PDA

View Full Version : Finally went Quad Core and loving it! (Q6600 G0)

Pages : [1] 2

$n][pErMan
09-15-07, 07:29 PM
I have a very great feeling about this CPU. Running just slightly above stock voltage at 1.26V. Current OC is 3.1Ghz (345 x 9). I will post some idle temps once the AC5 sets in, as for now you can see my current OC and temps running 2 instances of Othors priming all 4 cores :D God I love this CPU... running at that and still able to use my PC with no slow downs. Can;t wait to try this quad in a game. Plus im very curious how high I can get this CPU to go on the clocks. I might have to get a better HSF as I think I will be able to crank this thing way up but am not sure my Zalman 9700 will be able to keep up once I start upping the voltage.

rudedog
09-15-07, 07:32 PM
very nice, mind if I ask where and how much you paid?

Been thinking if they come down cheap enough and I can find a 0 step I would pick one up.

$n][pErMan
09-15-07, 07:46 PM
very nice, mind if I ask where and how much you paid?

Been thinking if they come down cheap enough and I can find a 0 step I would pick one up.
I paid $279.99 ($298 after taxes). I bought it from Micro Center here locally so I paid a little more because of the tax but I was able to have the sales man show me all the CPU's and allow me to pick the box that had SLACR on the product code for the Q6600. May have cost me more than buying online with the tax but it allowed me to get EXACTLY what I wanted without hoping for a G0 :) At least now when I am bitching about working overtime for the next month I will have a better reason for making the money durring that time... lol. BTW... now Orthos testing at 3.2Ghz on stock voltage! :D

rudedog
09-15-07, 07:56 PM
very nice, I would love to be able to walk in and buy top end stuff and would pay a bit more then online.

Good luck with your quad core, looking to pick one up soon.

PaiN
09-15-07, 08:55 PM
My first Q6600(G0)..would not clock well at all, barely wanted to go past 2.8 :( I RMAd it and will have a replacement Monday, I'm hoping for a good clocker like your's $n][pErMan. Good luck with the OCing

SILVEREGTS
09-15-07, 08:58 PM
[pErMan']I paid $279.99 ($298 after taxes). I bought it from Micro Center here locally so I paid a little more because of the tax but I was able to have the sales man show me all the CPU's and allow me to pick the box that had SLACR on the product code for the Q6600. May have cost me more than buying online with the tax but it allowed me to get EXACTLY what I wanted without hoping for a G0 :) At least now when I am bitching about working overtime for the next month I will have a better reason for making the money durring that time... lol. BTW... now Orthos testing at 3.2Ghz on stock voltage! :D

I told you that you wouldnt regret it.

$n][pErMan
09-15-07, 09:14 PM
My first Q6600(G0)..would not clock well at all, barely wanted to go past 2.8 :( I RMAd it and will have a replacement Monday, I'm hoping for a good clocker like your's $n][pErMan. Good luck with the OCing
Thanks... hopefully your new one works out for you too. I have found in the last hour or so that if I want anything above 3.2Ghz I have to start upping the voltage to about 1.35V instead of 1.26V. A big jump relative to the speed difference. Now I am debating if I would rather run at 3.15Ghz at 1.26V and never worry aabout temps or go further and start seeing where my Voltage vs. temps becomes and issue for speed. The one nice thing though I guess is that the threashold on these babies are what... 15C higher? :D

SILVEREGTS
09-15-07, 09:26 PM
[pErMan']Thanks... hopefully your new one works out for you too. I have found in the last hour or so that if I want anything above 3.2Ghz I have to start upping the voltage to about 1.35V instead of 1.26V. A big jump relative to the speed difference. Now I am debating if I would rather run at 3.15Ghz at 1.26V and never worry aabout temps or go further and start seeing where my Voltage vs. temps becomes and issue for speed. The one nice thing though I guess is that the threashold on these babies are what... 15C higher? :D

71c is what is stated by intel. You would not have much to worry about up to around 75c whild priming, although that would be as high as I would go with it.

Mojoe
09-16-07, 06:13 AM
delete

Mojoe
09-16-07, 06:13 AM
delete

Mojoe
09-16-07, 06:15 AM
Here is mine . ;)

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/116/q6600142vwk8.th.jpg (http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=q6600142vwk8.jpg)

hoop
09-16-07, 11:47 AM
nice

mullet
09-16-07, 12:03 PM
$n][pErMan, nice job man. I can't wait to get mine, hopefully the 9800GTX will come soon.

$n][pErMan
09-16-07, 12:50 PM
Here is mine . ;)

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/116/q6600142vwk8.th.jpg (http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=q6600142vwk8.jpg)
Nice... what fan you got? Those temps are damn good for that OC and voltage. I think I might have to get myself a better HSF to get that high on the clocks as I am going to need more voltage to do it and I dont think the Zalman 9700 is up to the task... :|

$n][pErMan, nice job man. I can't wait to get mine, hopefully the 9800GTX will come soon.
Are you waiting to get your Q6600 till when the 9800GTX comes around? Unless you have some reason to save the money till then id say just go for it. I have noticed a huge difference in FSX. none of my other games really ran slow so its hard to tell, but my 3dMark06 score went from 11041 to 12410 just by switching to quad core (and I still have yet to really overclock my video card) :D I'll be curious to see how my system does on DX10 Crysis when it comes out... it just feels like I have a ton of headroom to play with if I want too :)

Whats funny is this is the first time in about 7 years that I have been able to get a better CPU and not have to change the motherboard as well... lol.

SILVEREGTS
09-16-07, 01:26 PM
[pErMan']Whats funny is this is the first time in about 7 years that I have been able to get a better CPU and not have to change the motherboard as well... lol.

Thats because the P5b deluxe kicks ass ;)

Its been my favorite board of all time so far and I have been shocked with how well it overclocks the Q6600.

mullet
09-16-07, 09:13 PM
[pErMan']Are you waiting to get your Q6600 till when the 9800GTX comes around?

Well I am going to get a new mobo, ram, PS, CPU & vid all at the same time then give my wife my old stuff for her TJ09. She has a fx55 and 1900GT, so she can play COD4 and UT3 once she gets my system I have now.

$n][pErMan
09-16-07, 09:20 PM
Well I am going to get a new mobo, ram, PS, CPU & vid all at the same time then give my wife my old stuff for her TJ09. She has a fx55 and 1900GT, so she can play COD4 and UT3 once she gets my system I have now.
I was about to say... your current system is hardly dated :p My old gaming system I use as a linux gaming server... turned the system under that into a DVR. Other than that I have about 3 more computers sitting around with no use and probably enough parts laying around to build 4 more... lol.

SILVEREGTS
09-16-07, 09:27 PM
[pErMan']I was about to say... your current system is hardly dated :p My old gaming system I use as a linux gaming server... turned the system under that into a DVR. Other than that I have about 3 more computers sitting around with no use and probably enough parts laying around to build 4 more... lol.

I used to be that way but I try to get stuff up on Ebay ASAP to help recoup some of the cost when I upgrade computer parts.

$n][pErMan
09-17-07, 06:05 PM
Whats are some good idle temps on this CPU? Currently my idle temps are (using Coretemp):
40 39 37 40

Under full load at 3.15Ghz w/ 1.264V
60 59 57 58

Was just wondering if I should re-apply my AC5, consider a new HSF, or if my temps are normal. I know these quads run hotter than the duals, I was hoping to start going past 3.2Ghz by adding more voltage but I am not willing to go past 60C on the temps.

Rozollio
09-17-07, 06:28 PM
[pErMan']Whats are some good idle temps on this CPU? Currently my idle temps are (using Coretemp):
40 39 37 40

Under full load at 3.15Ghz w/ 1.264V
60 59 57 58

Was just wondering if I should re-apply my AC5, consider a new HSF, or if my temps are normal. I know these quads run hotter than the duals, I was hoping to start going past 3.2Ghz by adding more voltage but I am not willing to go past 60C on the temps.

Omg dude your temps are horrible for such low Vcore and a light overclock. By comparison my G0 Q6600 is at 3.5ghz with 1.425vc and loads at 62 61 63 62 I am using the Tuniq Tower 120.

You might want to try a remount and reapply some AC5 to see if you got a bad mount, I myself have never been a big fan of the Zalman cpu coolers, I think they are very overrated.

And also you dont have to worry about going over 60c with this chip because intel has it rated at 71c ;)

$n][pErMan
09-17-07, 07:07 PM
Omg dude your temps are horrible for such low Vcore and a light overclock. By comparison my G0 Q6600 is at 3.5ghz with 1.425vc and loads at 62 61 63 62 I am using the Tuniq Tower 120.

You might want to try a remount and reapply some AC5 to see if you got a bad mount, I myself have never been a big fan of the Zalman cpu coolers, I think they are very overrated.

And also you dont have to worry about going over 60c with this chip because intel has it rated at 71c ;)
Ya.. its a pain in the ass... but I think I am going to try a re-mount. Hopefully that helps :)

$n][pErMan
09-17-07, 07:43 PM
Well god damit... 2 of the cores are 1C cooler, 1 core is the same and another core is 1C hotter.... ughh.... either POS HSF for quad core or I just suck ass at seating it with AC5...

Anyone have any HSF recommendations? I have been looking at the Turniq Tower but I don't know if it will hit my 250mm fan on the side of my case :p

Rozollio
09-17-07, 07:53 PM
[pErMan']Well god damit... now my temps are like 2C higher.... ughh.... POS HSF or I just suck ass at seating it with AC5...

Take a deep breath.............Ahhhh....better now? lol.

Just ditch the Zalman bro and get a Ultra 120 or a Tuniq Tower. ;)

hokeyplyr48
09-17-07, 08:14 PM
[pErMan']Well god damit... 2 of the cores are 1C cooler, 1 core is the same and another core is 1C hotter.... ughh.... either POS HSF for quad core or I just suck ass at seating it with AC5...

Anyone have any HSF recommendations? I have been looking at the Turniq Tower but I don't know if it will hit my 250mm fan on the side of my case :p

someone can correct me if i'm wrong but 2 of the cores always run a little hotter. (specifically 1 and 2) i think it has to do with their position within the chip. but i could be wrong. someone told me that once and i've seen it true on everyones pictures for the most part. my first two cores idle 3 or so degrees hotter than my other two. just FYI

$n][pErMan
09-17-07, 09:21 PM
Take a deep breath.............Ahhhh....better now? lol.

Just ditch the Zalman bro and get a Ultra 120 or a Tuniq Tower. ;)
lol... I just have a feeling this quad has a ton of power as I am at 3.1Ghz with little change in voltage and im just annoyed I can;t get my temps down. I think your right.. time to upgrade the HSF wih it :) Out of the Turniq and the Ultra 120 (both of which seems to be what most people on these forums have) which is quieter? Also, do both perform about the same or is there a clear winner for cooling?