PDA

View Full Version : Parallel port

topol
09-17-07, 09:20 AM
Hi all. I'm going to buy an ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 motherboard, but it hasn't LPT port. Does anyone use this port nowadays? And what hardware could to plug to this port?

Joe Public
09-17-07, 11:13 AM
Legacy hardware such as parallel port printers, some storage units (ZIP100 drives), scanners etc. (But you probably already knew this?) Frankly, if you're not using any outdated and prehistoric hardware, the parallel/LPT port is not of any use. It has been completely superceded by the USB/Firewire/eSATA ports today.

Oh, I remember back in the early 90s, we made a homebrew D/A converter that plugged into the LPT port, it actually played sound pretty ok. It was quick and dirty 30 minute job, I recall we were afraid it would short out the computer (a brand new 386DX) as we were plugging it in. ;)

AthlonXP1800
09-17-07, 07:22 PM
Wow I disabled Parallel port in the BIOS, it no longer in use anymore for... 10 years the last time I used Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4L printer, it gone in 2002.

buffbiff21
09-17-07, 07:40 PM
Hi all. I'm going to buy an ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 motherboard, but it hasn't LPT port. Does anyone use this port nowadays? And what hardware could to plug to this port?

*****corn.

ViN86
09-17-07, 09:27 PM
nothing really uses it nowadays. same for the serial port. also, the serial port has can be converted to USB with a Serial-to-USB adapter.

Q
09-17-07, 09:50 PM
nothing really uses it nowadays. same for the serial port. also, the serial port has can be converted to USB with a Serial-to-USB adapter.

Ving machines use serial. As do some switches and network equipment :)

Tr1cK
09-18-07, 07:56 AM
Wow, so many people get pwnd by penis enlargement ads asking about parallel ports on ****ty hardware.

Joe Public
09-19-07, 03:39 AM
I got pwned again. (nana2) :rolleyes: