PDA

View Full Version : I don't see how you consolites do it

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 10:32 AM
How on earth do you play FPS games with this freaking controller? Xbox360 or PS3. They both are impossible to aim and frankly make the game not fun at all. I like actually aiming instead of the computer auto-aiming for me.

I just don't get it. The only games I see released worth a damn for PS3 and Xbox360 these days are FPS games, when you can't use a controller to play them. These are GREAT games, yet using this auto aim hand holding controller leaves me feeling empty.

I don't see how you consolites do it. How do you have fun playing FPS games with a controller? Why on Earth are companies releasing FPS games without Mouse Support? :thumbdwn:

(for the record. I like the Nintendo Wii controller for FPS games if done properly. PS3 and Xbox360 are just too insanely stupid to bother trying)

|MaguS|
09-06-07, 10:35 AM
We know how to use the controller better? And many FPS games don't have any lock on feature, they are just alot more forgiving when it comes to accuracy (hit boxes sometimes bigger) other times they are the same as PC Games.

Rainbow Six Vegas has no lockon or auto targeting and it requires perfect accuracy to get a kill... no help.

You just suck with the controls, that is all.

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 10:41 AM
You just suck with the controls, that is all.
Thats probably part of it. But the fact that I'm still about to kill with ease is what bugs me the most. I'm clearly missing targets while shooting, but yet they fall and die. It ruins the immersion for me. If I miss a target, I want to freaking miss them. On the other side of the coin, I want to BE ABLE to aim. Even if I become an expert at using a controller for FPS games, using a joystick is still a stupid system of aiming.

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 10:43 AM
Anyone know anything about this big hunky cheap looking device? http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/12529/splitfish_fragfx_brings_mouse_to_ps3

Edit: found a review. I wonder how much they paid IGN for this review http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799262p1.html

|MaguS|
09-06-07, 10:47 AM
Thats probably part of it. But the fact that I'm still about to kill with ease is what bugs me the most. I'm clearly missing targets while shooting, but yet they fall and die. It ruins the immersion for me. If I miss a target, I want to freaking miss them. On the other side of the coin, I want to BE ABLE to aim. Even if I become an expert at using a controller for FPS games, using a joystick is still a stupid system of aiming.

What game are you playing that your missing and the characters still die?

christos
09-06-07, 10:49 AM
Why do you continue to try and force yourself to play consoles? Why not just be happy with your pc?

Sell your Wii since you express nothing but displeasure for it and upgrade your CPU to quad core.

It seems consoles are not going to make you happy, especially if FPS are the only games you think are worth a damn these days on consoles.

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 10:50 AM
Call of Duty 3 and Darkness

Namrok
09-06-07, 11:05 AM
Yeah, it took me a long time to get remotely OK at FPS on the consoles. A lot of the ported PC games are impossible, simply because the levels were designed without the limitations of a gamepad in mind. You simply cannot do a 180. Hence, arena style shootouts that used to be common in PC FPSes have more or less faded away since most games are console centric now. Console FPSes usually have plenty of aim assist too. Radars are really common too now, regardless of whether it makes sense. Ah well, what can ya do?

Prime 3's controls are masterful though. I never had a problem with Red Steel like a lot of people seemed to, but the controls in Prime 3 clearly put it to shame.

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 11:09 AM
Why do you continue to try and force yourself to play consoles? Why not just be happy with your pc?

Sell your Wii since you express nothing but displeasure for it and upgrade your CPU to quad core.

It seems consoles are not going to make you happy, especially if FPS are the only games you think are worth a damn these days on consoles.
With the Wii, I'll agree with you on that. I shouldn't have bought it.

With the PS3, there are plenty of games I will be able to enjoy that are NOT FPS games. Its just none of them are out yet.

The sad(but true) fact is that PC gamers are getting pissed on. These are VERY VERY high quality games that are on the Xbox360 and PS3. For every 1 quality game for PC, there are 10 for each console. Its rediculous. I'm never going to stop playing my PC games, but there are also tons of console games that will either never see the light of day on PC, or will be extremely delayed/unoptimized.

To continue to be a gamer without a console is frustrating and pointless. This may change in the future, this may not. Before I bought my Wii, it had been 7 full years since I ever laid hands on a console. Trust me, it was hard for me to make the decision to move back to using consoles. As you can tell from all my threads bitching and complaining about them, it was very hard. I wish PC games got as much attention as they use to. I wish quality PC games were released as much as they use to. They aren't. Instead of bitching anymore about PC gamers not getting attention, I'm going to sway my bitching to be about why console gaming sucks while I try to be a console gamer. :D

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 11:11 AM
Prime 3's controls are masterful though. I never had a problem with Red Steel like a lot of people seemed to, but the controls in Prime 3 clearly put it to shame.
If you look above, I have no problem with the Wii controller. Its a brilliant controller system that WORKS for FPS games. Joysticks of PS3 and Xbox360 don't.

christos
09-06-07, 11:19 AM
The sad(but true) fact is that PC gamers are getting pissed on. These are VERY VERY high quality games that are on the Xbox360 and PS3. For every 1 quality game for PC, there are 10 for each console. Its rediculous. I'm never going to stop playing my PC games, but there are also tons of console games that will either never see the light of day on PC, or will be extremely delayed/unoptimized.

I agree with you on all of the above. My wife bought my a Wii last xmas, which marked my return to console gaming since I had bought my ps2 the day it was released. What I ended up doing recently was I sold my 8800GTX and bought a PS3 and a 8600GT to hold me over. I don't regret it. I plan to return to PC gaming when the 9 series comes out along with the 45nm quads.

So far I'm enjoying and have enjoyed several games types which they just don't make for the PC anymore - these games include: MP3 Corruption, NBA Street, Super Paper Mario, Carnival Games (yes, I actually like this one), Grip Shift (loved it for the psp, and even more so for the ps3). Obviously I also enjoyed games like Resistance, the Darkness, etc...but these experiences can also be had on the PC.

The whole thing with consoles, is that I find myself actually playing games now instead of endlessly tweaking things, waiting for updated drivers and/or patches, monitoring fraps trying to squeeze out an extra couple of fps.

Namrok
09-06-07, 11:19 AM
I hear you on the PC gaming though. I used to game exclusively on the PC, with all the elitism that carried. But the gaming just dried up too much. Shooters got horribly generic, and then stopped coming out entirely except for the occasional WW2 game. Well, more than occasional. Strategy went the same way. There are just so few AAA titles coming out on PC these days. We get one about every 3 months, whereas the consoles get at least one a month, often more.

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 11:27 AM
The whole thing with consoles, is that I find myself actually playing games now instead of endlessly tweaking things, waiting for updated drivers and/or patches, monitoring fraps trying to squeeze out an extra couple of fps.
This is one thing i never will understand of people's reasons of "why" they moved to consoles so they don't have to "tweak".

I never tweak anything. I raise my settings the highest they will go with good framerates, and then play. Takes MAYBE 5 minutes after I just buy the game, after that I don't touch it. I don't care about getting every last frame per second. I just play the game. I also don't get why people see tweaking as a bad thing. Last I checked, it was a good one.

I hear you on the PC gaming though. I used to game exclusively on the PC, with all the elitism that carried. But the gaming just dried up too much. Shooters got horribly generic, and then stopped coming out entirely except for the occasional WW2 game. Well, more than occasional. Strategy went the same way. There are just so few AAA titles coming out on PC these days. We get one about every 3 months, whereas the consoles get at least one a month, often more.
I WISH we got AAA titles every 3 months. We're lucky if we get 1 or 2 titles throughout an entire year that you can actually say "You know, that was one well made game". Bioshock is the first game that has made me say that in a LONG time. Even then, Bioshock is on consoles as well so its not like we are actually getting something they don't. Consoles get good releases all the time that never see a PC.

Saintster
09-06-07, 11:33 AM
Before I bought my 360 and then the PS3 I had a hell of a time using the controller but i adapted quickly. I agree with you guys that PC gaming has been getting screwed as of late that's why I use my ps3 as a buffer in between PC games. Of course we are going into a game crazy period for the PC thank god. I just finished Bioshock and am awaiting MOH Airborne but in the meantime have been playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma in between. I have gotten used to FPS on consoles it took awhile though for me it was learning how to aim more fluid with the controller vs just pushing the stick one way or the other to aim it's a different feel I prefer a mouse and keyboard to a gamepad any day. I have fun with both platforms except this NGS is pissing me off but I'm making it thought the game.

ralinn
09-06-07, 11:38 AM
You'll just get used to controllers in an FPS eventually. I remember the first time I played a PC FPS with a mouse and keyboard, I was all over the place. It's pretty much the same thing, just keep at it and you'll get better.

You will never find it as good as a keyboard and mouse, but you'll begin to appreciate being able to put your feet up and play an FPS with minimal effort. :)

spaceigg
09-06-07, 11:47 AM
RE4 is the only game I can use the control on the cube... I mean as far as first or third person shooter goes..

|MaguS|
09-06-07, 11:48 AM
Call of Duty 3 and Darkness

I will agree with the Darkness. It's controls felt very loose but alot of games feel good, like Bioshock and Rainbow Six. Resistence also has great console controls.

You just gotta get use to it.

superklye
09-06-07, 11:52 AM
Playing R6 online helped immensely with my (lack of) playing-FPS-with-a-controller skills.

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 11:58 AM
Anyone know anything about this big hunky cheap looking device? http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/12529/splitfish_fragfx_brings_mouse_to_ps3

Edit: found a review. I wonder how much they paid IGN for this review http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799262p1.html
asking again...

Lyme
09-06-07, 12:02 PM
Publishers "screwing" the pc market and simply producing games for consoles in a smart idea for a number of reasons. The first and foremost is that when you make a game for a console you only need to make it for one console. When you make it for the PC you need to ensure it runs on a billion different configurations.
I moved from pc to console gaming simply because I was tired of shelling out the money to upgrade or replace my pc every two years to ensure it plays the new games reasonably well. Buy a console and you don't have to upgrade for five or more years.

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 12:15 PM
Publishers "screwing" the pc market and simply producing games for consoles in a smart idea for a number of reasons. The first and foremost is that when you make a game for a console you only need to make it for one console. When you make it for the PC you need to ensure it runs on a billion different configurations.
I completely understand "why" companies are moving towards console games. Still pisses me off though.

I moved from pc to console gaming simply because I was tired of shelling out the money to upgrade or replace my pc every two years to ensure it plays the new games reasonably well. Buy a console and you don't have to upgrade for five or more years.
Thats not a problem for me. I upgrade my video card every time a new one is released. My CPU on the other hand, I just upgrade when I feel like it, which is rare. CPU's can last a very long time without reaching a slow down. Only reason I want to upgrade from what I have now is because I think AMD is the devil. :p

NaitoSan
09-06-07, 12:15 PM
Yep, you gotta get used to it if you give it a chance. I'm totally used to it and didn't have any troubles.

nVidi0t
09-06-07, 12:49 PM
I got used to it but I still suck. Watching me play Halo 2 Deathmatch is like throwing one of the teletubbies into the Battle of the Bulge.

buffbiff21
09-06-07, 02:12 PM
The best solution is "don't play FPS games" :rofl

Tygerwoody
09-06-07, 03:02 PM
The best solution is "don't play FPS games" :rofl
and miss out on all the good games? Bah.

I think I might buy that controller/mouse doohicky thing I linked earlier. Hopefully that will do its job.