PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 360

Pages : [1] 2 3

penitent_one
09-14-07, 04:50 PM
Yet another took a dive on me, this time though it's the optical drive.

So rather than send this one in for repair/replacement I am giving up on the whole thing entirely. This is the 6th one to die on me and as fun as the games are...well at least the other systems work.

I have to give Nintendo perks because apparently the failure mine had is extremely rare and they are sending me a new game since I didn't like the refurb that I had.

Ugh

Just ugh.

nVJoe
09-14-07, 05:00 PM
You clueless idgits have to stop stuffing your 360s in a bun-warmer. Duh!

:D

Get a PS3. At least that paper weight can play hi-def movies.

Tr1cK
09-14-07, 05:00 PM
Damn dude, you even killed a Wii? Stay away from my hardware.

penitent_one
09-14-07, 05:27 PM
Damn dude, you even killed a Wii? Stay away from my hardware.

What's ironic is that I'm very particular about how warm my living room gets, how the electrical wiring is done in the house (ie properly grounded, etc) and the placement of the equipment. Never had these types of issues before and I even make sure there's good heat convection away from the equipment. PS3 has been put in the poorest location of the 3 consoles for heat convection and it handles like a champ. Problem with the 360 wasn't even heat related this time, they just put crap optical drives into their systems. The Wii problem was related to the fact that Wiiconnect24 overheats the system by powering up the CPU and no fans turn on to cool it.

penitent_one
09-14-07, 06:18 PM
There have been a few others on this forum that had problems with their Wiis. I think the main thing was video artifacting that just progressively got worse. I don't know anyone locally that has had the issue though.

If he manages to kill a PS3, then I'd be concerned that he's got some bad Karma.

To my understanding the PCB overheats and the video output suffers as a result of leads not conducting properly.

So it will function, just...poorly with artifacting getting worse over time.

lIqUID
09-14-07, 06:23 PM
My brother in law just got one from MS, his other died after about 6 months of play. The one he received today is dated August 23 2007, so its a brand new system.

If they came up this good on all returns then it would be a sweet deal witht he new warranty extension.

He even said the thing smelled new, now who the hell goes sniffing electronics?

Severian126
09-14-07, 06:29 PM

When I first got my Alienware I opened the case and sniffed the thing until my nose bled.

Tork64
09-14-07, 07:50 PM
Some people have the worst luck, my XBOX 360 has a manufactured date of 12-28-2005 and has yet seen any problems. I just dont get how someone can have that kind of luck to go through six damn consoles, I know the xbox 360 is far from perfect but thats just crazy.

crainger
09-14-07, 08:05 PM
My brother in law just got one from MS, his other died after about 6 months of play. The one he received today is dated August 23 2007, so its a brand new system.

If they came up this good on all returns then it would be a sweet deal witht he new warranty extension.

I sniff all my new hardwares and gadgets. They all smell similar, but slightly different. Kinda makes me feel cultured, like a wine taster/wanker.

KasuCode
09-14-07, 08:37 PM
Crainger likes the wanker!

Blackcat
09-14-07, 08:59 PM

Its not new, its a re-stickered refab. I had to send mine back last month too and I got one stickered the same day as your brother. It most likely has the new heatsink which hopefully helps the heat issue, mine has it. Microsoft does a good job cleaning them up so they look new and with the new heatsink hopefully last a little longer. I found out all about this new restickering process Microsoft does as I was studying up on the return process on the xbox website. I was hoping to get a new one too with the hdmi hookup but my refurb is much quieter than my old one, and running well so I am happy.

NaitoSan
09-14-07, 09:45 PM
I sniff all my new hardwares and gadgets. They all smell similar, but slightly different. Kinda makes me feel cultured, like a wine taster/wanker.
LOL!!! this is my new sig!

gravioli
09-14-07, 11:04 PM
The problem with the 360 is that there are just too many good games, demos, and live arcade titles to play on it. :) My console never gets a break.

I know two people with 360s and one has a launch console and the other bought his a few months after release. Neither of them have had issues, but I am on my third console. Some people (me) have bad luck I guess.

KasuCode
09-14-07, 11:48 PM
I have had mine from launch and ive seen red lights (3 times or so)after power would go out or but it still works like a champ as soon as I restart it. I really hope mine last but if it does decide to break then whatever ill RMA it and get a elite.

pkirby11
09-15-07, 01:29 AM
You know what, if I read another damn fricken "WAHHH MY 360 BROKE!!!!!11" thread I'm going to puke! :D Seriously give it up people, yes we get it it sucks! You don't need to tell us every damn time it's broken, if you don't like it get rid of it, if you do then get another. It's that simple, maybe if enough of you whiners quits whining and stops buying the X360 and games MS will fix it but all your whining does it make my eyes bleed and MS doesn't care cause they still make money.

Please, please, please, please stop all this whining. I know it's frustrating, I've been there and who knows mine might break some day. I gaurantee you won't here me bitch and moan.

MowTin
09-15-07, 01:35 AM
I recently bought an Elite. Do they have the same issue?

I've heard of too many people who have had 4 or 5 returns. I would guess the short term failure rate is 60%. The long term failure rate 4+ years is probably 90%.

Even if the failure rate were 30% it would be considered a titanic debacle by electronic hardware standards.

On the other hand, people must really love their 360's if they're going through this 4 and sometimes 5 times. After 3 I would be done with it. I HATE mailing things.

kev13dd
09-15-07, 01:49 AM
You know what, if I read another damn fricken "WAHHH MY 360 BROKE!!!!!11" thread I'm going to puke! :D Seriously give it up people, yes we get it it sucks! You don't need to tell us every damn time it's broken, if you don't like it get rid of it, if you do then get another. It's that simple, maybe if enough of you whiners quits whining and stops buying the X360 and games MS will fix it but all your whining does it make my eyes bleed and MS doesn't care cause they still make money.

Please, please, please, please stop all this whining. I know it's frustrating, I've been there and who knows mine might break some day. I gaurantee you won't here me bitch and moan.
I agree

I dunno what people expect when they post the same old "my X360 broke" thread that we've seen 100 times, nor am I able to comprehend why we are supposed to care that they've given up on the console that they'll get a free repair on...

K

Mr_LoL
09-15-07, 01:56 AM
Lies. Its all lies.

NaitoSan
09-15-07, 02:19 AM
Yeah there's many threads about dead 360s. I don't see the point of creating other one here... do OP expect us to pity them or what? We're more than aware of 360's problem. I love my 360 but I'm starting to see a bit weird glitch with artifacts so I decided to file a claim at BestBuy website and mailed my 360 (with my brother's dead HD :D) and wait like 1 week to get voucher so I can get brand new, latest model at local BestBuy. I didn't want to deal with Microsoft's repairement/whatever service, that's why I bought BestBuy Product Replacement Plan with it (only $39 for two years). It's nice that I can get brand new model than refurbrished ones. :)

pkirby11
09-15-07, 11:55 AM
Yeah there's many threads about dead 360s. I don't see the point of creating other one here... do OP expect us to pity them or what? We're more than aware of 360's problem. I love my 360 but I'm starting to see a bit weird glitch with artifacts so I decided to file a claim at BestBuy website and mailed my 360 (with my brother's dead HD :D) and wait like 1 week to get voucher so I can get brand new, latest model at local BestBuy. I didn't want to deal with Microsoft's repairement/whatever service, that's why I bought BestBuy Product Replacement Plan with it (only $39 for two years). It's nice that I can get brand new model than refurbrished ones. :)

See that's exactly why I bought my PS3 and X360 from Best Buy. Those replacement are a lot of times rip off's but on more expensive items or on a console you know have a very good chance to break (X360) those replacmement plans rock! I know if mine breaks at least for the first two years I just go to Best Buy and they replace it. :D

Seriously though, I was tired when I post that so hope I wasn't to harsh. I understand everyones frustration. The system obviously has a problem and we all are aware of it but we don't need to be reminded daily of it. :D Seriously if you don't like it either don't buy/repair your broken one, how ever MS is aware and hopefully soon this problem will be a thing of the past. If not then either we will all get fed up and never by anoth MS console or we'll just have to deal with it. The whining and complaining here never does any good, just makes me eyes bleed! :D

penitent_one
09-15-07, 06:37 PM
I agree

I dunno what people expect when they post the same old "my X360 broke" thread that we've seen 100 times, nor am I able to comprehend why we are supposed to care that they've given up on the console that they'll get a free repair on...

K

You guys are probably right, it's really just a matter of venting, but that belies the question...if you're so sick of it..why do you feel compelled to click the link into the thread?

On another note, "free repair" and all is really untrue. It takes time to send the system in, they just started giving subscription cards for a month to people getting their "repairs" back. When in reality you've still got no game for up to a month. I'd just as soon have a functioning system than be privileged enough to get a free repair on something that shouldn't have failed in the first place. This puts the 360 as the most unreliable piece of electronic equipment I've ever owned.

I really enjoyed the games, really. They were great fun and a good investment. But compound the 360's unreliability with the high noise level for the cooling and I didn't feel like I was getting a very good deal. I purchased The Darkness for the PS3 so I could simply enjoy the sound of the game and not the sound of the cooling fan. Jaggies and all, low noise and reliability of the PS3 was a better deal for me.

pkirby11
09-15-07, 07:19 PM
You guys are probably right, it's really just a matter of venting, but that belies the question...if you're so sick of it..why do you feel compelled to click the link into the thread?

On another note, "free repair" and all is really untrue. It takes time to send the system in, they just started giving subscription cards for a month to people getting their "repairs" back. When in reality you've still got no game for up to a month. I'd just as soon have a functioning system than be privileged enough to get a free repair on something that shouldn't have failed in the first place. This puts the 360 as the most unreliable piece of electronic equipment I've ever owned.

I really enjoyed the games, really. They were great fun and a good investment. But compound the 360's unreliability with the high noise level for the cooling and I didn't feel like I was getting a very good deal. I purchased The Darkness for the PS3 so I could simply enjoy the sound of the game and not the sound of the cooling fan. Jaggies and all, low noise and reliability of the PS3 was a better deal for me.

I understand the venting thing, just tired of it sometimes. :D But it's cool, how ever yes the system shouldn't fail how ever it is nice that the repair is free. PS3 hasn't been out long enough for their to be any complaints but it does seem to be a solid system. How ever, are you serious about the no noise or fans?!?!? My PS3 is as loud or louder than my X360 and they are both out in the open. :D

penitent_one
09-15-07, 07:31 PM
I understand the venting thing, just tired of it sometimes. :D But it's cool, how ever yes the system shouldn't fail how ever it is nice that the repair is free. PS3 hasn't been out long enough for their to be any complaints but it does seem to be a solid system. How ever, are you serious about the no noise or fans?!?!? My PS3 is as loud or louder than my X360 and they are both out in the open. :D

Well it definitely has fans, it just seems about half the noise level of the 360. Makes me wonder if you got a bad PS3. I've never known them to be loud.

kev13dd
09-15-07, 07:44 PM

90% of the X360's noise is the disc drive. The fan is barely noticeable as far as I know. Heck, I say the X360 should have had more fans added

It's not a matter of "why click the link of the thread" thing. It's a "sick of having to see all the threads when we try and browse the console section" thing. I barely ever click into them, but when I'm looking over the console section and have to see 5 of them on the front page, they detract from the rest of the threads

I do agree about it being the most unreliable electronic I've ever had. I thought as technology advanced so would reliability, but eh- I bought the X360 when I knew about the problems. 3rd console already but I've got enough enjoyment out of it to send it back in as many times as I have to

K

crainger
09-15-07, 09:00 PM
I wish it was just the disc drive that was noisy. Believe me, my 360 has some noisy fans, in both the console itself and it's power brick. :(

Watching a HD DVD, with no disc in the main drive the unit is still very loud, easily heard over all but the loudest action flicks.