PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall Windows when going from 680i LT to 680i.

[EOCF] Tim
09-06-07, 10:46 AM
Just wondering, I assume I'd have to change the motherboard drivers ofcourse, but reinstalling windows, I wonder.

What do you guys think, XFX 680i LT to eVGA 680i SLI.

Bman212121
09-06-07, 10:56 AM
Tim']Just wondering, I assume I'd have to change the motherboard drivers ofcourse, but reinstalling windows, I wonder.

What do you guys think, XFX 680i LT to eVGA 680i SLI.

Worst case scenario you'd need to run a repair on the pc. I'm guessing it is the same driver for those boards anyway, so the change will probably be transparent to windows. One way to keep the pc from bluescreening when switching chipsets is to uninstall any chipset drivers for your board. I've done that sucessfully and was able to move windows between different pc configurations without having to reinstall.

[EOCF] Tim
09-06-07, 11:49 AM
Worst case scenario you'd need to run a repair on the pc. I'm guessing it is the same driver for those boards anyway, so the change will probably be transparent to windows. One way to keep the pc from bluescreening when switching chipsets is to uninstall any chipset drivers for your board. I've done that sucessfully and was able to move windows between different pc configurations without having to reinstall.

Yea, I figured that, I was wondering if there are any other things in windows that an uninstall of the drivers wouldn't fix/update you know. :)

Xion X2
09-06-07, 06:43 PM
Tim']Yea, I figured that, I was wondering if there are any other things in windows that an uninstall of the drivers wouldn't fix/update you know. :)

IRQs. When Windows first installs, it reads the IRQ assignments off your bios/motherboard and configures Windows for them.

But I think if you uninstall your chipset drivers and then reinstall the correct ones that you might be fine. I usually end up reformatting, though.

[EOCF] Tim
09-07-07, 01:57 AM
IRQs. When Windows first installs, it reads the IRQ assignments off your bios/motherboard and configures Windows for them.

But I think if you uninstall your chipset drivers and then reinstall the correct ones that you might be fine. I usually end up reformatting, though.

Allright then, I'll give it a go, thanks. :)