PDA

View Full Version : LOW OC on 8800GTX Core/Help

By0T0xN
09-09-07, 04:10 PM
Hi' I'm new to the forums. Been reading a while but this is my first post. Love the forums and the community seem solid and well informed. I'm also a new owner of an EVGA 8800 GTX.

I'm having problems overclocking my core on this card. I can't seem to get it i past the 594 mark step to 612. When I jump to 612 it begins to artifact, even locking up at times. Have I got a dud or is there something I need to do in order to get it to perform better? My temps at stock are around 56-60c and underload the run 77-81c depending on ambient temps. My ram seems to be pretty good as they run fine @1050/2100. I sure could use some help determinig the issue here. Kinda bummed about the results I'm getting on the core.

Dazz
09-09-07, 07:13 PM
Try turning down the memory clocks and see where you get with the GPU clock. Mine is the oppersite, my GPU clocks to 633MHz but my memory tops out little over 2000MHz.

SLippe
09-09-07, 07:16 PM
Set everything back to default, then set your Core Clock. After you get that to where you want it (stable), then set your Memory Clock. The Core Clock will give the best performance increase anyways, so ALWAYS set that first.

Also, take a look here;
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&number=3&howtopage=190&howtoID=72

You'll notice the steppings on the G80 series are set differently than previous cards.

By0T0xN
09-10-07, 06:52 AM
Yeah I read that article and thanx for both of your responses. After reading it that's when I noticed that I was getting the artifacts and lockups at the 594 to 612 jump. I would creep up to a core setting of 603 (in ATITool) and then when it went to 604 the core jumps up from 594 to 612. It just won't do 612 even with the memory at stock settings of 900/1800. Bummer deal, seems I just got a low oc'er on the core side. :thumbdwn:

Do you think I should lower my ram oc of 2100. You said that the core is where I get most of my performance increase. Would it be prudent to lower the ram and give it a little break to increase the life of it? Will that make a difference in my fps on games much? Like, I don't know, say run it at 1000/2000? Do you think that an aftermarket cooler, (Thermalright HR-03 plus),would help me to be stable at 612 by lowering my temps or do you think that would be a waste of money and a shot in the dark for the performance gain?

Sry about all the questions. Just want to make an informed decision. Thanx again guys.

SLippe
09-10-07, 07:26 AM
Yeah I read that article and thanx for both of your responses. After reading it that's when I noticed that I was getting the artifacts and lockups at the 594 to 612 jump. I would creep up to a core setting of 603 (in ATITool) and then when it went to 604 the core jumps up from 594 to 612. It just won't do 612 even with the memory at stock settings of 900/1800. Bummer deal, seems I just got a low oc'er on the core side. :thumbdwn:

Do you think I should lower my ram oc of 2100. You said that the core is where I get most of my performance increase. Would it be prudent to lower the ram and give it a little break to increase the life of it? Will that make a difference in my fps on games much? Like, I don't know, say run it at 1000/2000? Do you think that an aftermarket cooler, (Thermalright HR-03 plus),would help me to be stable at 612 by lowering my temps or do you think that would be a waste of money and a shot in the dark for the performance gain?

Sry about all the questions. Just want to make an informed decision. Thanx again guys.
What's the stock setting on the Memory? Have you set the card's clocks back to default and then started overclocking the Core first? If not, try that. Like I said before, the Core Clock will make the biggest difference, so overclock the Core first...then the memory. ;) Better cooling can never hurt.

By0T0xN
09-10-07, 05:19 PM
Stock settings for the GTX are 1800 mhz. I tried the stock ram settings and the inch my way up on the core and hit the wall at 612. It's just not stable at 612. :(

sandeep
09-10-07, 10:20 PM
Stock settings for the GTX are 1800 mhz. I tried the stock ram settings and the inch my way up on the core and hit the wall at 612. It's just not stable at 612. :(
Dude, don't stress. Its okay- the overclock you've got there.

The extra overclock you want aint going to matter at all!!!!!!!! The fps difference that you will see is going to be negligible.

Just calm down and play your games. G80 has got a really good cooler. Stripping it off, you're inviting other problems and with after market coolers, the card feels its worth $2.

By0T0xN
09-11-07, 06:49 AM
Dude, don't stress. Its okay- the overclock you've got there.

The extra overclock you want aint going to matter at all!!!!!!!! The fps difference that you will see is going to be negligible.

Just calm down and play your games. G80 has got a really good cooler. Stripping it off, you're inviting other problems and with after market coolers, the card feels its worth $2.

I already stipped the cooler and reapplied AS5 to the core. Left the rest alone and my core dropped about 4c. You aint kiddin about the card lookin weak with all it's clothes off. As far as calming down, yeah, I am, I was just hopping for better headroom on the core. Had dreams of creeping closer to the Superclocked version settings or at least pass the 600 mark. Oh well, like you said I'm just gonna have fun with it, now that I know my max.

F.E.A.R XP was flying last night. Decent improvement over my 7950GX2.