PDA

View Full Version : Computer locking up and blue screens of death after using various power supplies!

Digital_Trans
09-13-07, 02:31 AM
Ever since I tryed using the ENERMAX Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU which was found to be defective the moment I got it from Newgg.com I've had problems with lockups on my computer and I've been getting a blue screen of death often. In the beginning of all this I had a bad SliverStone Strider ST1000 PSU which I sent off for RMA to SilverStone for replacment. All in all, I ended up buying the ENERMAX Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU which sucked because it never did work and I got my money back from Newegg.com During the transition of only being able to use a spare BFG 650 Watt PSU because I had to wait on my SilverStone ST1000 PSU to come back I really didn't have any problems other then having to boot my computer up a by pushing the power button on my case 3 times before I could even fully get a full bootup. Because I have the 8800 GTX, the poor BFG 650 could barley handle my hardware setup. Now that I've got my Silver Stone ST1000 PSU back and installed I'm having all kinds of problems with lock ups and blue screens of death. When the computer recovers from a crash I can see that windows reports hardware failure. I sure would like to know how to find the root of this problem. I'm hoping the defective ENERMAX Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU didn't cause any kind of damage to any of my hardware components. Because when I first booted it up I got nothing but a blue screen of death.

Also, there's an issue with Norton Anti-Virus x64 which I can't seem to figure out...Run the Norton Anti Virus (qdfsdrv.sys) tool to fix this problem. So I tryed looking for that and I've had no luck. Where can I find the following (qdfsdrv.sys) tool?

Digital_Trans
09-13-07, 07:39 AM
Okay, it could be a memory problem. I'm overclocked on my QX6800 at 3.21GHz and I don't have my memory timing set in the bios to where it should be. The memory is Corsair's Dominator Series which normally runs at a frequency of 1066MHz it's set at default to 800MHz. So far no lockups and no blue screens of death. Anytime I try to adjust the memory settings and timing to the proper suggested Corsair timing/settings/voltage I get lockups and the blue screens of death. Before I had power supply problems...I never had any problem setting the memory timing or memory voltage while overclocking my CPU. Now it's starting to make since. What kind of program can I use to detect bad memory on Windows Vista x64?

Digital_Trans
09-13-07, 08:12 AM
HAHAHAH......... I'm in safe mode now and I'm not having a lock up issue at all. I do know that my Windows Internet Explorer has crashed on me. I think it's Vista having issues. I'll try for to do a repair install or something to see if that works! I love talking to myself on here wow! :D

AthlonXP1800
09-13-07, 03:49 PM
Well I dont have qdfsdrv.sys on my Vista hard drive, what version of Norton Anti-Virus you got?

XDanger
09-13-07, 04:53 PM
HAHAHAH......... I'm in safe mode now and I'm not having a lock up issue at all. I do know that my Windows Internet Explorer has crashed on me. I think it's Vista having issues. I'll try for to do a repair install or something to see if that works! I love talking to myself on here wow! :D
As long as it gets the job done you cant really grumble can you

Digital_Trans
09-13-07, 05:41 PM
Well I dont have qdfsdrv.sys on my Vista hard drive, what version of Norton Anti-Virus you got?

Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.2.0.276 Full Vista x86 and x64 support! Also contains 10.1.5.500x and full Win'XP x86/x64 support! but MS Vista x64 doesn't like it and there's conflict issues and reports that I need the (qdfsdrv.sys) tool?
We're on a roll now so any help will be nice! Which version of Norton are you using? Also, I took out the Creative X-Fi sound card and hoping that's my problem of a hardware failure if any. Only time will tell.....Any and all advice is welcome so please comment!

AthlonXP1800
09-13-07, 06:15 PM
I am now downloading Vista x64 from Technet to install on Virtual PC as well as downloading Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.2.0.276 for testing to see if I can reproduce the same problem you experienced.

You said it contained version 10.1.5.500x, maybe this is the problem caused conflicted between 2 versions.

I used Norton Internet Security 2007 on 32bit Vista Ultimate.

Digital_Trans
09-14-07, 12:02 AM
I'm still getting lock-ups and hardware failure all the time. I think the Asus board is making problems. Tell me this, after I did a fresh install of Windows Vista x64 the system acted like it wanted to just set there and do nothing. Infact, it didn't even reboot when I clicked on the reboot tab. All I saw was a green light on the case staying on which is for power and the other light which is orange didn't appear plus the computer monitor went black. I have to keep working harder for reboots and my computer isn't getting any better unless I leave all the memory on auto along with the cpu at stock speed which is 2.93GHz I think it's the cpu and motherboard which I plan to RMA tomorrow.

AthlonXP1800
09-14-07, 12:54 AM
Tried flashed the latest BIOS?

I installed Vista x64 and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.2.0.276 on VMWare Workstation 6, ran both Windows Update and Symantec LiveUpdate to downloaded and installed all updates. Then I searched for qdfsdrv.sys file, it wasnt on virtual hard disk and there was no reported problems detected.

I researched about qdfsdrv.sys on internet, it said to be a file infected with virus hijacked PCs by internet pop ups and other methods.

Digital_Trans
09-14-07, 02:01 AM
Tried flashed the latest BIOS?

I installed Vista x64 and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.2.0.276 on VMWare Workstation 6, ran both Windows Update and Symantec LiveUpdate to downloaded and installed all updates. Then I searched for qdfsdrv.sys file, it wasnt on virtual hard disk and there was no reported problems detected.

I researched about qdfsdrv.sys on internet, it said to be a file infected with virus hijacked PCs by internet pop ups and other methods.

WOW!! You rock!! Thank you for doing the hardwork! I have the latest bios and that still didn't help
I'm still going to RMA the motherboard and cpu as these lockups still suck and it's driving me crazy! :rw:
I can't have performance issues right before UT3 and Crysis come out!

nekrosoft13
09-14-07, 06:31 AM
I am now downloading Vista x64 from Technet to install on Virtual PC as well as downloading Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.2.0.276 for testing to see if I can reproduce the same problem you experienced.

You said it contained version 10.1.5.500x, maybe this is the problem caused conflicted between 2 versions.

I used Norton Internet Security 2007 on 32bit Vista Ultimate.

you can't install 64bit OS in Virtual PC if you are running on 32bit system

Sycario
09-14-07, 07:30 AM
VMWare will let you do it.

AthlonXP1800
09-14-07, 02:20 PM
you can't install 64bit OS in Virtual PC if you are running on 32bit system

Yeah I noticed it when I tried to installed Vista x64 on Virtual PC, it not supported then I installed VMWare Workstation 6 and it installed fine.

DeusGear
09-14-07, 06:07 PM
QX6800 at 3.21GHz? That's terrible, I'm running my Q6600 at 3.6 ghz. You know BSODS can be caused by incorrect voltages of the vcore...

Digital_Trans
09-15-07, 01:07 AM
QX6800 at 3.21GHz? That's terrible, I'm running my Q6600 at 3.6 ghz. You know BSODS can be caused by incorrect voltages of the vcore...

What do you have you're Vcore voltage set at?

DeusGear
09-15-07, 02:50 PM
What do you have you're Vcore voltage set at?
In bios it's 1.485v (this is on air), and in windows with vdroop its reported as 1.4 (which the q6600 is stable at).

Digital_Trans
09-15-07, 04:38 PM
In bios it's 1.485v (this is on air), and in windows with vdroop its reported as 1.4 (which the q6600 is stable at).

What bios version are you using?

DeusGear
09-15-07, 04:53 PM
I have an Abit Ip-35 pro using bios 11.

Digital_Trans
09-16-07, 12:43 AM
I have an Abit Ip-35 pro using bios 11.

I'm getting another motherboard so I'll be okay! It sure sucks that I've got lock-ups! but I fixed my own problem now! :D