PDA

View Full Version : Tenebrea For Quake

Mr Bigman
09-15-07, 03:53 PM
This is a mod or conversion that takes GLQuake and makes it look simualr too Doom3.

Problem is i noticed even with very powerful rigs, this game lags bigtime maxed out.

We are talking about QUake1 here on steriods. Why with the most current hardware this game still lags with the Tenebrae enabled?

Its not loading 512 MB textures.

CaptNKILL
09-15-07, 04:07 PM
Haven't played this mod in a while.

It ran good the last time I did though. Probably on my 6800GT.

Eliminator
09-15-07, 05:22 PM
last time i tried this was on my old 9500 Pro which ran it at like 20FPS at 1024x768

Mr Bigman
09-15-07, 05:46 PM
Yea, its a demanding mod. I got SLI 7 and 8 series and even both are taxed my this mod but i have to mod full bore for best image quality.

jolle
09-15-07, 09:06 PM
My guess would be that its not handling the graphics in way thats very efficient.
They´ve basicly written their own renderer for a very old engine.. maybe its not as effiecient as it could be.

evilghost
09-15-07, 09:58 PM
Pretty cool find, it's certainly an antiquated engine but it's at least open-source, id is pretty good about that. I'd like to give it a try, thanks for the post.

evilghost
09-15-07, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, and this thread made me think of Darmok, got to love the Tamarians.

"Shaka, when the walls fell."
"Temba, his arms wide"

grey_1
09-15-07, 10:11 PM
Had to google some screenies, looks great.

avirox
09-15-07, 10:34 PM
Darkplaces has taken the place of tenebrae as leading q1 graphics engine for quite a while. It has all the same features and more (HDR and all those other nice graphical features). The free dm game Nexuiz (www.nexuiz.com) is based off of darkplaces as well as others..

SlieTheSecond
09-15-07, 10:44 PM
Darkplaces has taken the place of tenebrae as leading q1 graphics engine for quite a while. It has all the same features and more (HDR and all those other nice graphical features). The free dm game Nexuiz (www.nexuiz.com) is based off of darkplaces as well as others..

x2

The Darkplaces engine is awsome
And their mod if fun too.

I remember tyring tenebrae back when it first came out, I got like 1fps at max settings (I think it was tenebrae)

Gabrobot
09-16-07, 03:41 AM
This is a mod or conversion that takes GLQuake and makes it look simualr too Doom3.

Problem is i noticed even with very powerful rigs, this game lags bigtime maxed out.

We are talking about QUake1 here on steriods. Why with the most current hardware this game still lags with the Tenebrae enabled?

Its not loading 512 MB textures.

Quake was never meant to have Doom 3 graphics, and as such the engine proved to be a poor platform for an advanced engine. As a result the guy who made Tenebrae started working on a reprogrammed engine called Tenebrae 2, but last I checked (couple years or so ago) he had moved on to other things.

As others have said Darkplaces is definitely the leading Quake engine at the moment.

CaptNKILL
09-16-07, 07:27 AM
This is the first I've heard of Darkplaces.

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/screenshots.html

Looks awesome. :)

Anyone know if there are any projects like this for Quake 2? I freaking LOVE that game. It'd be amazing with some better textures and better lighting.

Rakeesh
09-16-07, 02:44 PM

No. This is its own engine. Tenebrae is Tenebrae, it isn't for anything. It has its roots in the quake engine, but it is not the quake engine anymore.

Mr Bigman
09-16-07, 10:57 PM
I checked out the mod and it looks ok.

Tenebrae looks better cuz it has shinier surfices and looks like a Doom 3 mod.

Im stciking with Tenebrae.