PDA

View Full Version : question about single sata (non raid) install

firehawk
09-10-07, 06:45 PM
quick question,

do i need to install the sata drivers on an asus a8n 32 sli when installing a single sata drive?

i ask because i didn't and windows seemed to install just fine. but....iam now having hard drive access issues. games stutter and hitch because of too much access

einstein_314
09-10-07, 07:20 PM
First off, windows XP or Vista?

You shouldn't have to install them. I certainly never did and I never had any problems.

How do you know that the stuttering you're getting is because of the hard drive? What are your specs? Maybe not enough RAM?

firehawk
09-10-07, 07:29 PM
its xp,

and at this point iam not sure what is causing the issue anymore. ive replaced the video card psu ram mobo and cpu. and still iam suffering

it all happened afer i swapped cases. i upgraded from my old ide drive to my now sata drive.

specs are:

8800 gtx
athlon 64 4800 x2
asus a8n32 sli
pc power and cool 1K
2 gigs of corsair ddr
wd raptor 150 gig

ive reformatted i dont know how many times now. ive swapped everything i can i checked my case for anything touching or coming in contact with any components. heat level on everything are good....on and on

the problem happens when a game has to load (ill use hl2 as an example) a new set of enemy npc a head of time i get a noticable hitch then back to normal. games like doom 3 and nfs most wanted are consistent hitching like iam dropping frames and something not keeping up