PDA

View Full Version : SD Games

zoomy942
09-12-07, 03:49 PM
So, this may sound like a nutty idea, but...

Whats to stop me from snagging a few 2 gig sd cards, and installing games on them? My hp tablet tc4400 has an sd card slot on it, and i thought that maybe putting games on sd cards would be like old school nes games on cartridges.

think it would work?

spaceigg
09-12-07, 04:02 PM
what games?

zoomy942
09-12-07, 04:08 PM
the only games i play are Guild Wars, and a little bit of Star Wars republic commando.

|MaguS|
09-12-07, 05:10 PM
It would technically work, You will have the install like normal but the applications would fail to load without the SDCards. It would be just like installing an application or game on a secondary hard drive and then remove that drive...

zoomy942
09-12-07, 05:13 PM
hmm..... i wonder if it would be any faster. although, its not like guild wars is a slow loading game.

einstein_314
09-12-07, 05:51 PM
No, it would be horribly slow. Hard drives are considerably faster than flash memory. The access time on the flash drive is instantaneous.....but that shouldn't make any noticable difference in game performance...it's the sustained read speed that will kill your performance.

The max speed you can read/write to a SD card is somewhere around 25MB/s....that's less than half my hard drive read/write speed.

jeffmd
09-12-07, 07:07 PM
well, guildwars would work simply because its awsome about setting up reg keys and reinstalling itself if the main exe does not detect itself as being installed, however my guildwars is 3.4 gigs. ^^

some games are ok with not needing to be installed, other games require you to re do the whole shabang.

And the speed will be fast if you are using a fast sd card, some sd cards are fast, some are slow.

ragejg
09-12-07, 08:07 PM
Do you want to play these games on multiple machines?

I'd say you might be limited to older games such as the old C&C games.

zoomy942
09-12-07, 11:05 PM
i hadn't any real plans, just a pipe dream of mine:)

i might snag a 4 GB SD card just to try it out. its only $60.