PDA

View Full Version : Just got the Thermalright HR-03 Plus

Eliminator
09-14-07, 11:14 AM
bought this to fit it on my overheating 8800GTX

installation took about 3 hours total... it was such a pain to clean the chips... i used the standard installation of the heatsink pointing down
- fan is arctic cooling 92mm (34CFM)
- thermal paste is arctic silver 3

temps (24/7 clocks @ 600/1950):
idle:
Nvidia default speed (60%): 76*C
Nvidia speed 100%: 68*C
HR-03 Plus: 59*C

load (rthdribl):
Nvidia default speed (60%): 99*C
Nvidia speed 100%: 85*C
HR-03 Plus: 75*C

- the noise is about the same as the nvidia stock fan at 60%
- no gain in overclocking
- used to run 630/2100 but lately it would lock up and the HR-03 did not help at all
- i did not run into any trouble with the termal tape on the ram sinks

the good:
- keeps the 8800GTX much cooler than the stock HSF
- no longer have to use rivatuner to force 100% fan speed every time i want to play a game
- about as loud as the stock fan at 60%

the bad:
- expensive $77 for the heatsink+fan+usb-ethernet adapter (need the adapter since i had to take out my network card)
- no gain in overclocking

CaptNKILL
09-14-07, 11:56 AM
woa... you had a network card?

Why? :p

I haven't seen a PC with one of those in like 5 years. :p

ATOJAR
09-14-07, 12:00 PM
Took you 3 hours? i had my card cleaned, HR-03 Plus on and back in the system withing a hour! ..... those temps still seem pretty high to me! what thermal cream did you use? what fan have you got on? .... i have my card clocked at 626MHz clock core, 1458MHz shader clock & 1.9GHz on the memory and my card idles at 48c - 50c (depending on room temps) .... under load(atitool stress tester) my card has never passed 65c!

spajdr
09-14-07, 12:02 PM
Took you 3 hours? i had my card cleaned, HR-03 Plus on and back in the system withing a hour! ..... those temps still seem pretty high to me! what thermal cream did you use? what fan have you got on? .... i have my card clocked at 626MHz clock core, 1458MHz shader clock & 1.8GHz on the memory and my card idles at 48c - 50c (depending on room temps) .... under load(atitool stress tester) my card has never passed 65c!

Nice temps, you got heatsink pointing down or up?

ATOJAR
09-14-07, 12:04 PM
I have my HR-03 Plus on the underside, i would rather it this way ... helps blow air onto the under side ramsinks & other components, keeps them that little bit cooler! ... ive also had a 120mm fan on there but that made no difference to temps at all so i went back to my 92mm Vantec ThermoFlow!

agentkay
09-14-07, 12:32 PM
Ive got a huge gain in overclocking with the HR03+. Before I wasnt perfectly stable at 605/2010 and with the HR03+ Im stable with 660/2050 unless its a hot day. My load temperatures at that o/c are around 68C and I used AS5 on the core. Im using 2 slow spinning 120mm fans.

Eliminator
09-14-07, 01:48 PM
Took you 3 hours? i had my card cleaned, HR-03 Plus on and back in the system withing a hour! ..... those temps still seem pretty high to me! what thermal cream did you use? what fan have you got on? .... i have my card clocked at 626MHz clock core, 1458MHz shader clock & 1.8GHz on the memory and my card idles at 48c - 50c (depending on room temps) .... under load(atitool stress tester) my card has never passed 65c!
well i took my time wanted to make sure i dont screw up such an expensive card... thermal paste is arctic silver 3 and fan is arctic cooling 92mm (34CFM) as ive said before in the original post.. also remember that this is a GTX so it heats up more than your GTS

ATOJAR
09-14-07, 02:28 PM
What it runs 11c higher on a lower overclock? I dont own a GTX so i guess i wouldent know but 11c hotter on a lower overclock dont add up! ... maby im wrong .......

Another thing, the low CFM of that fan wont help my fan is 58.5CFM and i can still hardly hear it, i also used AS5 thermal compound. .... Im not having a dig at you bud just telling you afew pointers .... just trying to help :)

mcbacker
09-14-07, 02:33 PM
Found my old thread about HR-03...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91785

MC

Eliminator
09-14-07, 03:00 PM
What it runs 11c higher on a lower overclock? I dont own a GTX so i guess i wouldent know but 11c hotter on a lower overclock dont add up! ... maby im wrong .......

Another thing, the low CFM of that fan wont help my card is 58.5CFM and i can still hardly hear it, i also used AS5 thermal compound. .... Im not having a dig at you bud just telling you afew pointers .... just trying to help :)
well i guess a GTX would run hotter since it has 128 shader processors running not 96... im not sure why mine is running hotter than usual and what i can do about it... i used a rather thin layer of arctic silver on both the GPU and the heatsink base since i was running out but it did cover the entire gpu and base... perhaps i need more paste?

ATOJAR
09-14-07, 03:11 PM
I dought you would need more compound if you covered the full chip, all you need is a very thin layer, i used a blob of compound about the size of a grain of rice and just spread it over the full chip, i didnt even apply any to the heatsink its self .... maby you have to much on! ... maby a higher CFM fan would help also!

mcbacker has a GTX he gets IDLE - 49C, FULL - 58C .... thats cooler than my GTS under load!

Eliminator
09-14-07, 04:09 PM
I dought you would need more compound if you covered the full chip, all you need is a very thin layer, i used a blob of compound about the size of a grain of rice and just spread it over the full chip, i didnt even apply any to the heatsink its self .... maby you have to much on! ... maby a higher CFM fan would help also!

mcbacker has a GTX he gets IDLE - 49C, FULL - 58C .... thats cooler than my GTS under load!
yea i just put a very thin layer like i normally do... the instructions said to cover both the heatsink and GPU which is what i did... a higher CFM fan would help but i cant stand the noise so im sticking with this fan... between the fan and my sound card is about 1 slot of space which isnt much... either way 75*C under max load is a decent temperature... much better than 99*C thats for sure so i cant complain...

Eliminator
09-14-07, 08:54 PM
well i just checked with someone else who has a 8800GTX and a HR-03 and under rthdribl he was also getting about 75*C so i guess nothing is wrong with my setup

SH0DAN
09-18-07, 02:11 AM
Took you 3 hours? i had my card cleaned, HR-03 Plus on and back in the system withing a hour! ..... those temps still seem pretty high to me!

Ditto,and ditto.It took me near 80 minutes,taking my time,to unmount,clean everything off,and re mount with the HR-03+,and fresh diamond TIM.

Temps went up,but then only a little,and also I am running it passive with a light oc.