PDA

View Full Version : A question to SAS advocates.

Monolyth
09-14-07, 11:52 AM
I've decided that Raptors just don't have enuff of tEH RPMZ! hehe, so anyway I'm looking at going to SAS for my next system.

I read another topic that mentioned the HP SmartArray + their 10K RPM drives as being a solid performer, but my problem with HP is that they don't have Vista x64 drivers.

I've found that LSI supposedly has good Vista support in their drivers so I've chosen this controller as a possibility:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16816118054

And then I am also looking at the Cheetah 15K.5 74GB series SAS drives for this kind of setup:
1x74GB for OS Partition (C) & Program Partition (D)
2x74GB RAID-0 for Games (E)

And I can hear it now, RAID 0 does nothing, but I will also probably be doing a bit of video editing on those drives as well, so it will help out in some cases.

Anyways, let me know what you SAS guys think, thanks.

retsam
09-14-07, 12:24 PM
sas is great, if you job is on the line and you need dependable hardware but the price for performance just isnt there. also, do you know how loud those drivers are? just put it this way they are liike little jet engines. i would go with a sata raid controller with cache memory on board, think of it this way, four drives in raid 0 will give you just as much horse power for less money.also, when the drives fail its very easy to replace where as a sas drive is going to take a few day at least to get a replacement.