PDA

View Full Version : What Power Supply Should I Get?

cyntho
09-11-07, 11:58 AM
I plan on getting the following hardware with the following additions:

Motherboard: P35 Series Motherboard
CPU: Intel Q6600 G0 (Planning on OCing it to 3.4GHz, not sure on what Voltage (assuming 1.5v) I have to set this to yet, but I'll do some more reading/searching on that later when the time comes to buy) w/ a Thermalright Ultra 120 Heatsink.
Memory: 1x 2GB DDR2 Stick of RAM (will upgrade to 4 later).
Video: GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB (unsure on whether I want to OC yet).
Hard Drive: 320GB Sata Drive
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Razer Copperhead
Fans: 5 120mm (3 on High Setting and 2 on Medium settings) and 1 200mm (high setting)
Optical Drives: 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD-RW (not sure if brand matters)
Monitor: Samsung 226BW 22" LCD

(Ends up costing around $1900 w/ a PP&C Silencer 750 Quad)

I was thinking I may need to consider a 750watt or higher Power Supply, but I don't know if that's going to end up being overkill or not. I've been reading some of the topics here, while checking their PC setups, and I'm seeing some people running SLI 8800 GTXs on less. I guess I'm just a bit more confused as to what I should be looking for on a more detailed level rather than pure wattage alone.

I've read somewhere (probably that Extreme Power site) that the 12v Rail > 5v Rail > 3.3v Rail are the most important, in that order, and to make sure they have high amps on them.

I do plan on using this Power Supply for future PCs as well as to save in cost of having to buy another Power Supply. I think a Power Supply that is capable of 850w (which I believe the PP&C one I selected can do) should be acceptable for the 45nm processors and GeForce 9 Series stuff.

I really appreciate the great job and helpful attitude you all have. It's been quite a few years since I've updated my PC (Last one I built was back in the AMD Barton days, lol).

I did some tests on that site, and it tossed me at around almost 800 watts as a suggested PSU value at 100% load.

randsom
09-11-07, 12:10 PM
I love my pc&p 750 quad silencer

My rig is more power hungry than your and it handles it quite nicely.

I vote for the quad

cyntho
09-11-07, 12:26 PM
What voltage did you set your Q6600 to when you OC'd it to the 3.45GHz?

**Edit and does your PS leave you PLENTY of room for any addons or hardware upgrades?