PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone TJ-09

Sidric
09-16-07, 10:50 PM
Anyone own one of these? I'm thinking about picking one up, I just have a few concerns: first off, is that expansion slot cooler effective? and how many fans does the case come with out of the box? I just need to know so I can get some other fans to fill those empty slots. I'm not going to be water cooling, so totally silent operation won't be possible but as far as air cooling is it fairly quiet?

I can't think of any other issues I might run into when I drop my system into this case, but if you guys have any feedback please let me know. Thanks.

Monolyth
09-17-07, 02:07 PM
Anyone own one of these? I'm thinking about picking one up, I just have a few concerns: first off, is that expansion slot cooler effective? and how many fans does the case come with out of the box? I just need to know so I can get some other fans to fill those empty slots. I'm not going to be water cooling, so totally silent operation won't be possible but as far as air cooling is it fairly quiet?

I can't think of any other issues I might run into when I drop my system into this case, but if you guys have any feedback please let me know. Thanks.

I can't say anything about the fans in the box (I am buying a TJ-10 soon), but if you want as quiet as you can get without sacrificing too much airflow, look at the Scythe S-Flex or Yate Loon series fans. I plan to buy 4 Scythe's once the X38 mobo's come out to fill out a TJ-10 case. Yate Loon's are cheaper, but many folks swear by them, I've owned several Scythe's and all of them have been silent (to my ears at least).

Sidric
09-17-07, 07:53 PM
The TJ-10 is something to keep in mind, however I'm trying not to spend more than $300 on a case. That might actually be difficult considering the fans I'll be getting and the ridiculous shipping costs to Alaska anyway, but I'm trying to save some money regardless.

I'll have to check out the differences between the two to really see if I can justify the price difference, if not I'll probably just stick with the TJ-09.

Sidric
09-17-07, 09:14 PM
Well I went ahead and took the plunge. Got myself a black TJ-10 with a window and a couple Scythe S-FLEX fans(already have one in my Lian Li that I'm going to transfer over). While I was at it I went ahead and got a Zalman 9700 NT for my E6600, and some AS5 and Thermal Interface remover for good measure. Should be awesome once I get it all installed. I'll provide pics if I can get my camera working.

edit: and you wouldn't believe the shipping costs if I told you. I sooo can't wait to move back to the lower 48.

crainger
09-17-07, 11:46 PM
The shipping costs were $76.40 and you should have gotten a Thermalright Ultra 120.

Sidric
09-18-07, 12:26 AM
nope, actually it cost me right around 167.00 for UPS 5-day shipping from Newegg. and that was the cheapest. I was going to get the Thermalright, but decided against it based on some user reviews complaining that the retention mechanism wasn't that great, and that it required some lapping before it really became effective. The Zalman will do me just fine anyway . . I'm not looking to take my core 2 much farther than 3.5.

jcrox
09-18-07, 01:02 AM
$167.00 shipping :wtf: That's a %50 increase in price..... I hope it's a really awesome case.... for nearly $500 it better be!!!!

Monolyth
09-18-07, 01:12 AM
Well I went ahead and took the plunge. Got myself a black TJ-10 with a window and a couple Scythe S-FLEX fans(already have one in my Lian Li that I'm going to transfer over). While I was at it I went ahead and got a Zalman 9700 NT for my E6600, and some AS5 and Thermal Interface remover for good measure. Should be awesome once I get it all installed. I'll provide pics if I can get my camera working.

edit: and you wouldn't believe the shipping costs if I told you. I sooo can't wait to move back to the lower 48.

Gratz man, sorry to hear about the shipping. :(

Let us know how you like the TJ-10! :)

Sidric
09-18-07, 01:16 AM
$167.00 shipping :wtf: That's a %50 increase in price..... I hope it's a really awesome case.... for nearly $500 it better be!!!!

Yea, you're telling me. Newegg is ok as far as shipping to AK is concerned, but I usually go with Zipzoomfly. ZZ has free shipping to both AK and HI, minus a 10 dollar handling fee. Unfortunately they don't have as large a catalog as Newegg so I'm sorta stuck with paying the overpriced shipping.

I'm realling counting on this case lasting a good, long while so hopefully this "investment" will pay off.

crainger
09-18-07, 04:22 AM
I'm pretty sure the shipping was $76.40.

Sidric
09-18-07, 05:25 AM
I'm pretty sure the shipping was $76.40.

Well, it normally would've cost $440(U.S. currency, obviously) but it instead costs $614 because of shipping so you do the math ;)

mullet
09-18-07, 11:47 AM
Silverstone TJ10 + Silverstone CFP51-B = 5x120mm fan goodness!1!!!!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27876&stc=1&d=1190133914

Sidric
09-18-07, 10:45 PM
Expect pictures by next weekend. Most of the stuff is supposed to get here by this Friday but the AS5 and Thermal Interface Remover/Purifier won't get here till next Tuesday(shipping from New Jersey :( ). I'm really looking forward to putting this all together :D

Monolyth
09-19-07, 12:30 AM
Expect pictures by next weekend. Most of the stuff is supposed to get here by this Friday but the AS5 and Thermal Interface Remover/Purifier won't get here till next Tuesday(shipping from New Jersey :( ). I'm really looking forward to putting this all together :D

That's the best part, until you somehow manage to make your fingers bleed...but maybe that's just me.

Sidric
09-19-07, 12:51 AM
That's the best part, until you somehow manage to make your fingers bleed...but maybe that's just me.

Oh no, its not just you. I received 3 or 4 cuts on my left hand as a result of doing some rewiring in my current case. Those Zalman coolers can be nasty if you're not careful heh.

Sidric
09-23-07, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to post a small update, but everything is now installed in the new case minus the new cooler. It was a little harder than I thought(first time working with a config that has PSU on the bottom)but it looks beautiful. The TJ-10 certainly has a commanding presence. I spent the first few minutes after I was done just admiring it.

As for performance, well my CPU temps have dropped a full 10 degrees so I'd say that it was quite an improvement. I'd say the expansion slot cooler is working pretty well, or at least as well as a normal intake fan would. The separation of hard drives from the rest of the case is pure genius.

I will be posting pictures as soon as I get batteries for my camera, or alternatively I may have to use my webcam. One way or another, you guys will get to see it :D