PDA

View Full Version : Intel Acquires Physics Powerhouse Havok!

SH64
09-15-07, 04:29 AM
Delete if repost.
Intel has signed an agreement to acquire Havok, creators of the Havok physics engine, which is used in many popular video games (Bioshock, Stranglehold, Halo 2, Half-Life 2) and movies (The Matrix, Troy). Havok will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel but continue to operate as an independent business entity.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=45984&mode=thread&order=0

Sounds a good move from Intel to me esp now they are on the roll with the current & next gen microprocessors.

nutcrackr
09-15-07, 05:06 AM
wow bioshock uses havok? why does its physics suck so much compared to hl2 then?

SH64
09-15-07, 05:09 AM
wow bioshock uses havok? why does its physics suck so much compared to hl2 then?
It seems to me that some games just badly utilitze the physics engine ... just like the case with graphics engines.

S.I.N
09-15-07, 09:55 AM
Seems kind of odd to buy Havok of all companies. Not like it will give them some sort of advantage unless they limit how devs can implement it with ATI hardware and I cant imagine any of them doing that. Oh well.

grey_1
09-15-07, 10:01 AM
Seems kind of odd to buy Havok of all companies. Not like it will give them some sort of advantage unless they limit how devs can implement it with ATI hardware and I cant imagine any of them doing that. Oh well.
Maybe they have something else that hasn't fully leaked yet?

Everyone and their brother is trying to offload physics to another component...dedicated core for physics? The have enough to do it.

vläd
09-15-07, 11:47 AM
From the INQ rumor mill... (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42368)
" A company that will definitely benefit from all of this is Ageia. It makes physics middleware for its hardware, and gives the APIs and software away for other systems. It is the iPod model of sales. If Intel alienates people with the buy, it will simply take the development team in house and Ageia is a big winner.

But it remains a puzzling move. If it is a Larrabee developer grab, good enough. Beyond that we don't see it being worth the money. Intel has to know that any tricks will alienate people fast enough to destroy any value Havok has. Curious."

jAkUp
09-15-07, 02:17 PM
Maybe not limit how it works on AMD hardware, but they will probably have some special instruction to improve the performance on Intel processors.

sl0ppy_sec0nds
09-15-07, 03:06 PM
Looks like Intel is really trying to hold on to the crown of the PC gaming industry. Come on AMD, pull it together.

nightmare beta
09-15-07, 03:33 PM
I hope they just make an sdk that will allow max physics fx on any core 2 processor.

Currently existing Quad core processors are said by the experts themselves 2 be powerful enough for advanced physics as they are, so i hope they just make a new havok sdk with no new hardware.

NOTE: This post wasn't an angry one, just a fast one.

retsam
09-15-07, 03:49 PM
Maybe they have something else that hasn't fully leaked yet?

Everyone and their brother is trying to offload physics to another component...dedicated core for physics? The have enough to do it.
im thinking that intel may embed havoc type tech into there cpu's sort of what amd is doing with the gpu tech they got from ati.

grey_1
09-15-07, 06:24 PM
im thinking that intel may embed havoc type tech into there cpu's sort of what amd is doing with the gpu tech they got from ati.
I'd love to see it. A quad handling the tech so I don't have to worry about a second gpu.

SH64
09-15-07, 06:39 PM
Maybe not limit how it works on AMD hardware, but they will probably have some special instruction to improve the performance on Intel processors.
Yep i'm thinking of something like AMD's 3DNow!

jAkUp
09-15-07, 06:46 PM

Yes, but hopefully a lot more usefull(lee63)

kev13dd
09-15-07, 06:49 PM
Really? I wouldn't go as far as saying "sucks compared to". I think both games use it pretty well

K

jolle
09-15-07, 09:19 PM
I dont understand, Havok dont have any hardware, just software, so what tech would they embed in CPUs?
And are you refering to AMD integrating lowend GPUs into the CPU for budget computers?

Could perhaps be related to the claims that Intel is going into high end graphics?
What with HavokFX and all that.

which is like Intels SSE right?
Wouldnt they simply have to look at what sort of calculations are typicly used in physic calculations and create a new set of instructions then?
Seems a bit overboard to buy up a entire company for that.

Madpistol
09-16-07, 09:11 AM
This may help Intel to get an edge in physics over AMD.

With Havok's help, they may be able to imbed physics acceleration into Intel's next gen of CPU's. Wouldn't that be cool. ;)