PDA

View Full Version : 7900GT dying?

evilpanda
09-15-07, 02:06 PM
Hi all! I don't post very often but I do read posts on a regular basis here.

I upgraded my pc to a dual core 6850 but decided to keep my 7900GT since the majority of the games I play are still "old" (DOD source, WoW). The upgrade in CPU really helped for source games but I started to see graphical glitches. First in DOD, there are red dots appearing at random places when the screen is dark (and no it's not dead pixels from my LCD). I even saw them when my pc POST when I reboot and they disappear, it's really weird. Also in DOD and WoW sometimes textures are stretched like if there was a line starting from a tip of my char into the sky.

In DOD I also saw texture disappearing on some building walls and reappearing but using wrong colors and distorted. I'll try to get a screenshot to show you guys, but do you think it might be related to my card dying out? I use a Dell widescreen 24 inches LCD so I game at 1920x1200.

If I needed a replacement, which card should I get? I read that at 1920x1200 I should get at least a 8800 GTS 640megs or 8800GTX but is the GTX REALLY worth the upgrade?

Sorry for my english, it's not my primary language ;)

Wester547
09-15-07, 04:04 PM
Unless you can circumvent or evade the texture evict issue found on many vBIOS versions of the GeForce 8xxx series, I'm not one to apprise a series that has such issues (unless you're willing to alt+tab, then that's never worked in Oblivion for me as returning to the game results in a GUI problem that pries me to quit). And I'm not going to be as foolhardy as recommending an AMD/ATi card (the Radeon HD 2900 XT series, which is subpar given its price range in performance anyway, to me... not that I think it's an egregious card) on an nVidia forum. Quite a bit of indecisiveness here, as I'm not sold to any one interpretation of the matter.

I'd just go with what feels right, though I suppose a GeForce 7950 GT wouldn't hurt. But if you feel the 8xxx series is the way to go, then the GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB G-DDR 3 option (especially if you can evade a BIOS version that's affected by the texture evict issue) doesn't sound half-bad to me if you're wanting to augment your experience with resolutions as high as 1920x1200+.

john19055
09-15-07, 09:38 PM
What brand do you have ,I had my Evga 7900Gt SS go bad ,i was getting artifacts in windows when i booted up and games just look bad ,But with Evga I had no problems getting it replaced ,they sent me a 7900GTX .But the 8800GTS 640mb or the 8800GTX is really worth it ,I would go with the GTX if you game at 1920x1200.

K-1
09-15-07, 11:53 PM
Sorry for my english, it's not my primary language ;)

Don't apologize, your English is excellent! Your 7900 is definitely dying, and it will only get worse from here on (have had the exact same thing happen to me twice with the 7900GT). You can underclock the card to try to get some more mileage out of it. I think an 8800GTS 640 would be a great replacement, especially for your resolution, but see if you can't hold on for just a few more months as Nvidia's next set of cards is due real soon.

evilpanda
09-17-07, 08:38 PM
Don't apologize, your English is excellent! Your 7900 is definitely dying, and it will only get worse from here on (have had the exact same thing happen to me twice with the 7900GT). You can underclock the card to try to get some more mileage out of it. I think an 8800GTS 640 would be a great replacement, especially for your resolution, but see if you can't hold on for just a few more months as Nvidia's next set of cards is due real soon.

Thanks for the advices. My video card is EVGA and if I choose to upgrade I'm going with EVGA again since they have a good reputation.

I'm not sure if I can get a replacement as my card is 1.5 years old! I'll wait a little longer to see if prices drop before the next line comes out. The GTS is in my price range but a lot of you guys here at nvnews seem to agree that gaming at 1920x1200 will greatly benefit from the GTX.

john19055
09-17-07, 09:54 PM
If you register the card and have proof of the purchase then it does'nt manner if it is a year and a half old,My 7900Gt was over a year old and it was no problem with EVGA.

evilpanda
09-30-07, 01:08 PM
Here is what I see in WoW, is it my video card?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/e_panda25/wow_bug.jpg

Misfire
09-30-07, 02:36 PM
what drivers are u using?

evilpanda
09-30-07, 03:50 PM
what drivers are u using?