PDA

View Full Version : Please Help With Fx Flow??

DanCanovas
04-08-03, 12:13 PM
just been reading some of the other forums. My FX Ultra is on its way tonight and Im getting worried about this down-clocking? I want my FX to run at 500 on the core and 1000 on the memory AT ALL TIMES... Is this going to happen. I dont want the clock speeds lowering on their own!! I may have misubderstood the whole thing which is why Im begging someone to explain ASAP.
Thanks guys

SurfMonkey
04-08-03, 12:15 PM
It will down clock for 2D and if it overheats. To run it at full whack constantly I think you'd have to invest in some more exotic cooling like a water block.

DanCanovas
04-08-03, 12:16 PM
so it wont run at them clock speeds all the time?? I dont want it running in my games at lower clock speeds! Please tell me this isnt true!

SurfMonkey
04-08-03, 12:31 PM
It'll only downclock in 3D apps if it overheats, so it will run full tilt in games. Apart from Patience etc :D. I believe you can set the threshold value in the drivers anyway so you could probably stop it down clocking in 2D mode if you wanted. Though the noise would probably make you go insane.

DanCanovas
04-08-03, 12:34 PM
ok thats a bit better PHEW! Also Ive just been over to rage3d and Im hearing some horror stories about people who just bought an FX and now there games are totally fuc*ed up! tearing and stuff. What do u think? I will be doing a complete format and using 43.45!

SurfMonkey
04-08-03, 12:39 PM
Well the NV30 has a few issues...:rolleyes:.

I think, since your card is on the way, that you should wait and see. You may be very lucky and not suffer from any problems at all. If you do, well... that's what this forums for ;) The only thing I didn't like about the 43.45 dets is the fact that Hardware DVD playback support is busted in PowerDVD XP.

Enjoy, and don't put to much stock in what you hear over @R3D, it's not exactly a forum that puts muchh stock in nvidia!! Things may be a little exaggerated :D

DanCanovas
04-08-03, 12:41 PM
jesus, I just spent 350 on a video card and I might be LUCKY if I dont have probs! I really trust Nvidia. They better not let me down else it'll be a 9800 Pro! Jesus u got me mervous now LOL!

SurfMonkey
04-08-03, 12:48 PM
Hey don't fret :D If you don't like it then just send it back, you ain't spent any money until you are 100% satisfied with your product. That's the law!!

I like the NV30, it just didn't turn out quite the way people expected it. The NV35 is shaping up to be more of a ball buster, but that is still two months away.

Maybe I shouldn't have qualified the word luck with very :), I think you will be fine. The only issues I know for sure that the NV30 has with games is that in some instances it doesn't render things 100% correctly. These are all issues that can probably be sorted out with driver releases.

I still think that quite a few issues are down to the NV30 not behaving in the way that the driver team expected it to, and they haven't got this right yet.

Sit back and enjoy it, it's going to make gaming more fun whatever happens.

*edit*
Mind you, I just saw that you already have a 9700. Why upgrade? The difference is tiny, and the 9700 does provide better AA in most cases.

DanCanovas
04-08-03, 12:49 PM
cheers, thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Badash
04-08-03, 01:55 PM
The down clocking in my opinion is only a temporary issue till Nvidia polishes the drivers for it. You may not experience it a all. I only had it in one older game, the rest of my games worked fine. Just make sure 2 things, you've got a nice power supply, and good case airflow with good ambient temps. Make sure your cabling is all organized. If it does shut off there is an easy trick to make it come back on quick. Alt tab out of your game then alt tab back in. I tested the temps of the card when it downclocked in that game, they were fine. It was running 300/600 in the game with no fan around the same temps as 500/1000 with the fan. Just keep an eye on it for a week, or till they get new drivers. I'm building a new fan setup for the FX to see how quiet I can get it.

sebazve
04-08-03, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by DanCanovas
ok thats a bit better PHEW! Also Ive just been over to rage3d and Im hearing some horror stories about people who just bought an FX and now there games are totally fuc*ed up! tearing and stuff. What do u think? I will be doing a complete format and using 43.45!

hehehehe you were to rage3d to see how the card works:D :D :p :p

enjoy your card m8! post your thought after you test it:)

RobHague
04-08-03, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
The NV35 is shaping up to be more of a ball buster, but that is still two months away.

Does someone know something i dont? Last time i heard the NV35 was getting a "First Look" in May at E3. :thinker: Seems speculation is rippling round that the NV35 is due anytime now. Ive come to think it aint going to happen - oh well guess time will tell eitherway. :)

The Baron
04-08-03, 03:48 PM
NV35 will be in June. It won't have any of the launch problems that NV30 did (drivers, yield) because of the move to IBM and the fact that working NV35 silicon has been available since January...

RobHague
04-08-03, 03:49 PM
Hmmm where was this announced? The launch of the NV35 in June i mean? Will have to see what happens, looks like i may be upgrading my FX sooner than i thought ;)

sebazve
04-08-03, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
NV35 will be in June. It won't have any of the launch problems that NV30 did (drivers, yield) because of the move to IBM and the fact that working NV35 silicon has been available since January...

hmm june where did you read that it will probably be announce in june with lots of PRs crap and it will probably come on august/sept..my $2 cents

The Baron
04-08-03, 06:24 PM
It'll be launched at E3, which is in May sometime, so since yields are no longer a problem, it'll be out in June.

Wheeeee!

RobHague
04-08-03, 07:00 PM
Launched? I was pretty sure what i read said that it will be given a "First Look" at E3. Not a launch. *Shrugs* Be interesting to see what happens anyways.

The Baron
04-08-03, 07:44 PM
First Look = Paper Launch.. ;)

RobHague
04-08-03, 07:52 PM
Hmmmmm, we shall see.

<mumbles at nvidia> Bitchs! :rolleyes: (starts saving again)

DanCanovas
04-09-03, 07:11 AM
my FX came this morning. Going home from Uni tomorrow so I will test it and give some feedback in the next couple of weeks! Bit worried about this downclocking tho. Im sure it will be fine. Hate Half-life anyway!LOL

RobHague
04-09-03, 08:07 AM
It will be fine, in any modern game it has never downclocked on me. Its only done it 'once' in Counter-Strike.

Playing Splinter-Cell fine :D

I was just going to do some game benchmarks actually, i was gonna see how many FPS i could sqqqquuueeeze out of Quake3 heheheh.

stncttr908
04-09-03, 10:08 AM
God dammit, I want to get a 9800 Pro but now I have to consider the NV35. :D