PDA

View Full Version : New Nvidia user :)

war_child
09-07-07, 09:50 PM
From reading the forums, I think I have pretty much everything set correctly. Anyone know any good article that explains the 3D settings below.

Anti-Aliasing 16xQ
Coverage Sample
16 CSAA

* ATI didn't have those settings.

oh and I bought a 8800 GTX, wow what a difference from an ATI 1900XT

nrdstrm
09-08-07, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the forums! I don't have the answers your looking for, and Friday night can be kinda slow here. Fear not though, someone will point you in the right direction soon enough :)

Digital_Trans
09-08-07, 12:43 AM
Welcome!

Someone will have an answer for you. There's alot of talent on NV News forums when it comes to a knowledge base on 3D settings on NVIDIA based graphics cards. Give it until noon tomorrow or before and I'M 100% sure someone can help you on this matter! (nana2)

Digital_Trans
09-08-07, 12:46 AM
From reading the forums I think I have pretty much everything set correctly. Does anyone know of any good article I can read to help me understand some of the 3D settings better.

Anti-Aliasing 16xQ
Coverage Sample
16 CSAA

Just various things like the above, ATI didn't have those settings.

Yes, your learning! ATI has nothing good to offer! NVIDIA had all the best products and performance when it comes to high-end graphics cards such as the G-80 series.
It's like buying a new car but instead you're getting a new graphics card to take for a test drive on one of you're computer games! :D Just wait for the G92-9800 GTX to come out!
If those specs hold true then ATI will be setting in a hole for at least 12 months.

The codename for the chip will be "G92" and NOT "G90" as previously expected.
I got the following data from an NVIDIA insider.

"G92" NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX Specs:

- 65nm process technology at TSMC.
- Over one billion transistors.
- Second Generation "Unified Shader Architecture".
- Double Precsion support (FP64).
- Improved Anti-Aliasing and AF.
- Native GPGPU design (under the "CUDA 2" program).
- Over one TeraFLOP of shader processing power.
- MADD+ADD Shader Units (2+1 =3 FLOPs) per shader Operation.
- 512-bit Memory Inteface.
- 1024MB GDDR4 of Graphics Memory.
- DirectX 10.1 Support
- OpenGL 3.0 Support

Note: This hasn't been confirmed but let's hope it's true! (nana2)

damicatz
09-08-07, 02:04 AM
Would be nice if nVidia actually fixed the issues with their existing GPUs before churning out new products.

Yes, your learning! ATI has nothing good to offer! NVIDIA had all the best products and performance when it comes to high-end graphics cards such as the G-80 series.
It's like buying a new car but instead you're getting a new graphics card to take for a test drive on one of you're computer games! :D Just wait for the G92-9800 GTX to come out!
If those specs hold true then ATI will be setting in a hole for at least 12 months.

The codename for the chip will be "G92" and NOT "G90" as previously expected.
I got the following data from an NVIDIA insider.

"G92" NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX Specs:

- 65nm process technology at TSMC.
- Over one billion transistors.
- Second Generation "Unified Shader Architecture".
- Double Precsion support (FP64).
- Improved Anti-Aliasing and AF.
- Native GPGPU design (under the "CUDA 2" program).
- Over one TeraFLOP of shader processing power.
- MADD+ADD Shader Units (2+1 =3 FLOPs) per shader Operation.
- 512-bit Memory Inteface.
- 1024MB GDDR4 of Graphics Memory.
- DirectX 10.1 Support
- OpenGL 3.0 Support

Note: This hasn't been confirmed but let's hope it's true! (nana2)

SLippe
09-08-07, 04:18 AM
From reading the forums I think I have pretty much everything set correctly. Does anyone know of any good article I can read to help me understand some of the 3D settings better.

Anti-Aliasing 16xQ
Coverage Sample
16 CSAA

Just various things like the above, ATI didn't have those settings.

Welcome to the nVidia world and to nVNews. I'm sure jAkUp will chime in soon enough. ;)

ATOJAR
09-08-07, 07:30 AM
I can help you with one of those, click below!

Anti-aliasing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Aliasing)

hokeyplyr48
09-08-07, 09:33 PM
Would be nice if nVidia actually fixed the issues with their existing GPUs before churning out new products.

what problems would you be talking about?

damicatz
09-08-07, 10:01 PM
what problems would you be talking about?

The texture eviction bug which causes a lot of modern games to slow down to the point where they are unplayable on some setups. The fact that 16-bit colour games look like they are running in 256-color mode and worse than my old Rage Pro because nVidia couldn't be bothered to include proper dithering support on the 8800 (or 8-bit palatalized textures).

Or the constant stuttering in UT2004 (I suspect they don't have much motivation to fix that bug because they want people to upgrade to UT3 so they can sell Geforce 9 cards to everyone). And let's not forget everyone's favorite bug, the nvlddmkm stopped responding issue in Vista, which nVidia has claimed they have fixed on no less than 3 seperate driver releases, and which despite those claims, people still are affected by it.

I'll be damned if I'm going to give nVidia any more money when there are still so many issues with their existing products.