PDA

View Full Version : Crysis Beta Feedback Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93

mullet
09-11-07, 11:44 AM
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8325/screenshot0005ib9.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0005ib9.jpg)
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7791/screenshot0007ej6.th.jpg (http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0007ej6.jpg)
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5967/screenshot0011gm0.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0011gm0.jpg)
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4954/screenshot0013bk3.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0013bk3.jpg)
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9616/screenshot0018pb2.th.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0018pb2.jpg)

Tried different resolutions and I like 1280x768 the most, even though i can use 1440x900 this just felt better for me.

Those are some nice screens man, the water looks awesome.

CaptNKILL
09-11-07, 11:45 AM
1. Limiting user base + potential sales for the developer.
2. Beta’s limited users base = less testing of the game = more bugs not caught.
3. Less system configurations to test betas on.
4. Purchasing exclusive rights to games then using those games to try and generate more Company revenue.
5. Changing the way all digital content is delivered to the user and making what use to be an open source delivering method into a personalized profit platform. ie. US health care system.
6. Using their subscribers base to generate even more income by forcing them to PAY MORE!
7. Calling games Open Beta when in-fact they are indeed CLOSED to the site payers ONLY!
1. Betas are not released to generate sales. They may do that some times, but more often than not, a game's problems will give it a bad name. Just look at the negative opinions of ET:QW based on the beta. If millions of gamers had played it, the game would be bashed into the ground.

2. As I said before, more "testers" does not mean better testers. The majority of people who see a beta are playing it simply to play the game... not to test it and help to report and solve problems. Most multiplayer betas require limited license keys anyway, or else the game servers will be overloaded and they will spend more time troubleshooting their servers. Server problems, mixed in with thousands or millions of anxious gamers is the kind of thing that creates enough negative PR to kill a game before its even released.

With limited license keys, you get a controlled amount of testers. The problem is, your keys are going to be filled up by the first few thousand joe-shmoes that see the headlines at VE3D or BluesNews. The likelyhood that even a quarter of them are serious about testing games is pretty slim. They just think its a "demo", play it, see a bunch of bugs, and call the game a POS.

By limiting the keys to the paying subscribers of a given website, you get people who are at the very least, willing to pay to test a game. You're more likely to get testers that actually give a s*** when they voluntarily payed to do it. In fact, people who actually enjoy testing and reporting problems to developers can reliably get into betas by paying, rather than getting screwed every time a beta is released while they are at work and 6,000 12 years olds fill the slots when they get home from school.

3. This is an issue of limited beta keys in general, regardless of if they require a payed subscription or not.

4,5,6,7. All these are "damn that evil corporation for making money" points. The world has changed over the past 10 years, we aren't dealing with a garaged based game developer sending a 3 meg beta of their latest game to Walnut Creek's ftp.cdrom.com (yeah I was around back then). Games are far more complicated, the bandwidth required to send games is massive and the amount of money involved is insane compared to what it was in the good old days.

Honestly, I'm tired of arguing this over and over. I payed for my account, and yes I even renewed it again this year. It'd be nice if people would just deal with it and stop filling beta threads with Fileplanet bashing.

Tygerwoody
09-11-07, 11:47 AM
Once upon a time I used to be able to download demos, for free, with no wait times, off the publisher/developer's website.

Yes I know that demos are much, much larger now. But that is not my concern.

Plus, not that I'm advocating piracy, but if you have the option of:

A) Downloading a 2 gig demo after waiting in a line for an hour or paying however much a month for the priveledge of downloading a demo or

B) Going to a bittorrent site and downloading the entire game for free with no wait, well...FilePlanet just doesn't look so hot anymore.

I'm in such a camp where I'm morally opposed to piracy, but the fact that it exists makes FilePlanet seem like a blatant rip off.
I would love for you to ask MikeC to remove the ads from this website and continue to leave it up. I would LOVE to see his response.

Websites cost money. They cost ALOT of money. Bandwidth can cost anywhere between $5 a month to MILLIONS a month. These websites MUST make money somehow. Fileplanet CAN NOT FUNCTION without pay accounts. Ads do not make enough. Asking them to remove pay accounts is like asking MikeC to remove ads from his site.

If you want to torrent, thats your choice. If you want quality downloads that you can depend on, you are going to have to pay.

Namrok
09-11-07, 11:56 AM
I would love for you to ask MikeC to remove the ads from this website and continue to leave it up. I would LOVE to see his response.

Websites cost money. They cost ALOT of money. Bandwidth can cost anywhere between $5 a month to MILLIONS a month. These websites MUST make money somehow. Fileplanet CAN NOT FUNCTION without pay accounts. Ads do not make enough. Asking them to remove pay accounts is like asking MikeC to remove ads from his site.

If you want to torrent, thats your choice. If you want quality downloads that you can depend on, you are going to have to pay.

Well, like I said, before publishers & developers cheaped out, they used to serve up the demos themselves. Hell, ftp.idsoftware.com still does! Although now that I goto check it seems to be down...so I guess bringing that up does me no good :/ I'd never expect a 3rd party to pony up the bandwidth to give out free samples of games. But they shouldn't have to. Like I said, it should be up to the publishers and developers.

I just don't see the point of paying, in any capacity, to play a demo. A demo is fundamentally an add. A teaser. Why pay for something that is designed to get you to pay MORE. It's greatest racket of all. People like you have actually been convinced to pay in order to be advertised to, and whats more, you attack anybody who perceives the lunacy of it.

SOAD
09-11-07, 11:56 AM

if it works it works.

lol no quality about it

Im not into piracy personally, but I feel that companys could garner alot more sells by their attitude and dealings than just slapping starforce onto their games ;)

$n][pErMan
09-11-07, 11:58 AM
Pay for a demo... lol. I'll wait for the game thank you very much. As for how gay these wait in line download sites have become... I will try and scrape the file off bit torrent when I get home :) Im sure someone somewhere has got it on torrent. Note... I never condone pirated software... but I dont consider a demo worth money :)

Unstable_Hero
09-11-07, 12:05 PM
Do you realize it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars or more JUST for bandwidth of File Planet? Yes, Fileplanet shouldn't have pay accounts. Not only that, but they shouldn't have ads either.

FilePlanet would go bankrupt within a month without subscriptions and ads. And thats being nice.
Cause FP is the only place to dl the good stuff, it used to be spread out across the internets. Can we just get back on topic no ones gonna win this argument.

CaptNKILL
09-11-07, 12:10 PM
Can we just get back on topic no ones gonna win this argument.
I agree.

Though, I think most people aren't talking because they are under NDA...

So this thread is going to be dull unless someone starts spillin' the beans. :p

Fats_43
09-11-07, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I'm tired of arguing this over and over. I payed for my account, and yes I even renewed it again this year. It'd be nice if people would just deal with it and stop filling beta threads with Fileplanet bashing.

/agreed Me too, you asked so I listed what I think are issues. I respect your opinion Cap. Also, step back for one second, swing that S^$# the other direction. Pro FP advocating doesn't do much but provoke the FP haters does it?
Now back on topic, I really want to see this MP beta in DX10 :/

mullet
09-11-07, 12:13 PM
I also hear there is a Crysis CD at walmart for $5, can anyone confirm this? Is this a demo?

CaptNKILL
09-11-07, 12:15 PM
I also hear there is a Crysis CD at walmart for $5, can anyone confirm this? Is this a demo?
Eh? :eek2:

Fats_43
09-11-07, 12:16 PM

What? like a pre-order type thing?

CaptNKILL
09-11-07, 12:17 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a preorder box at wal-mart. At least not in my area... though it wouldn't surprise me if they did this in cities where there were more people than deer...

Airbrushkid
09-11-07, 12:20 PM
Hehe your funny. But unlike you I don't need to rent a apartment. I own a house. And it's paid off.

Airbrushkid
09-11-07, 12:23 PM
Muke doesn't need to remove ad's. Just use Firefox with some scripts and I never see a ad on this site ever. I don't even see NvNews on the top of the page anymore.:captnkill:

conroejoe
09-11-07, 12:24 PM
Look, Fileplanet shouldn't be able to make money to provide a demo. Thats BS. I would never pay for MS live either. Anything that requires money on top of the cost of a game is not worth it to me. You guys can pay for Fileplanet, you'll never see me giving anyone a dime to "be a member" and get what should be FREE demos first. LAME. :captnkill:

CaptNKILL
09-11-07, 12:25 PM
Ohg... the screenshots so far are mouth watering...

This game is just stunning.

I can't wait for the next wave of beta keys.

|MaguS|
09-11-07, 12:28 PM
Muke doesn't need to remove ad's. Just fun Firefox with some scripts and I never see a ad on this site ever. I don't even see NbNews on the top of the page anymore.:captnkill:

Proves how big of a cheap ass you are... you can't even support a free community site by leaving the ads viewable (even though they dont bother anyone and you dont have to click them).

And to all those using the who limited testers arguement. Look at MMORPG Betas. They often have a closed phase where they only let in a limited amount of people... you know why? So they can get more direct feedback and control the gameplay enviroment easier.

mullet
09-11-07, 12:31 PM
Who is muke?

Unstable_Hero
09-11-07, 12:36 PM
I have a new hero if you catch my drift...

:D

(im not talking about ads)

Airbrushkid
09-11-07, 12:49 PM
Well if I don't want to see them I have at my means a way not to. Like avatars if I don't I don't have to see them either. It's not being cheap.

Tygerwoody
09-11-07, 12:49 PM
Muke doesn't need to remove ad's. Just use Firefox with some scripts and I never see a ad on this site ever. I don't even see NvNews on the top of the page anymore.:captnkill:
and see thats disgraceful. Firefox's function of removing ads completely takes money out of the web designers hands. All you are doing is hurting MikeC by that. He(and his team) provide a NVNews website FREE of charge to you, and yet you still basically spit in their face by blocking the ads that keep the site running. I hope that makes you feel better.

And yet you of all people wonder why FilePlanet HAS to charge money for accounts. Hmm I wonder... Could it be because losers like you BLOCK the ads that use to cause them to be free? No.. it couldn't be that could it? :rolleyes:

Airbrushkid
09-11-07, 12:53 PM
Hows that hurt Mike or take money out of the web desighers hand? The fact I buy from the places I want. I do the same to all sites. Block the ad's.

retsam
09-11-07, 12:55 PM
Hows that hurt Mike or take money out of the web desighers hand? The fact I buy from the places I want. I do the same to all sites. Block the ad's.
why dont you just ask mikec how he pays for the hosting charges every month? for a guy that purports to own a house and have it payed off you really dont know much about economics....

Tygerwoody
09-11-07, 12:55 PM
The longer this "blocking of ads" is allowed, the MORE sites will charge money to view their content. You freebie hungry people who want free content AND no ads are what "ruined" fileplanet. You caused the charge to happen. There is noone to point the finger at but your own self.