoted from EVGA's Offical Step-Up FAQ:

Q: How much is Step-Up?
A: The Step-Up™ Program is free; you are required to pay the difference between your original invoice price, less any applicable rebates, and the price of the new card, plus any applicable tax and shipping. The program itself has no cost associated with it.

If someone with first hand experience with using the program could correct me or elaborate on this, that would be great. I'd also like to know what you traded from and up to, how much you paid for both cards both at the original retailer of the first card and the final cost of the second, and the overall savings made from the transaction.

I guess the reason I'm so sceptacle is that it seems a little too easy to beat the system. It seems EVGA is betting that those who buy the best of the best video card "right now" will not see anything better for more than 3 months after the purchase date, but all it takes is a well substantiated rumor (or inside information) to force them to spend more money on a product by refurbishing and reselling old cards in return for what could be a large discount on a new product which could otherwise be sold for far more.

In short: I'm looking for the catch. :)

nekrosoft13
09-05-07, 08:14 AM
there is no catch with step-up program, you have to buy the card, registered with evga, and do step-up.

I got my 8800gtx for about 60-70 bucks last year.

Just remember 9800 has not been even announced yet, there is no set release date, it could be delayed you never know.

CaptNKILL
09-05-07, 09:57 AM
I'm pretty sure I got full price (what I spent originally) for my 7900GTX when I traded it in for a 7950GX2. It cost me around $100.

What a sucky card that was. :p

I'd be very surprised if we ever saw another GX2...

J-Mag
09-05-07, 01:21 PM
In short: I'm looking for the catch. :)

Q: How much is Step-Up?
A: The Step-Up™ Program is free; you are required to pay the difference between your original invoice price, less any applicable rebates, and the price of the new card, plus any applicable tax and shipping. The program itself has no cost associated with it.

You wouldn't get $170 off the new card because of the rebate involved. If the "credit code" is specific for that part number and not like a gift cert, then you'd have to take that off to.

FastRedPonyCar
09-05-07, 02:47 PM
I'm considering an 8800GTX when crysis comes out (betting that there will be a bundled crysis package of game + card) and then stepping up to the 9800 after 3 months.

six_storm
09-05-07, 03:52 PM
I'm considering an 8800GTX when crysis comes out (betting that there will be a bundled crysis package of game + card) and then stepping up to the 9800 after 3 months.

That's what I'm waiting on too. I'd like to step up to the 8800GTS 320MB around Christmas time so I'll be able to play Crysis and UT3.

FastRedPonyCar
09-05-07, 04:02 PM
That's what I'm waiting on too. I'd like to step up to the 8800GTS 320MB around Christmas time so I'll be able to play Crysis and UT3.

True. I think as mentioned earlier, it's all pending that Nvidia/evga actually has the 9800's on the market within that 90 day period. It almost makes me want to wait until the 9800's have a definite release date before buying an 8800 but at that point, I'll probably have enough money for a 9800 saved up and possibly have waited months after Crysis has been released before buying anything. :thumbdwn:

Shamrock
09-05-07, 10:57 PM
I thought that if you used the step-up program, you had to buy it from EVGA directly?

hapooh
09-05-07, 11:46 PM
I thought that if you used the step-up program, you had to buy it from EVGA directly?

You stumbled on the catch... which is yes you need to buy it from EVGA, and the real catch is that EVGA charges the full retail price, so even if new egg is selling the 8800GTX for instance for 499.99 you'd still haft to pay the full retail price of lets say 599.99 from EVGA.

I'm not saying this is a bad program in all cases, just consider the full price you actually pay....

TheSmJ
09-06-07, 05:51 AM
Its looking more and more like I'll just wait for an offical announcment on the G92's release date. Dunno how I'll feel about that by the time the Crysis demo is released though...

nekrosoft13
09-06-07, 07:25 AM

no, your initial card you can buy from anywhere, as long as you have proof of purchase aka receipt.

then you do step-up at evga.

TheSmJ
09-06-07, 07:06 PM
Looks like the Paypal cuepon code stopped working - that really bites. :(

XDanger
09-06-07, 07:23 PM
To upgrade I'll hopefully be selling my 640mb GTS on ebay for just under 200, That I bought on ebay for just under 200, Thats if I keep an eye on the average ebay selling price before theres a big price drop.