PDA

View Full Version : The Halo Series is Overrated!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MaUiLoCaL
09-05-07, 05:01 PM
:captnkill:

That's all I have to say about that.;)

buffbiff21
09-05-07, 05:02 PM
Never liked Halo.

Didn't like using the right analog stick. Didn't like the Xbox controller, big, clunky, uncomfortable POS. IIRC, the framerate sucked too.

MaUiLoCaL
09-05-07, 05:07 PM
I will be glad when the hype of Halo 3 is over. There is just way too much right now. Everywhere you go. Masterchief this...that...:barf:.

nVJoe
09-05-07, 05:09 PM
I liked the first one a lot. The second one just seemed more of the same. It was kinda boring. That being said, how does Halo being so popular affect anyone who doesn't like this game?

Seeing that the game is so popular, it can hardly be "overrated".

Namrok
09-05-07, 05:12 PM
The first one was great until they introduced the Flood. They have this great AI that they've hyped and that everyone talks about, and all this strategy with taking out a guys shields and then finishing him off...

And then they toss all that good gameplay out the window in favor of a zerg rush. Everything that happened after the flood were introduced I hated.

Halo 2 was great through and through though. Though they all suffered from highly repetitive level design.

MaUiLoCaL
09-05-07, 05:28 PM
Exactly. The Flood plus going around and around and around in that stupid library. Talk about repetitive.

superklye
09-05-07, 05:29 PM
I love the Halo series mainly because it's the closest I'll ever get to a continuation of the Marathon franchise, but I hated the part in Halo 2 were you play as The Covenant. It was incredibly tedious and boring and I just gave up there.

CDE_1246
09-05-07, 05:33 PM
My words exactly.
Halo is one of the most overrated games ever. It is a decent game, but not as good as people make it out to be.

DarkJedi664
09-05-07, 05:36 PM

You being you, I'm sure you have it pre-ordered right??? :)

Lyme
09-05-07, 05:44 PM
Halo is one of the most overrated games ever. It is a decent game, but not as good as people make it out to be.

We had this discussion a few weeks back.
The Halo series typically:
-does not have the best of the best graphics.
-does it have the newest and greatest features.
-Is not ground breaking in any feature or regard.

However that being said, it does have:
-A solid storyline.
-Solid and balanced game play.
-Artists and designers that can design realistic looking enviroments.
-Great voice acting.

This is comparision to say 'unreal' which started out with a great story line but completely let it fall to the wayside by mid game. Had great graphics. Very little voice acting.

So Halo isn't over rated, true it doesn't do anything extremely well, but it does everything really quite nicely. This gives a pretty good experince throughout the entire game.

However I'd love to hear your well founded comparitive analysis to exactly why it is over-rated.

KasuCode
09-05-07, 05:57 PM

-A solid storyline.
-Great voice acting.

This is comparision to say 'unreal' which started out with a great story line but completely let it fall to the wayside by mid game. Had great graphics. Very little voice acting.

So Halo isn't over rated, true it doesn't do anything extremely well, but it does everything really quite nicely. This gives a pretty good experince throughout the entire game.

However I'd love to hear your well founded comparitive analysis to exactly why it is over-rated.

This is the reason so many people are getting it.

People can come to expect a good game from the halo series. So many people will preorder just because they know they are getting there monies worth.

MaUiLoCaL
09-05-07, 06:00 PM
You being you, I'm sure you have it pre-ordered right??? :)

Nope. But I have skate. preordered.:D (nana2)

OldOfEvil
09-05-07, 06:04 PM
I love the Halo series mainly because it's the closest I'll ever get to a continuation of the Marathon franchise, but I hated the part in Halo 2 were you play as The Covenant. It was incredibly tedious and boring and I just gave up there.

Wow, you know about Marathon!?

Lets have babies!! (nana2) (nana2)

buffbiff21
09-05-07, 06:06 PM

Instead of saying "over rated," I just plain out don't like it.

Militant setting, bad controls/controller, bad framerate. Couldn't get into it.

Plus I made fun of all the nerdy ass kids who played it back in the day.. so for me to go and play it would be incongruous.

nVJoe
09-05-07, 06:12 PM

-A solid storyline.
-Great voice acting.

A game does not have to have the best technical specs to be a great game. Look at World of Warcraft. It is nothing special to look at but it is a great game. It got so many things right with regards to game play that it is a great seller. Good points Lyme.

Those who say that this game is over rated are kidding them selves. There is a reason why this game sells so well. Just because you don't like it does not mean it is over rated. Just say, you don't like it as much as others do. I think the series is fun but that's about it. I hated the MP part of it.

Severian126
09-05-07, 06:38 PM
The only thing I can say why I think the Halo games are great is:

I pay 50-60 dollars for the game, I play it, I really like it, and I beat it and loved it. The fact that I get my money's worth is more than enough for me to say it was worth it. :) Opinions will differ of course.

knghtwhosaysni
09-05-07, 06:48 PM
I swear, every time Halo gets brought up you guys always focus on single player. Honestly, it sucks. Well maybe not sucks, but there really isn't anything too special about it (especially in Halo 2)

But the reason why Halo is so popular is the fantastic multiplayer. Matchmaking made everything so easy to get into a game and keep the teams balanced, and the game requires plenty of teamwork. Halo also made LAN parties not just a computer thing; I remember having tons of good times at Halo LAN parties. And the dynamics of sticky grenades, varied vehicles, and all the shortcuts that can be had with well-timed jumps really put it a step above other by-the-numbers FPS games. IMO, at least.

But seriously, play the MP, the SP isn't all that great.

ENU291
09-05-07, 06:56 PM
All I have to say is that after 2 plus years I'm STILL playing Halo 2 online. That's what I call getting your moneys worth. Halo might not be the the best looking, sounding or playing console game but when you put the entire package together it's hard to argue against it's appeal and popularity. 1 million pre-orders is testament to this fact.

buffbiff21
09-05-07, 07:04 PM
In regards to someone who mentioned Halo's MP, I got to thinking what MP games I actually enjoy. N64 era came to mind.

Goldeneye > Halo, in every aspect.

Much easier to strafe using C buttons rather than an analog stick. Better plot, theme, setting, music, graphics for its time, level design. Proximity mines FTW.

Not a stab towards any Halo fans... it's just the game just never caught on to me.

nightmare beta
09-05-07, 07:08 PM
Halo is definitely overrated.

NaitoSan
09-05-07, 07:21 PM
I loved Halo, it's really fun and I remember been waiting since Halo was announced and in development. I remember it being worked on for PC, those early videos impressed me, made me can't wait for it. After many many changes and became XBOX exclusive which I was kinda disappointed. So after it launched, I got a copy and finished it within next few days and played again with my brother in COOP mode. Man that was so much fun. Graphically, it was very good at its time. It get dated pretty quick but multiplayer owns. Halo 2 was slightly disappointing but I still did enjoy it, the graphics didn't change much but does look better than first Halo. COOP and multiplayer still alot of fun in Halo 2. I'm looking forward to Halo 3 just to get know how story ends, as well better/improved COOP and multiplayer. Graphically it's a nice leap from Xbox and looks really nice (beta doesn't count because, according to developers, single campiage looks much better) so yeah, I'm excited for it. :D

nekrosoft13
09-05-07, 07:22 PM

it took you that long to realize that?

Logical
09-05-07, 07:37 PM
Halo series = Over rated And over marketed.

SLippe
09-05-07, 07:43 PM
G4TV is having a 5 and 1/2 hour show on the night before it's release! A 5 and 1/2 hour show!!!! WTF? Stupid. This may already have happened as I don't know when the release date is nor do I care. The hype is ridiculous for a game.

superklye
09-05-07, 07:50 PM
Wow, you know about Marathon!?

Lets have babies!! (nana2) (nana2)
Dude, I love Marathon. I just beat Marathon 2 on XBLA about 2 weeks ago. Reliving that experience from 10 years ago was so awesome...I absolutely love that game.

I didn't have a Mac though, so my only experience with Marathon and Marathon: Infinity was vis a vis my friend playing them on his Mac while I watched.

I'd probably ejaculate everywhere if M and M:I came out on XBLA.