PDA

View Full Version : Guys I need some major help with my rig!

toxikneedle
09-11-07, 08:19 PM
Hello to all, and thanks in advance for any replies. Yesterday my neighborhood had a power outage for a couple of hours, when I got home that night my PC wasn't turning on. When flicking the power supply on and off, the status lights on my mobo (DFI SLI-DR) turn on but then the top status lights dim down. After trying every thing I could to see what's broken and what's not, I narrowed it down to the ram. When I took out my 2 sticks of ram, the pc turned on fine. So i borrowed a 512mb stick of ram from my dad and used the PC for the rest of the night.

When I came home today, my pc wasn't turning on again. I openned the case and took out the ram and put it back in and now it seems fine again. So does this mean that it's not the ram that's problem but rather, the mobo? Everything else is working fine it seems.

I want to ask for advice on what the best option for me is because I recently bought a new car and I don't have any extra money at all.

Is it worth buying a new set of PC3200 ram or is it a better option for me to sell the mobo and cpu and buy an c2duo mobo/cpu/ram; which the only way I can achieve is to get some kind of a 6 month no interest deal or something.

My system is:
X2 4400 939
2GB Crucial PC3200
DFI Sli-DR 939 mobo

JOPS
09-12-07, 02:07 AM
I would probably test with another PSU to see what happens before touching anything else. If I have a power outage I also have to pull out the power plug and reinsert it before I try to start some of my PC's.

CaptNKILL
09-12-07, 02:36 AM
Sounds like the PSU got tweaked by a minor power surge.

It could be fried, but it may just need to sit with the power off and the cable unplugged for a bit.

Another trick which I've used before to "fix" quirky power supplies is to get a screwdriver with a plastic handle and touch it to the contacts where the PSU power cable plugs in (on the outside\BACK of the PSU, with the cable unplugged). It'll discharge (might make a little crackle noise) and pretty much take the power out of the unit.

This has fixed several non-booting PCs I've worked on. :)

toxikneedle
09-12-07, 07:44 AM
Hmm thanks guys. I originally thought it might be the PSU, I tested it by hooking it up to another computer which booted it right away and worked fine. The problem is that I don't have another PSU and because of the case that I have, I can't take mine out without taking the whole system apart. What about the ram though, I can't get get it to boot with the original 2 sticks that I had at all, but anything else I put it and I am able to boot right away.

nekrosoft13
09-13-07, 12:14 PM
the 2 sticks you had there originally will they work in your dads system?

with crucial you get lifetime warranty, try to RMA them.

XDanger
09-13-07, 05:13 PM
Another trick which I've used before to "fix" quirky power supplies is to get a screwdriver with a plastic handle and touch it to the contacts where the PSU power cable plugs in (on the outside\BACK of the PSU, with the cable unplugged). It'll discharge (might make a little crackle noise) and pretty much take the power out of the unit.

This has fixed several non-booting PCs I've worked on. :)
can you not just re-plug the plug, I always hear that crackle when I do that.