PDA

View Full Version : Is Hard Drive Temperature A Sign Of Impending Failure?

seeker
09-12-07, 09:31 AM
I have a couple of Maxtor SATA harddrives that have ran at normal temperatures in the past, but suddenly both of them started running hot (51C). I added a couple of coolers and they are in normal temps now, but I'm wondering just how much to trust them. The SMART values are all normal and it seems unlikely that both hard drives would heat up at exactly the same time, if this were a sign of wear. BTW, the temperature rise occurred at the same time that I changed motherboards, so it may have been either a sensing error, or something that the motherboard is causing. Any input?

JOPS
09-12-07, 12:54 PM
The answer is: Never ever trust a harddrive!

seeker
09-12-07, 12:59 PM
While I understand your meaning, it is necessary to trust hard drives up to a point. The question is whether this warrants removing the drives from use or not?

Another factor that i just came across, is that SpeedFan's reading of the SMART reading on both of the drives shows the offline correctability to be 243 (value) 1 (worst) 0 (warn). I'm still trying to assess exactly what this means.

jeffmd
09-12-07, 02:35 PM
if both of them have gone up in temp, then its not your hard drives. Prolly some change happened with your airflow.

SOAD
09-12-07, 05:44 PM
51 is hot??/

damn.

my Seagates run at that :S

seeker
09-12-07, 08:15 PM
51 is hot??/

damn.

my Seagates run at that :S
SpeedFan reports that as being hot, and it is much hotter than they did run, so if I were you, I would put some coolers on them.

seeker
09-12-07, 08:18 PM
if both of them have gone up in temp, then its not your hard drives. Prolly some change happened with your airflow.
I suppose that is possible, but I don't know how. The drive bay that they are in now is better vented than where they were before, and after the temps rose, I was much more careful about cable routings. The only thing left is the overall vent of the case, and I have found nothing wrong there either.

Gimlis
09-12-07, 09:09 PM
You should be able to find info on operating temps in the specs for you're drives whch should be available on the manufactures site.
so if 51c is withing the normal operating range you should be fine.

one of the things to consider is the ambient temp inside you're case and to expect the drives to be bit warmer.

seeker
09-12-07, 09:43 PM
The normal operating temperature for the drives is 5-55C, so 51 is far too close to the limit. I imagine that this is something like a CPU's temperature...even if within limits, every extra degree shortens the lifespan of the unit.

As it was before I added the coolers, these drives were the hottest things in the case...even hotter than the CPU.