PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2008 PC

Dreamingawake
09-14-07, 09:57 PM
Uhm yeah, so I decided to pick this up this afternoon @ Walmart since I was under the impression that it was exactly the same as the console versions..
finally an Nhl game that doesnt suck..right??

Nope.. get it home, install and load it up, crank everything to max and
even on 1600x1200 I can't believe my eyes.

The character models look like crap. They're all blocky, and the textures
on the uniforms seem not as good, or the cloth doesn't appear as realistic
as it does on the 360 demo.

So far, not impressed. I'll try throwing in some AA and see if that helps..

roverXE
09-14-07, 10:19 PM
Uhm yeah, so I decided to pick this up this afternoon @ Walmart since I was under the impression that it was exactly the same as the console versions..

Where you been?

Fats_43
09-14-07, 10:27 PM
finally an Nhl game that doesnt suck..right??

Nope.. get it home, install and load it up, crank everything to max and
even on 1600x1200 I can't believe my eyes.

The character models look like crap. They're all blocky, and the textures
on the uniforms seem not as good, or the cloth doesn't appear as realistic
as it does on the 360 demo.

So far, not impressed. I'll try throwing in some AA and see if that helps..

Dude it's NHL 06 with a couple updates for PC.

EA Sports has taken this path with ALL their PC games now, basically saying F&$^ PC gamers. Now it's time to think of EA Sports for PC as bargin bin Value software or less quality.

Dreamingawake
09-14-07, 10:35 PM
Yeah I guess you're right.. I dunno, I swear I remember hearing that 2008 for the Pc would be 'next gen'.. but that was last year when 07' came out.. I'm sorry I believed it :(

[AK]Zip
09-14-07, 10:47 PM
I am running mine with 8X AA vsync on and 1680X1050.. It isn't THAT bad, but not nearly as good as it should be...

-Alex-

Dreamingawake
09-14-07, 10:49 PM
No you're right too, it's decent, I actually had fun while playing a few games against the computer..

it's just not what I expected that's all, I wish I had purchased the 360 version.

oh well.. Crysis soon :)

roverXE
09-14-07, 11:21 PM
oh well.. Crysis soon :)

amen to that!

Kaguya
09-15-07, 12:10 AM
I didn't know this was out. I enjoyed NHL 07 until I got a widescreen monitor and found out it didn't support widescreen, it seems that 08 does support widescreen properly, eh? How about the skill stick? Is that in 08 if you have a 360 controller?

the_recluse
09-15-07, 01:33 AM
Everything after NHL 2004 has been crap. Still playing NHL 2002 on a server at work w/ some coworkers. EA Sports sure has screwed the pooch for PC sports.

Fats_43
09-15-07, 07:49 AM
I didn't know this was out. I enjoyed NHL 07 until I got a widescreen monitor and found out it didn't support widescreen, it seems that 08 does support widescreen properly, eh? How about the skill stick? Is that in 08 if you have a 360 controller?

Honestly if you have a 360 get it for that, this PC version is umm weak sauce for sure.

If you thought it was fun back in 06 then just re install that you'll get the SAME thing. The whole game is roughly the size of the Stranglehold demo lol

The 360 version is 6+gb.

SLippe
09-17-07, 09:51 PM
Hmmm, didn't know this was out already. I play NHL07 quite a bit.

ragejg
09-17-07, 10:07 PM
Does 2k make PC versions of their sports games?

I find it reprehensible that EA would base current versions of their sports franchises on a 3 yr old engine.

So this is done with Madden, NCAA, NBA, and NHL? ... I had been excited about getting these games for PC when my rig is rebuilt, but now I feel stymied.

Fats_43
09-17-07, 10:40 PM
2K doesn't do Hockey or Football etc on PC.

I agree this game totally sux, not to mention buggy as hell cause it doesn't like todays hardware :( major controller issues bah just junk IMO.
Not even worth discussing. F%#$ EA Sports.

Retrolock
09-18-07, 12:19 AM
The only next gen sports game for the PC is pro evolution soccer 2008.

LordJuanlo
09-18-07, 03:30 AM

The game does not support widescreen, at least it does not support 1920x1200, maximum is 1600x1200. About the controller, the game is made for the Logitech pads (when you go to controller options you see a photo of a Logitech controller).

Like NHL 07, this game is totally different from the 360 version, so thanks EA Sports for the same crappy game than last year with updated rosters :thumbdwn:

Quick420
09-18-07, 10:43 AM
I saw an ad for this game last night on tv and it said 'New engine' I guess they were referring to the x360 version.I was on my way out the door to purchase it......I'm glad I read this first;)

pastrbuzz
01-05-08, 01:10 PM
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help...

I just bought the NHL08 for PC and cannot seem to get the controllers configged right-- I set it up in custom the way I like it and it changes in the game? I think it doesn't recognize my 2 button as 2 or 4 as 4 etc...-- any help?

Also- I need a PDF version of the manual in English. Turns out I bought a russian version of the game and it did not come with an english manual--- anyoneable to email me one at:
pastrbuzz@yahoo.ca?

mumstheword
01-05-08, 01:25 PM
Sports games for PCs have been small sellers for quite some. That's probably why they've been putting very little effort into it. I remember NBA live 2003 for PC was amazing. After that, it was just downhill.