PDA

View Full Version : 'Linux' or 'Unix' is Inappropriate Language as LIVE Motto According to Microsoft

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
09-05-07, 05:46 PM
From riverag.com:

I love Linux and the XBOX 360, so yesterday I tried to include the word "LINUX" in the motto section on XBOX Live. I was stunned when I got a message saying "Your motto contains inappropriate language. Please try again".

I tried this myself to make sure it wasn't any kinda hoax ... I tried to put just the word 'linux' as motto to my gamertag and indeed ... Microsoft refused it. I also tried 'unix' ... but that didn't pass the Redmond filter either. Seriously, how low can you go MS?

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=620221

nekrosoft13
09-05-07, 05:48 PM
waits for Ghost to walk in

Q
09-05-07, 05:53 PM
Maybe *unix is the new slang for sexxors or something. ;)

evilghost
09-05-07, 06:00 PM
I saw this earlier, I'd be curious to see if you can get away with 'Ubuntu' try that as well.

OldOfEvil
09-05-07, 07:01 PM
Nintendo did that sort of thing with some of its games. You couldn't use names like "Sonic" or "Sega" ..Nothing new here.

nVJoe
09-05-07, 07:16 PM
From riverag.com:

I tried this myself to make sure it wasn't any kinda hoax ... I tried to put just the word 'linux' as motto to my gamertag and indeed ... Microsoft refused it. I also tried 'unix' ... but that didn't pass the Redmond filter either. Seriously, how low can you go MS?

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=620221
How low can you go? Why does anyone care?

evilghost
09-05-07, 07:22 PM
How low can you go? Why does anyone care?

Linux folks would let you type Microsoft but it's likely be s/Microsoft/Micro\$oft/i

Now, perplexify yourself upon that regexp.

Lyme
09-05-07, 07:31 PM
Did you even consider the fact that both words are trademarked and should not be used without written consent of the copyright holder. Or did you simply jump to the conculsion that Microsoft is doing more evil?

grey_1
09-05-07, 07:37 PM
Evil? No.

Petty? Yes. After all balmer has a lucrative position there.

No big deal anyway.

nVJoe
09-05-07, 08:39 PM
Linux folks would let you type Microsoft but it's likely be s/Microsoft/Micro\$oft/i

Now, perplexify yourself upon that regexp.
I'm sure if I was into computers as you are, that would be phunny.

Oh oh let me tell jokes also.

There are just 10 kinds of people that understand binary code.

Those that do and those that don't.

:captnkill:

|MaguS|
09-05-07, 08:42 PM
I'm sure if I was into computers as you are, that would be phunny.

Oh oh let me tell jokes also.

There are just 10 kinds of people that understand binary code.

Those that do and those that don't.

:captnkill:

What about the other 8?

JK

Such an old joke. ; )

grey_1
09-05-07, 08:43 PM
What about the other 8?

JK

Such an old joke. ; )
They're playing Bioshock. :p

nVJoe
09-05-07, 08:50 PM
What about the other 8?

JK

Such an old joke. ; )
yeah but I just wanted to show I know geek too. :D

evilghost
09-05-07, 09:15 PM
Did you even consider the fact that both words are trademarked and should not be used without written consent of the copyright holder. Or did you simply jump to the conculsion that Microsoft is doing more evil?

Probably a fair observation, so try Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Nintendo, Sony, PlayStation, Honda, Toyota, Ford, and any other trademarks. Lets see if they're blocked because without question they have a significantly stronger economic fortitude than Linux, as a trademark.

evilghost
09-05-07, 09:25 PM
A little off topic, but about the only thing I've ever liked doing with Linux is my programming homework.

I swear Visual Studio is a steaming pile of ****, and when you make big changes to your code you have to ****ing restart the program or some inexplicable remnants of your obsolete code exist when you recompile it...for no reason.

That **** doesn't happen in Linux. When you make changes to your code and recompile it, it recompiles your new code, not your old ****.

I'm a VS6 guy so I've not screwed with .NUT...never had that problem.

six_storm
09-05-07, 09:37 PM
Ballmer is one funny motherf***er.

evilghost
09-05-07, 09:40 PM
Ballmer is one funny motherf***er.

No doubt, he consistently drinks the essence from the soul-stream.

Lyme
09-05-07, 10:23 PM
A little off topic, but about the only thing I've ever liked doing with Linux is my programming homework.

I swear Visual Studio is a steaming pile of ****, and when you make big changes to your code you have to ****ing restart the program or some inexplicable remnants of your obsolete code exist when you recompile it...for no reason.

That **** doesn't happen in Linux. When you make changes to your code and recompile it, it recompiles your new code, not your old ****.

I have no idea how you use Visual Studio but that never happens to me. Your comparison is also a bit unfair as linux does not have a suite of tools that are integrated together as Visual Studio is.

Fuku2
09-05-07, 10:23 PM
eunuchs

(nana2)

|MaguS|
09-05-07, 10:26 PM
No doubt, he consistently drinks the essence from the soul-stream.

Lifestream?

evilghost
09-05-07, 10:28 PM
Lifestream?

Call me Firebrand:

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/manuals/gargoyl2.txt

Lyme
09-05-07, 10:31 PM
Probably a fair observation, so try Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Nintendo, Sony, PlayStation, Honda, Toyota, Ford, and any other trademarks. Lets see if they're blocked because without question they have a significantly stronger economic fortitude than Linux, as a trademark.

I personally have better things to waste my time doing than caring if brand names are locked out or not. Besides I already have my xbl gamer tag.. it is almost the one I wanted.

evilghost
09-05-07, 10:41 PM
I personally have better things to waste my time doing than caring if brand names are locked out or not. Besides I already have my xbl gamer tag.. it is almost the one I wanted.

No problem, but next time dont' assert yourself in a thread claiming trademark concerns when it's blatant censorship of a competitior. :)

Lyme
09-05-07, 11:48 PM
No problem, but next time dont' assert yourself in a thread claiming trademark concerns when it's blatant censorship of a competitior. :)

Blatant censorship.. I think not.

You have also obviously not read the terms of service, in particularly:

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/live/legal/
"8. USE OF COMMUNICATION FACILITIES
Your use of the Service is subject to the Code of Conduct. You also agree not to do any of the following while being connected to the Service:

Use the Service or any material or information which is made available through the Service in any manner that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party."

evilghost
09-05-07, 11:57 PM
Blatant censorship.. I think not.

You have also obviously not read the terms of service, in particularly:

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/live/legal/
"8. USE OF COMMUNICATION FACILITIES
Your use of the Service is subject to the Code of Conduct. You also agree not to do any of the following while being connected to the Service:

Use the Service or any material or information which is made available through the Service in any manner that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party."

Again, see post #14, http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1366343&postcount=14

Until you can refute that I'll claim blatant censorship.