PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX or PSU Help needed

holwill
09-15-07, 04:29 AM
Hi Guys, I was hoping that someone might be able to give a pointer as to what the problem is with my system, firstly here is my system specs.

E6600@3.6
2x1gb Corsair xms26400c4
Asus P5wW-DH Bios 2004 although all others tried!
BFG 8800GTX OC
Enermax Noisetaker 600w 2x18amp rails
2 x DVD writers
1 x floppy
1 x WD RaptorX
1 x Seagate 160gb
Xfi Extreme Gamer
1 x PCI USB Hub
Water cooled using D5 pump,PA120.1,PA120.2
and a total of 8 fans nexus and noctua
XP PRO SP2 all updates and hotfixes
All Nvidia drivers tried

Now the problem I get is with newer games ie, Bioshock,Graw2,MOH Airborne and Crysis beta I get random crashes, which leaves me with the screen going all corrupted as per the link.

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Pictures/8800%20Coruptionpost.jpg

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Pictures/8800%20coruption2post.jpg

Once this happens the pc will either just sit there or evetually reboot, sometimes I can her the game sound looping other times nothing. I can not alt-tab out of game, the only thing I can do is to force shut down and reboot the system. I get no error messages and there is never anything in event viewer, I have unticked auomatically restart and never see a bsod.
Things I have done to try and resolve this are 2x reformats, various drivers, underclocking the card down,unpluging as much as I can to reduce load on PSU, running cpu at its normal speed, reinstalling DirectX,setting fan to 100 percent when stock cooler fitted, removing the side of the case and aiming deskfan at it, the system will pass 12hrs Orthos Small FFT,s and run Memtest until I stop it with no errors,now if I run a older game such as HL2,Farcry,COD2 on max settings I have no isssue,s.
Anyway BFG support are starting to point there fingers at the PSU even though it appears to meet the requirements,so my train of thought is that maybe I do need a new power supply with higher rated 12v rails or the card is faulty. But the card shows no other signs or corruption in games and can run fine for hours or crash in minutes, with Bioshock it is possible to replicate the crash nearly every time in the same area! Any comments would be great as I am getting quite frustrated now and have no where to test the card as nobody I know has a psu capable of running it.

Xion X2
09-15-07, 07:56 AM
Ditch that dual-rail PSU and go with either a single-rail or one that has tri or quad-rails. Dual-rail PSUs are poorly built to sustain a heavy overclock such as you have.

sammy sung
09-15-07, 08:15 AM
Ditch that dual-rail PSU and go with either a single-rail or one that has tri or quad-rails. Dual-rail PSUs are poorly built to sustain a heavy overclock such as you have.

Maybe you need more than 600w aswell ? I have a 600w psu too, dual rail 18 amps but i have 4 fans instead of 8 and no watercooling+lower overclock.I had exactly the same issues as you with my first GTX (BFG) ,they replaced it with a BFG 8800 GTX oc that lasted 3 hours.My first card worked better in vista with far less bsod's so it looked like a driver issue, but BFG still reccomended a RMA.My third card in the sig has been flawless since april when i got it.I still dont know what caused it but atleast for me it wasnt the PSU.

spajdr
09-15-07, 08:41 AM
Seeing all PC specs i would point to PSU also, try to disable floppy, 2xdvds, and fans you can disable, if something changes.

Burnt_Ram
09-15-07, 04:50 PM
i too suspect your power supply. like was said above unplug everything possible and test.

if i'm not mistaken a GTX draws 25 amps or so by it self :( doesnt leave you much left over ;)

Joe Public
09-15-07, 11:52 PM
An 8800GTX draws about 140-150W maximum. 25A=300W, that would be about right for 8800GTX in SLI though.

holwill
09-16-07, 03:18 AM
Right tried a brand new Enermax Ifiniti 720w With 3x12v rails @28/28/30 and the problem happened! So it is RMA time!

Darkoz
09-16-07, 04:05 AM
You might also want to consider that it may be an isssue with the Xfi sound card which have been known to cause problems with newer games.

sammy sung
09-16-07, 05:27 AM
Strange coinsidence ,xions failed GTX was a BFG,the 2 cards i had that failed were both BFG and now this one.It doesnt mean dick but makes me wonder just the same,with both BFG's i had nothing but problems (both were the older black pcb type).My current asus card(green pcb) has been flawless for 6 months.Could the older black pcb cards be of lesser quality with a higher failure-rate ?

Xion X2
09-16-07, 06:22 AM
Strange coinsidence ,xions failed GTX was a BFG,the 2 cards i had that failed were both BFG and now this one.It doesnt mean dick but makes me wonder just the same,with both BFG's i had nothing but problems (both were the older black pcb type).My current asus card(green pcb) has been flawless for 6 months.Could the older black pcb cards be of lesser quality with a higher failure-rate ?
I don't think the black PCB has anything to do with it. Have a good friend w/ a black PCB, and his has been fine since launch. All Ultras also come on a black PCB.

Who knows what determines these things. From what I've heard, they all come from the same factory and production line, yet from my experience some seem to have a higher failure rate than others for whatever reason.

holwill
09-20-07, 01:22 AM
Rma'ed the card and the new one is in and all my problems have gone. So pleased, I can enjoy my gaming again! Thx for the input

mcbacker
09-20-07, 09:54 AM
Hi holwill, so the problem really disappeared?

MC

holwill
09-20-07, 10:07 AM
Hi holwill, so the problem really disappeared?

MC

Yes mate, I did the test in bioshock that caused the crash and after 20 times it had not crashed once and managed 2hrs of Crysis beta MP (nana2)