PDA

View Full Version : 360 vs PS3 [[not a WAR thread pls]]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Technoholic
09-14-07, 05:33 PM
PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A WAR, FLAMING THREAD OR WHATEVER HAPPENS.

I want to see which 360 or PS3 is really worth it to get right now. But I saw, recently in other thread, that PS3 price drop is pretty definite, but WHEN is the question.

I want to see positives and negatives side from both consoles.

I have a friend who owned PS3 and he decided to sell PS3 due to lack of variety of good games while 360 has better games.

Is that true? I mean, I want to make sure my $500 is worth a purchase.

XBOX360 plays the game in High Definition mode, but it does not have blu-ray or HD drive, but add-on. And PS3 has built in Blu-Ray. That's positive/negative thing for both.

So which one is worth to get?

ralinn
09-14-07, 05:34 PM
No good will come of this.

It begins...

Technoholic
09-14-07, 05:35 PM
I mean like CONS AND PROS in between.

Bman212121
09-14-07, 05:38 PM
No good will come of this.

It begins...

QFT.

I'd just read this thread right here since this question was asked a week or so ago. It made it a few pages before it went into the gutter.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97315

Severian126
09-14-07, 05:45 PM
The 360 is the tool of the devil.

The PS3 is a useless coaster that happens to play Blu-Ray.

PC sucks.

Wii charges you for /wrist action when it should be free.

Let the flames begin!

nVJoe
09-14-07, 05:49 PM
This thread has been consolized.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27827&d=1189799363

|MaguS|
09-14-07, 05:53 PM
You can't discuss the pro's and con's of the systems without it becoming a fanboy flamefest. Admin should close this thread before it gets ugly.

Technoholic
09-14-07, 05:54 PM
Yeah, thanks a lot for not helping me decide.

Severian126
09-14-07, 05:59 PM
Yeah, thanks a lot for not helping me decide.

Regardless of what we all have to say, it'll end up with the same old, conclusion:

Look at the games, see which ones you like, and decide. As for pros and cons, they're everwhere in this section, and someone posted up a linky. :)

NaitoSan
09-14-07, 05:59 PM
I'd suggest you get 360 instead of PS3. I have both (points to my sig) and so far, 360 offers far more than what PS3 offers right now. You can always get PS3 later.

360 has LIVE with alot of contents, free demos, etc. Already large library of games, HDDVD addon, etc.

PS3 has blu-ray, weak PSN, few good titles with more on the way, but can play PS2, PS1 titles, works with PSP.

Technoholic
09-14-07, 06:01 PM
But my brother has the 360. He said we could trade it for few times. In other words, I could buy BluRay DVD weekly. That's what benefits me, right? The pure HD movies?

Arioch
09-14-07, 06:05 PM
In terms of what it can do for me the Xbox 360 is better for gaming right now as the number of games and quality of games overall are better right now. I do like the overall hardware of the PS3 and I use it as a cheap Blu-ray player. The failure rates on the 360 are pretty bad but one person may be on a launch system while others are on their 3rd or higher system.

To me the bottom line is if you are looking at it strictly in terms of gaming I would get a 360, specifiically the Elite version as it will probably hold up better than a standard unit. If you are heavy into HD movies the Blu-ray library is a bit stronger to me in terms of action movies than HD-DVD so that would be a good option.

nightmare beta
09-14-07, 06:07 PM
I'm going to try to make some good of this.

I'm not going to start a war.

The Xbox 360, IMO has far fewer advantages, especially since the ps3's price is probably going to drop.

here's the weaknesses of the x360:
x360: it currently has more games, currently it gets most multiplatform games before the ps3, includes hardware scaling, and it's easier to program for and more efficient, but has a less powerful architecture.
and now ps3's advantages:
ps3: currently the only one that uses hard drive for loading (other than the late 1st xbox), games can be longer, fmv can potentially look superior, games can potentially have uncompressed music, voice and sound fx due to the superior medium-size, cpu more powerful, gpu uses fp16 filtered and blended mrts and is potentially faster overall, just less efficient than the x360's gpu (PS3 uses a geforce 7), pretty much a 0% defect rate, i.e. more reliable, i.e., perfectly reliable, AA capabilities are superior to x360 if it has all of the trss modes of the geforce 7 series (notice grass often has a lot of aliasing on x360games, DOA4 in particular, and other textures on x360 games shimmer.) ps3 games textures won't shimmer if unoptimised trilinear filtering w/o aniso filtering is used.

Severian126
09-14-07, 06:14 PM
I'll break this down into several gamer categories, and maybe it'll help you:

IF YOU'RE A....................

....person looking just to play games. Get a 360. I won't argue why or what, since everyone has already explained why.

....person looking for the most technologically advanced system with the most potential, get a PS3.

....looking for a multi-media player with HD movies playback, definitely a PS3. Of course the 360 has an HD DVD addon, but for out of the package and ready to go type of people, a PS3 won't be beaten there.

....person looking to play your huge collection from your previous system. You own a PS2 and want to get rid of it but keep the games? Definitely a PS3. Xbox owner with tons of game? 360, to a degree, since the support from what I see isn't as great.

....person who loves online funcionality, ease of use, and multiplayer games.....360, even though you do have to pay a monthly fee for Live.

I personally don't believe one system is better than the other overall in every aspect. Of course, if you've read some of my other posts, I tend to sway towards the 360 because I fall into the first category. I'm just here for the games. :) As soon as PS3 catches up, I'm picking one up.

Peoples-Agent
09-14-07, 06:52 PM
Right now you would be foolish to not go for a 360. As a gaming machine it is simply superior right now. Most of the multi platform games run better on the 360 so far, and I have a strong suspicion that trend may continue on any games that aren't effected by media storage limitations of DVD9.

...But...

I have a strong suspicion that the PS3 will flourish once it gets a decent catalogue of exclusives together and improves it's online functions.

If you want a games console right now, go for the 360 for a fix.

If your willing to wait until the middle of next year though, we should hopefully see what the PS3 can actually do with games optimised for its hardware.

Subtestube
09-14-07, 07:03 PM
Honestly if I were you, I'd wait for the PS3 price drop and then re-evaluate. I think there's a real (although small) possibility MS might drop the price on the 360 again once the PS3 drops in price, and also by then, most of the Holiday blockbusters will [probably] actually be out, and you'll have a better guage on comparative games quality. In addition, there's a real chance we'll be seeing newer 360s on the market with HDMI, and possibly newer die shrunk CPUs and perhaps (if you're really lucky) even GPUs.

Basically, I reckon if you're willing to wait until the PS3 price drop to buy a PS3, I think you should probably wait until then to make a decision about your choice of purchase, as the market may well have changed by then. I could also be being pessimistic, but I'd expect that price drop as a holiday thing - it'll either happen to coincide with Halo 3 (which I doubt), or not before the middle/end of October.

Also - a little bit of misinformation in nightmare's 'technical advantages showcase' - The 360 can use the HDD to assist in loading IIRC, it just can't require it. I.e. - your game is permitted to use the Hard Drive if it's there, but it must also work without it. I also find the assertions that the PS3 has a flatout more efficient GPU than the 360 to be pretty dubious.

nightmare beta
09-14-07, 07:24 PM
Honestly if I were you, I'd wait for the PS3 price drop and then re-evaluate. I think there's a real (although small) possibility MS might drop the price on the 360 again once the PS3 drops in price, and also by then, most of the Holiday blockbusters will [probably] actually be out, and you'll have a better guage on comparative games quality. In addition, there's a real chance we'll be seeing newer 360s on the market with HDMI, and possibly newer die shrunk CPUs and perhaps (if you're really lucky) even GPUs.

Basically, I reckon if you're willing to wait until the PS3 price drop to buy a PS3, I think you should probably wait until then to make a decision about your choice of purchase, as the market may well have changed by then. I could also be being pessimistic, but I'd expect that price drop as a holiday thing - it'll either happen to coincide with Halo 3 (which I doubt), or not before the middle/end of October.

Also - a little bit of misinformation in nightmare's 'technical advantages showcase' - The 360 can use the HDD to assist in loading IIRC, it just can't require it. I.e. - your game is permitted to use the Hard Drive if it's there, but it must also work without it. I also find the assertions that the PS3 has a flatout more efficient GPU than the 360 to be pretty dubious.

I thought I said that the x360 has a more effcient gpu, but a less powerful one.

I guess I made an error.

NaitoSan
09-14-07, 08:01 PM
Magus and I have 360s as well, and we're both considered PS3 fanboys. Both consoles offer alot. Even among people who have both consoles, you'll see a huge rift between who prefers what. There is enough info out there that you can make a decision. That's why most of us see threads like this turning into flamewars, because we'll disagree on which console offers what better.

I'd say my primary suggestion is this: If you want to play Halo 3, Bioshock, or Gears of War, get a 360. Bioshock is the only reason I have a 360, and it was a damn good one.
I <3 PS3 but for him, 360 may offer more for him than PS3 does atm.

It's hard to say which format's going to win, blu-ray or hd-dvd. both are great formats and hd-dvd's getting 51gb of storage soon... so we'll see beside Microsoft DID said they'll adopt blu-ray if needed. Beside you can use hd-dvd drive on pc. :)

LycosV
09-15-07, 01:21 AM
I think that if you're getting it for gaming, go for the 360. I think that the multiplatform games are going to look almost identical on both systems because developers are lazy and they're just going to port the same copy to both systems.

On the blue-ray/HD debate: we really don't have any idea which one will win at this point. I read that the they sold more normal DVD copies of Happy Feet than ALL of the HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies sold up till that point. The numbers just aren't there yet to declare a winner and I don't think they will be for at least a couple years.

Apollo 13
09-15-07, 03:23 AM
Im not a fanboy of any console Im just a gamer, but I will say this If I had to sell my PS3 or 360.....the 360 would go firsts. I can play mosts of the games that come out on my PC and the damn thing broke on me 4 times already. I had 2 faulty DVD drives and 2 rings of death. My DVD drive is already acting up again now.

Stoneyguy
09-15-07, 08:50 AM
Find a place that rents consoles. Rent a PS3 and a couple games that you think you'll enjoy for the weekend. The next weekend do the same for the 360. It might cost you nearly 100 bucks total, but at least you'll have no second doubts about your selection.

pkirby11
09-15-07, 10:59 AM
Buy both!! :captnkill:

No seriously I just got a PS3 (siad I never would and that Sony was the anit christ) but I'm loving it. I really haven't played much on it yet because I'm completing some X360 games but I just like it a lot for some reason, folding@home alone is nice to do on the PS3.

With that being siad they are currently lacking in games. I know that's going to change but it's the truth at the moment. For that I love my X360, I've had so much fun with it and can't wait for Halo 3! :D To me I couldn't pick a winner because honestly they are both great systems.

Technoholic
09-15-07, 11:39 AM
If I was the millionaire, I wouldn't have hard time picking out whichever I want even both. But since I'm not a millionaire, then I do have a hard time. It's more likely I will pick out PS3.

I guess I'll wait til tomorrow to decide which is which or drop it.

Additionally, since PS3 cost more, that would give me more room because if I get PS3 and I'm unhappy with it, then I will sell it and get XBOX360 easily and get more games than I would with PS3. Cool?

PeterJensen
09-15-07, 12:49 PM
I would like to add a nice point to this thread....:

PUSSY! YEA BABY YEA!

nightmare beta
09-15-07, 01:19 PM
If I was the millionaire, I wouldn't have hard time picking out whichever I want even both. But since I'm not a millionaire, then I do have a hard time. It's more likely I will pick out PS3.

I guess I'll wait til tomorrow to decide which is which or drop it.

Additionally, since PS3 cost more, that would give me more room because if I get PS3 and I'm unhappy with it, then I will sell it and get XBOX360 easily and get more games than I would with PS3. Cool?

The PS3 has more great games now, and the games are only going to get better.

There aren't any games released in the past year and a half on the x360 that are worth playing, imo. I haven't touched mine since early june of last year and that would've been may of last year had my 6800 gt not bit the dust.

I think that it would be hard for anyone to say that the ps3 doesn't have as many great games once unchartered comes out and, of course I think that's already true, even though some people won't think that until unchartered comes out.

Now if Rare were to make a new Battletoads or Killer Instinct 3, then my opinion of the x360 would change, but MS has not been using Rare to their advantage and I don't expect them to in the future either.