PDA

View Full Version : Full-screen video upscaling control

redhonker
09-05-07, 10:51 PM
Is there any way to control the upscaling? My main display is 4:3 and the second display is 16:9 tv. When video source is 4:3, I would like to get pillar box. Is there way to control that?

thanks!

SLippe
09-05-07, 11:00 PM
Have you tried Fixed Aspect Ratio in the nVidia Control Panel?

redhonker
09-07-07, 09:41 PM
Have you tried Fixed Aspect Ratio in the nVidia Control Panel?

Do you mean "Use nVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" under "Change flat panel scaling"? Tried a few combination but it does not seem have any impact on the video output. I did not find such option under Video subtree

SLippe
09-08-07, 03:16 AM
Well, if you are watching a video, then there is probably a setting in whatever software you are using to keep original size or something similar.

sharangad
09-08-07, 04:50 AM
Is there any way to control the upscaling? My main display is 4:3 and the second display is 16:9 tv. When video source is 4:3, I would like to get pillar box. Is there way to control that?

thanks!

If you use Windows Media Player, click on Tools menu/Options/Devices Tab. From here select your display and change the aspect ratio value from 1.0 to 0.75. I'm not sure whether this would work for a TV out, especially if you're using the full screen video mirror. The only way around it is to set Windows Media Player to use VMR HQ mode ( Toole menu/Options/Performance tab advanced button/ and tick the Video Mixing Renderer High Quality mode tick box). This way you won't have to use the Video mirror options and should be able to get a cloned display for video on both displays.

redhonker
09-08-07, 01:06 PM
If you use Windows Media Player, click on Tools menu/Options/Devices Tab. From here select your display and change the aspect ratio value from 1.0 to 0.75. I'm not sure whether this would work for a TV out, especially if you're using the full screen video mirror. The only way around it is to set Windows Media Player to use VMR HQ mode ( Toole menu/Options/Performance tab advanced button/ and tick the Video Mixing Renderer High Quality mode tick box). This way you won't have to use the Video mirror options and should be able to get a cloned display for video on both displays.

I am using Media Player Classic.

So there is no control for aspect ratio for full screen mirror? Always stretching to fit is not a good idea.

redhonker
09-08-07, 01:06 PM
Well, if you are watching a video, then there is probably a setting in whatever software you are using to keep original size or something similar.

That does not affect the full screen mirror.

fcipollini
10-17-07, 11:03 AM
It seems that from version 9x.xx fullscreen video mirror doesn't keep the right aspect ratio any more.
I've seen 2 different behaviours:
- fit to screen (stretch)
- a sort of fixed 16:9 aspect ratio (also for 4:3 videos)

I noticed that the resolution switches to 720x576 (for PAL) or 640x480 (for non-standard video resolutions, such as wmv files), while until 8x.xx drivers the current desktop resolution was used.

I also noticed that while playing standard 720x576 (PAL) video (and the full screen video is streched to the whole desktop), if you open the "Full Screen Video" property page (with new control panel you have to enable nView, then select "Zoom" tab from nView property page and click "Full Screen Video Zoom..." button) and you click or move the slider under "Zoom control", the full screen video suddenly switches to 16:9 aspect ratio.
If you click "Cancel" it switches back to fit to screen.
If you click "OK" it will remain in 16:9 aspect ratio and you'll have uninstall and re-install or mess around with tweak utils to get it back to fit to screen.

I looked around the web to find a way to configure resolution and/or aspect ratio for full screen video but I didn't find anything.

Francesco