PDA

View Full Version : does adding hd's decrease startup time?

hokeyplyr48
09-06-07, 06:12 AM
If you add hd's for storage, does it slow down a computer at all? whether it be startup time, response in general, etc.?

always wondered

SLippe
09-06-07, 07:11 AM
Probably, but I seriously doubt you'd even notice.

nekrosoft13
09-06-07, 07:14 AM
if you keep your OS and programs on seperate drives it actually will speed up start up a bit.

wolfgar
09-06-07, 10:34 AM
I agree with the above comment. You probably would not see it.

I could only see this making a tiny difference in a RAID situation, and if you have multiple cores to drive it.

Both my cores are running 80-100% at boot time, and my HDD is being hit pretty hard.

You would be better severed by looking at the startup time applications (startup inspector is one useful app) and disabling things that are not needed regularly. (especially if they can be launched manually)

A second option is to disable OS services that are not needed. (there are many)

Any app that communicates with the internet at startup (email, browser, weatherbug, ...) is a major speed bump.

I don't know about you, but my boot times are slowing due to increased number of startup apps and more quantity and complexity of system drivers.

anti-virus
firewall
weatherbug
NV drivers
network drivers
wireless drivers
system info apps
The list just keeps growing..

XDanger
09-06-07, 07:26 PM
Use Hibernate :)

911medic
09-07-07, 12:26 AM
Depends on your motherboard/BIOS, too. With mine, using both SATA and PATA HDDs/DVD-ROMs, there is a delay added since the P965 doesn't natively handle PATA. There's a JMicron chip on the board for that, and having it enabled causes an extra startup screen after POST as it detects the PATA devices. It then sits there for 3 seconds saying "Press any key to continue," after which it continues booting.

SLippe
09-07-07, 01:48 AM
if you keep your OS and programs on seperate drives it actually will speed up start up a bit.
Yeah, I use my C: for OS/Programs and my D: for downloads, mp3s, videos, pictures, etc.

hokeyplyr48
09-07-07, 06:34 AM
alright, thanks so much.
they're all sata so it shouldn't be too bad, if any at all of a delay

SLippe
09-07-07, 06:37 AM
alright, thanks so much.
they're all sata so it shouldn't be too bad, if any at all of a delay
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Are they SATA2? Even better, if so. :thumbsup: