PDA

View Full Version : AnandTech Barcelona Benchmarks

Pages : [1] 2

KasuCode
09-10-07, 03:00 AM
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2944&Itemid=1

Redeemed
09-10-07, 03:17 AM
I don't know how much I like that. I do hope the Phenoms prove to be much faster, and have a much finer polish on them. If 15% is all we can expect from Phenom then... :cry:

Redeemed
09-10-07, 04:14 AM
This has been stated before and I'll repeat it:

AMD's best plan right now is to do what they've always done- lay low and accept 2nd place in regards to performance, but do what they can to make 1st place in regards to prices. Plan long-term down the line how they can retake the performance crown, and focus short term on getting more sales to boost profits. After this review I'm not expecting anything mind boggling (CPU wise) from AMD till at the very least the end of next year, but probably more closer to 09 or 2010. They've got quite a bit of financial ground to regain before they can hit back hard- atleast in my opinion.

CaptNKILL
09-10-07, 04:14 AM
All AMD has to do is price these right and they will be competitive CPUs... assuming they run cool and overclock well.

The high end gaming market will still be ruled by Intel though most likely. There's just nothing like a 1Ghz overclock on an already speedy CPU.

Redeemed
09-10-07, 04:15 AM
All AMD has to do is price these right and they will be competitive CPUs... assuming they run cool and overclock well.

The high end gaming market will still be ruled by Intel though most likely. There's just nothing like a 1Ghz overclock on an already speedy CPU.

Exactly. AMD needs to sacrifice the High-end market in order to save their sales. If they can focus on capturing the mainstream and low-end, they'll have it relatively made- assuming they can keep those markets.

Viral
09-10-07, 04:55 AM
I'm sure these results will improve over time, but Intel aren't sitting still either. So I'd have to agree, AMD have a competitive chip, not a dominant one. Whether Intel are going to let AMD catch up is another story.

I am however quite interested in this little piece from theTechReport.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13176/12

...for the past couple of years, both Intel and AMD have been talking up a storm about how power-efficient performance is the new key to processors, especially in the server space. By that standard, AMD now has the lead. By any measure—and we have several, including idle power, peak power, and a couple of energy use metrics—the quad-core Opterons trump Intel's quad-core Xeons. Even the early 2.5GHz chip we tested proved to have relatively low power draw, which bodes well. We'll have to take the Opteron 2347 HE out for a test drive soon, to see how it fares, as well.

I'm liking the sound of that for what are still early chips.

CaptNKILL
09-10-07, 05:02 AM
Exactly. AMD needs to sacrifice the High-end market in order to save their sales. If they can focus on capturing the mainstream and low-end, they'll have it relatively made- assuming they can keep those markets.
I was going to say that AMD has a pretty good grip on the low end segment right now ($60-$100) but I just realized that Intel is actually selling the "Pentium Dual Core" E2140 and E2160 CPUs retail now. They are just lower clocked Allendale core CPUs (like the E4xxx series) so they seem to perform well, and overclock well too.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core_2_duo_e2160_review/12.html

I think things are pretty close in that market.

Under $60, AMD has a clear lead. The Conroe-L core Celerons are just about even with the cheap-as-dirt Sempron 64s, but can't match the low end Athlon 64s that are now in the same price range.

... I wonder how good of a PC I could build for $300. :D

EDIT: Wow this is a pretty decent system for a mere $250 shipped:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=7284468&WishListTitle=Dirt+Cheap+Everyday+System

:eek:

Tygerwoody
09-10-07, 08:13 AM
:rofl AMD is such a joke company. They should have just named their CPU "The Phantom".

I'm quite certain Infinium Labs will purchase AMD and use them in their next joke gaming system, as thats all the CPU's will be worth. :p

madmossy
09-10-07, 08:40 AM
Thats a little harsh dont you think, AMD might have been falling behind currently sure but then whats an underdog supposed to do when they are up against a multi billion dollar company with more cash to spash than sense.

Only seen a hand full of reviews so far and none of them have shown the full potential of the Barcelona due to the lack of HT3.0 support.

What AMD might lack with performance I think will easily be made up but efficiency and price/performace. I think AMD will do quiet well in the business market, not only are the barcelona's power efficient, they performace brilliantly and scale extremely well in multi cpu configurations, that and the fact its so easy to upgrade from opteron dual core to quad core, AMD's 54% share in the HPC market is pretty damn secure. If they can also knock these cpu's cheaply they will again get tonnes from OEM companies like Dell.

lightman
09-10-07, 08:47 AM
whats an underdog supposed to do when they are up against a multi billion dollar company with more cash to spash than sense.

Maybe not to throw the little money they have out of the window by buying a company almost as large as they are and instead maybe use that money for some more R&D ?

radekhulan
09-10-07, 09:23 AM
Seems like AMD launched new CPUs and nobody really cares. Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad launch was much more impressive. And we have Penryn coming..

jcrox
09-10-07, 09:45 AM
Maybe not to throw the little money they have out of the window by buying a company almost as large as they are and instead maybe use that money for some more R&D ?

Buying ATI is R&D, Stream processing is the future.

six_storm
09-10-07, 09:49 AM
AMD's not doing so hot right now . . . but they'll be back on top again. History repeats itself!

I'm a huge AMD fan, I like to see the underdog come up above the big timers and win every once in a while. But we all know they can't stay on top forever. I just converted to Intel for the first time in 4 years today . . .

:surrender

evilghost
09-10-07, 10:36 AM
Seems like AMD launched new CPUs and nobody really cares. Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad launch was much more impressive. And we have Penryn coming..

I care, especially considering the low TDP values as compared to Intel. Lower power consumption and heat generation are certainly benefits, not just performance.

Slammin
09-10-07, 12:04 PM
I care, especially considering the low TDP values as compared to Intel. Lower power consumption and heat generation are certainly benefits, not just performance.

The whole arguement around efficiency kind of goes right out the window unless you are talking laptops and battery life.

I mean really, would you rather have a slow desktop with a really efficient cpu, or a fast desktop with a less efficient cpu?

Bottom line is AMD really has no answer to Intel's best, and if capturing the lower market is the new target, where incidently, profit margins are much less, the chances of them ever recapturing any performance crown is even less.

And performance IS everything!

AngelGraves13
09-10-07, 12:15 PM
I just hope we see more processors soon.

Tr1cK
09-10-07, 12:47 PM
The whole arguement around efficiency kind of goes right out the window unless you are talking laptops and battery life.

I mean really, would you rather have a slow desktop with a really efficient cpu, or a fast desktop with a less efficient cpu?

Bottom line is AMD really has no answer to Intel's best, and if capturing the lower market is the new target, where incidently, profit margins are much less, the chances of them ever recapturing any performance crown is even less.

And performance IS everything!

Servers.

evilghost
09-10-07, 12:51 PM
Servers.

Exactly. How often is your processor actually running 100% utilization? I'd much rather have slightly less performance on a server platform and not have to worry about the cost of heat dissipation and excessive power consumption.

I've actually reverted by P4-3Ghz-HT server to a Duron 750 due to power utilization.

Tygerwoody
09-10-07, 02:34 PM
Poor AMD. If only they had chose to keep supporting 939, I believe they would be in ALOT better situation financially.

That, and actually release products worth a damn.

six_storm
09-10-07, 03:13 PM
Poor AMD. If only they had chose to keep supporting 939, I believe they would be in ALOT better situation financially.

That, and actually release products worth a damn.

They should've stayed with 939skt at least until this year.

jcrox
09-10-07, 03:57 PM
I'm still not going quad until I see some real head to head performance numbers from a real gaming system with unregistered memory and a recognizable motherboard that I would consider buying for my desktop as well as some prices and some over-clocking results.

nightmare beta
09-10-07, 05:19 PM
low power consumption compared to the core 2?

I thought a G0 q6600 w/ as5 and the stock hsf was like 25 C idle, and not over 32 C load.

Redeemed
09-10-07, 05:24 PM
low power consumption compared to the core 2?

I thought a G0 q6600 w/ as5 and the stock hsf was like 25 C idle, and not over 32 C load.

:wtf:

Care to back this up?

nightmare beta
09-10-07, 05:27 PM
:wtf:

Care to back this up?

I've heard that from other people who have purchased a core 2 quad G0.

They run pretty cold, unlike anything else.

I'm sure that if you set the fan speed at highest rpm, then it will definately run that cold, and then you can even undervolt it slightly.

Dragunov
09-10-07, 05:30 PM
Well I thought those Barcelona was gonna kick some asses and be a good performer, always good for the competition ... but it doesn't kick a thing