PDA

View Full Version : OC'ing the 4300

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

six_storm
09-13-07, 07:00 PM
Hello all. Just got my new rig up and I wanna see what this thing can do. I've fooled around with the BIOS setting and here's the highest I can do ATM:

FSB = 280
Multiplier =8
CPU = 2.2GHz

Anything above this and it won't boot/reset itself to default settings. Think I should bump the VCore a hair? Any help would be appreciated.

ViN86
09-13-07, 07:41 PM
Hello all. Just got my new rig up and I wanna see what this thing can do. I've fooled around with the BIOS setting and here's the highest I can do ATM:

FSB = 280
Multiplier =8
CPU = 2.2GHz

Anything above this and it won't boot/reset itself to default settings. Think I should bump the VCore a hair? Any help would be appreciated.
raise Vcore and post your temps. ;)

BirdDog Pilot
09-13-07, 07:45 PM
Running my 4300 @ 3.2 ghz. 400fsbx8 1.45v

+.2 to MCH
+.1 to FSB
+.2 to RAM

Ram @ 4-4-4-12 @ 800mhz 1:1

Temps are 38 under load.

You have to up your voltage to get this chip running faster imo.

six_storm
09-13-07, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll bump my voltage up and we'll see what happens.

six_storm
09-13-07, 08:18 PM
Ok, so I have CPU-Z and it is giving me false numbers. Unless it is at stock configs, it says 1200MHz for Core, 6x Multiplier and a bus speed of 200. WTF?

einstein_314
09-13-07, 08:23 PM
Ah, you have....speedstep enabled? When the CPU is idling it drops the multi to 6x to save power. As soon as you load it it will go back up to 9.

I built a rig for a friend with a 4300. With a small boost in VCore I was able to get it to 3.0GHz no sweat.

I was running it at 333 FSB x 9 multi. VCORE was up 1 or 2 options from default....can't remember exactly.

six_storm
09-13-07, 08:39 PM
Alright, I noticed that my machine was OC'ing at all. I up'd the voltage a little too much (1.450v) and got errors from Vista and Linux. At least I know where my limits are lol. Gonna try and work with the FSB and multi a little more.

six_storm
09-13-07, 09:39 PM
Alright, I'm letting my mobo select the voltage and things are going great! Here's what I tested:

Stock 9x200 = 1.8GHz @ 33C
Try 1 9x230 = 2.0GHz @ 37C
Try 2 9x250 = 2.2GHz @ 37C
Try 3 (Current) 9x280 = 2.5GHz @ 37C

I'm going to run Prime95 Torture Test for a little bit and see how it does. Thanks for the help guys!

Tr1cK
09-13-07, 10:28 PM
It will do 3.0 with minimal voltage increase. I haven't seen one that hasn't.
This might help:
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8285/clocktl5.jpg
http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/7413/memhy0.jpg

SILVEREGTS
09-13-07, 10:50 PM
Alright, I'm letting my mobo select the voltage and things are going great! Here's what I tested:

Thats not a very smart thing to do at all. In my past noob experience leaving the voltages on auto will cause the motherboard to apply much more voltage than necessary to certain components (particularly the cpu) I have witnessed first hand certain motherboards applying so much vcore to the cpu when left at auto setting during overclocking that it was to the point of being risky for the CPU.

Overclocking is not just something that you do in 5-10 minutes time. You need to take your time and manually set/tune all appropriate vcore settings on your board for maximum stability/safe temps.

When testing the CPU for stability using P95 you need to make sure you are stressing both cores and you need to run the Small FFT's test as its designed to stress your CPU the most.

If you can run for 6-8hrs with no errors like this then you can say that you have a 24/7 stable OC. Make sure to keep an eye on the temps while doing this as small FFT's will heat up the CPU in a hurry.

six_storm
09-13-07, 11:30 PM
Thats not a very smart thing to do at all. In my past noob experience leaving the voltages on auto will cause the motherboard to apply much more voltage than necessary to certain components (particularly the cpu) I have witnessed first hand certain motherboards applying so much vcore to the cpu when left at auto setting during overclocking that it was to the point of being risky for the CPU.

Overclocking is not just something that you do in 5-10 minutes time. You need to take your time and manually set/tune all appropriate vcore settings on your board for maximum stability/safe temps.

When testing the CPU for stability using P95 you need to make sure you are stressing both cores and you need to run the Small FFT's test as its designed to stress your CPU the most.

If you can run for 6-8hrs with no errors like this then you can say that you have a 24/7 stable OC. Make sure to keep an eye on the temps while doing this as small FFT's will heat up the CPU in a hurry.

I don't plan on doing a 100% OC on this thing; I'd actually like it to last a little while lol. I'm planning on staying at 2.5GHz because it's been pretty darn stable. I'm not going to extremes with this either, I just wanted a small boost and I've already achieved it. Looks like I'll leave Prime95 on overnight and see how it is in the morning. It did great for 2 hours, no errors.

SILVEREGTS
09-14-07, 12:02 AM
I don't plan on doing a 100% OC on this thing; I'd actually like it to last a little while lol. I'm planning on staying at 2.5GHz because it's been pretty darn stable. I'm not going to extremes with this either, I just wanted a small boost and I've already achieved it. Looks like I'll leave Prime95 on overnight and see how it is in the morning. It did great for 2 hours, no errors.

Well to be honest bro as long as you are not going to far outside the realm of stock vcore that chip will last you much longer than you will ever actually own it.

At any rate if your happy with 2.5ghz then thats all that matters. You said you ran P95 for a couple of hours, you are stressing the CPU with Small FFT's right?

BirdDog Pilot
09-14-07, 12:03 AM
Ohh come on! This will easily do 3gz! Try you FSB at 375 and your multiplier set to 8. Run you ram at 1:1 at 800mhz. It will be a thing of beauty.

SILVEREGTS
09-14-07, 12:25 AM
Ohh come on! This will easily do 3gz! Try you FSB at 375 and your multiplier set to 8. Run you ram at 1:1 at 800mhz. It will be a thing of beauty.

I agree as well that he should shoot for 3ghz as its really easy with the E4300. The only thing I see wrong however in your advice to him is that a 375fsb using an 8X multi with a 1:1 ratio will put his ram at 750mhz, not 800mhz.

Either way he will be faster than at 2.5ghz.

BirdDog Pilot
09-14-07, 12:30 AM
Very good point, I stand corrected. Too late and I wills top giving advice LOL

SILVEREGTS
09-14-07, 12:32 AM
Very good point, I stand corrected. Too late and I wills top giving advice LOL

Dude your advice is always welcome and you gave him good advice ;) I just cant help but to notice things sometimes and I should probably just keep my mouth shut. LOL

six_storm
09-14-07, 07:37 AM
I thought about going to 3GHz, but would I really notice the speed from 2.5GHz? Would I really want to risk that? I've always just given my PCs a small kick boost and never a huge OC. Also, I've never OC'd the RAM. Would it really be worth it right now?

Tr1cK
09-14-07, 08:44 AM
Dude, I posted the screens. Just run it already lol.

As long as you don't go too far outside the realm of voltage and temperature, and as long as you have quality components such as cooling, motherboard, and power supply, the chip will last as long at 3.0 as it will at 1.8.

six_storm
09-14-07, 09:38 AM
Dude, I posted the screens. Just run it already lol.

As long as you don't go too far outside the realm of voltage and temperature, and as long as you have quality components such as cooling, motherboard, and power supply, the chip will last as long at 3.0 as it will at 1.8.

LOL alrighty. I'll give it a shot this afternoon and see how it does.

I forgot to post results of CSS stress test:

Stock 144FPS
@2.5GHz 157FPS

I'll have to boost everything up and see how it runs. Thanks trick!

SILVEREGTS
09-14-07, 10:03 AM
I thought about going to 3GHz, but would I really notice the speed from 2.5GHz?

If you ever get an 8800GTX or even a GTS then yes, you will notice it in gaming as it takes about 3ghz on a core 2 duo to rid the bottleneck on those monster GPU's.

Would I really want to risk that?

As I explained to you already as long as you dont venture to high with the Vcore and watch your temps you will be fine for as long as you own that chip.

Also, I've never OC'd the RAM. Would it really be worth it right now?

Same rule applies to the ram that applies to the CPU, watch your voltage and temps.

SILVEREGTS
09-14-07, 10:05 AM
my stock is at 2.0ghz... framerates in dirt around 20-50fps.

@3.2ghz... framerates never goes below 40fps. average of 50-60fps, max @90fps :)

See this is a prime example right here of how much an 8800GTS can become bottlenecked unless you have a nice 3+ghz OC on your core 2 duo;)

SILVEREGTS
09-14-07, 10:07 AM
LOL alrighty.

What is your stock ram speed? did you get ddr2 667mhz ram?

Tr1cK
09-14-07, 10:11 AM
FWIW, I never overclock my RAM because I just find it to be a pain in the dick. I always overclock my CPU and video card, but not too the limits. I find a sweet spot and leave it for life. I actually had my CPU running windows at 3.5, but I don't want to spend the time ****in with it to make it 100% stable.

SILVEREGTS
09-14-07, 10:19 AM
FWIW, I never overclock my RAM because I just find it to be a pain in the dick. I always overclock my CPU and video card, but not too the limits. I find a sweet spot and leave it for life. I actually had my CPU running windows at 3.5, but I don't want to spend the time ****in with it to make it 100% stable.

Overclocking the ram makes very very little difference in gaming anyway. However, I am a hard core tuner.......I love to spend a couple of days getting my ram overclocked a bit and then tighten down the timings as much as possible while maintaining stability.

Cpu is the same way, I spent a solid day getting my new Q6600 stable at 3.5ghz with just the right amount of Vcore while watching the temps like a hawk! lol.

six_storm
09-14-07, 10:19 AM
What is your stock ram speed? did you get ddr2 667mhz ram?

Here is my RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590&Tpk=TWIN2X2048-6400

My RAM timing is 5-5-5-12 right now. I'm at school and won't be home till this afternoon to try anything. Like I said in my other thread, I'm going to wait and see when the 9-series debuts and see if any of the 8-series cards drop in price. I'm broke!!! :D

I'll sit down this afternoon, take my time and try to push for 3.0GHz. It's my birthday today so my fiancee and family will be over to the house lol.