PDA

View Full Version : 8800gts worth the money at 1280by1024 max res

stjuart
09-12-07, 11:32 PM
Thats the max resolution i can run on my lcd monitor. Also my current system is an opteron 175@2.4 with 2 gigs of g.skill ram and a x1900xt. What i want to know is will i see a big enough difference in games to warrant this purchase, or should i just wait and see what new gpu gets released in the next couple of months from nvidia.

SLippe
09-13-07, 03:31 AM
Buy it from eVGA and if they release the new card within 90 days you can do the Step-Up. ;)

Redeemed
09-13-07, 04:53 AM
That's kind of a hard call. I know for certain it should play every game out right now at that res with max in-game settings and a little bit of AA no problem. Even with your current CPU and RAM. But you might struggle with newer titles cause at that low a resolution your CPU will be doing a bit more compared to at higher resolutions. As such, you might be bottlenecked by your CPU.

You could buy the GTS now, and get a new CPU and RAM ASAP. At your resolution the GTS paired with a decently oc'd C2D would scream through any current and soon to be released game.

Kind of a tough call at this point. Especialy with talk of nVidia's next generation being released in November.

Madpistol
09-13-07, 08:19 AM
I'd say go for it. EVGA's Step up program is perfect as it should fall within 90 days of your purchase, so if they release a better card, pay the difference and get that new card.

stjuart
09-13-07, 11:08 AM
The problem is that monolith has a great deal on pny for 300 bucks brand new, but i cant do the step up if i buy it from him, but it is considerably cheaper. So will my frames be higher, lets get something out, I have very few fps problems with my current setup, so its only for future proofing. And i really dont plan on upgrading cpu and ram, since i just upgraded those 3 months ago.

Bah!
09-13-07, 11:41 AM
The problem is that monolith has a great deal on pny for 300 bucks brand new, but i cant do the step up if i buy it from him, but it is considerably cheaper. So will my frames be higher, lets get something out, I have very few fps problems with my current setup, so its only for future proofing. And i really dont plan on upgrading cpu and ram, since i just upgraded those 3 months ago.

You can get a GTS from Newegg for less than $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Monolyth
09-13-07, 12:02 PM
You can get a GTS from Newegg for less than $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

The 8800GTS I am selling is 640MB version. ;)

I do agree a lot with what folks have said concerning EVGA & Step-Up, that's a great thing to grab if you can and there's great support for it here on these forums. As Redeemed said a C2D would be ideal, of course that could be said for just about any setup, hehe. It's a tough call, if you are willing to spend little more now + in the future to Step-Up, I'd almost say do it, but you'll still be in the same boat CPU/Mobo/RAM-wise even if you got the next "GTS" from nVidia.

Poice.

stjuart
09-13-07, 12:12 PM
Thanks monolyth, Dilemmas, Dilemmas, i really dont need a new video card right at this moment but i feel that monolyth deal is to good of deal to pass up, but i do want warranty above all else. Cpu shouldn't be that bad becuase its dual core and if new games for example utilize 2 cores than that should hold me over for another 2 years, with upgrades only in video cards.

Redeemed
09-13-07, 02:00 PM
Thanks monolyth, Dilemmas, Dilemmas, i really dont need a new video card right at this moment but i feel that monolyth deal is to good of deal to pass up, but i do want warranty above all else. Cpu shouldn't be that bad becuase its dual core and if new games for example utilize 2 cores than that should hold me over for another 2 years, with upgrades only in video cards.

You're misunderstanding what we're saying. Where does the video card recieve its data? From the CPU. If you're CPU cannot feed the video card data fast enough- it becomes a major bottleneck. As is is- any K8 CPU is a bottleneck for the GeForce 8800s. You need atleast a low end Core2 Duo with a decent overclock to illiminate that bottleneck.

2 years from now... that'd be like trying to run an Athlon 750Mhz with dual 7900GTXs in SLi... you're CPU would be holding you video card back by such a great amount you might as well not even upgrade.

Honestly, if you can't afford a new CPU then don't get the card. Well, I guess you could buy his 8800GTS if you planned on keeping that specific card for about 2 years. That would probably be okay. But if you plan to get a new video card every year and not upgrade your CPU+mobo+RAM untill 2 years from now don't bother. You current CPU will be bottlenecking every card after the 8800. Essentially anything after the 8800 will bring you diminishing returns with your current CPU/MOBO/RAM- if you follow my drift.

SILVEREGTS
09-13-07, 03:25 PM
Thats the max resolution i can run on my lcd monitor. Also my current system is an opteron 175@2.4 with 2 gigs of g.skill ram and a x1900xt. What i want to know is will i see a big enough difference in games to warrant this purchase, or should i just wait and see what new gpu gets released in the next couple of months from nvidia.

What games do you play?

conroejoe
09-13-07, 05:40 PM

Yes, I like to stay with 1280x1024 so that I can use 4xaa/16af in every game.