PDA

View Full Version : EVGA - ACS3 or reference cooling?

PoweredBySoy
09-09-07, 09:16 PM
So I'm trying to decide which 8800GTS card to buy. As usual I'm looking mainly at EVGA. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their ACS3 cooling system. It seems to add about an extra $50 onto the price of the respective stock card.

Normally what I do is just purchase a Zalman hsf and install that. But it seems there are very few after market heatsinks for these 8800 cards. And the ones that are around or gaudy, with the GTS requiring extra parts.

My main concerns are heat and noise. Always using Zalmans, I'm spoiled by how quiet my computer is during gaming. I'm afraid a whiny stock hsf would annoy me.

Is this ACS3 system noticeably quieter? Does it help cooling and overclocks? I looked around the internet, but couldn't find much info comparing the two cooling systems.

Thanks.

Eliminator
09-09-07, 09:45 PM
i would recomend getting the regular one with the stock cooler and getting a thermalright hr-03 plus for it

ATOJAR
09-10-07, 03:48 AM
i would recomend getting the regular one with the stock cooler and getting a thermalright hr-03 plus for it

Yip, exactly what i was going to say! .... i have a HR-03 Plus, its awsome, nothing can beat this for a air cooler! .... at the moment i got a idle temp of 48c(thats with my overclocks) ..... load is usually around 65c thats after running atitool artifact scanner for over 1 hour! ...... if you want quieter cooling then thats all up to you, you choose what fan you put on there a 92mm vantec stealth is really quiet, i have a 92mm vantec thermoflow! ..... theres people who have easily modded a 120mm fan to the HR-03 Plus.

SLippe
09-10-07, 05:17 AM
I have the ACS3 version and I must say that the cooling is not the best. My idle is about 53' to 55' and my load is around 74' with the current clocks in my Sig, plus I have the fan set to 100% 24/7. Save your money and get the regular version and add an after-market cooler. ;)

PoweredBySoy
09-10-07, 07:21 AM
Hmmm, okay. Thanks for saving me the money, guys.

I'll have to think about that HR-03 though. From what I've been reading about it, I'm not too keen on it right now. I mean, it's a cooling juggernaut, I know... but it's just really expensive and, well, HUGE.

I'll probably just go with a reference cooler for now (which I hear are really good anyways), and if I'm not happy with it, I'll dig deeper into the HR-03.

Another reason I may stick with stock for now is that I may want to Step Up this November.

Thanks again.

Eliminator
09-10-07, 08:40 AM
Hmmm, okay. Thanks for saving me the money, guys.

I'll have to think about that HR-03 though. From what I've been reading about it, I'm not too keen on it right now. I mean, it's a cooling juggernaut, I know... but it's just really expensive and, well, HUGE.

I'll probably just go with a reference cooler for now (which I hear are really good anyways), and if I'm not happy with it, I'll dig deeper into the HR-03.

Another reason I may stick with stock for now is that I may want to Step Up this November.

Thanks again.
reference cooler is terrible... on my GTX with clocks at 600/1950 i reach 100*C with the fan at default speed (60%)... with fan at 100% i was getting around 84*C... ive got a HR-03 Plus coming in soon

nightmare beta
09-10-07, 01:50 PM
Get the newest zalman ,that might compare to the thermalright hs.

if you get the thermalright, though, get a 220cfm delta fan.

It'll be quite chilly.

Also, whatever you do, make damn sure you use AS5, that will definately help as well.

Clean the existing thermal paste off with a thermal paste remover, as that is necessary before installing the as5.

UberRN69
09-10-07, 08:41 PM
If your willing to wait Zalman is coming out with a HF1000, there are a few pics out there. No idea when it will go retail or if it's a huge improvement over the stock cooling. From what I've seen in the pictures at least it does not(edit) take up 4 slots as the HR03 Plus does. Too soon to say. If anyone as seen an early review on this or has info please post and let us know

SH0DAN
09-10-07, 10:26 PM
Get the HR-03 Plus,passive it can match the stock cooling.I am going with it and no fan.I am really liking my passive oc on my Quad,and want to take it one step further to my GTS 640.I only have a mild oc on it,and figure a passive oc should be no problem.

I know on one other personally,that has a GTS 640 running passive with this cooler + AC Ceramique.

I'll likely use IC Diamond 7 on it.

Slammin
09-10-07, 10:44 PM
Get the newest zalman ,that might compare to the thermalright hs.

if you get the thermalright, though, get a 220cfm delta fan.

It'll be quite chilly.

Also, whatever you do, make damn sure you use AS5, that will definately help as well.

Clean the existing thermal paste off with a thermal paste remover, as that is necessary before installing the as5.

You mean Delta Airlines fan?

Wear ear plugs.

PoweredBySoy
09-11-07, 12:23 AM
I like the passive idea with the HR-03. And what I really like about the HR-03 is that it can be mounted to transfer the heat above the video card - and in line with the rest of the cases' air flow. I've always hated how video cards trap their heat in that 'dead spot' between itself and the sound card.

But again, I'll just use the reference cooler to start off with, and then go from there. If I find it's too loud or too hot, I'll look at aftermarket. The point of the thread was if ACS3 was worth it or not.

That Zalman 1000 looks like a bigger pain in the ass to install than the HR-03 =( Why are aftermarket hsf's all of a sudden so complex with these 8800 cards?

UberRN69
09-11-07, 01:08 AM
The point of the thread was if ACS3 was worth it or not.

Good Point... As far as I know the ACS3 is just simply a cover that replaced the plastic cover. Underneath is the reference heatsink and fan. All the cover dose alow better air flow. Not worth the extra $50.

XDanger
09-11-07, 01:31 PM
If you dont want to break open the card due to "step up" I can recommend using a pci slot blower(set the suck), dropped my gts temps by about 10c, idles @50 from 60c b4

Im not going to use aftermarket on this card coz im selling it before the new ones come out.
same reason im not flashing the bios

nightmare beta
09-11-07, 02:10 PM
Good Point... As far as I know the ACS3 is just simply a cover that replaced the plastic cover. Underneath is the reference heatsink and fan. All the cover dose alow better air flow. Not worth the extra $50.

it has an black aluminum block on the bottom of the PCB.

They don't use ram that's stable at their oc's so you'll need to clock it down to stock clocks.